Return to Baseball Leftovers

Players you won't touch

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Players you won't touch

Postby Zen82 » Sat Mar 10, 2007 12:58 pm

Each year, there's a laundry list of players that I won't go near at all, so long as the player doesn't drop drastically and fall into my lap. Who are some guys you definitely won't even be considering this year? Thought it might be interesting to put together some lists and critique others' lists......here's mine:

1. Justin Morneau - he'll probably be available in the 3rd round, but I just don't have confidence he can repeat his 2006 numbers. No way I see him hitting over .300 again this year for some reason.

2. Andruw Jones - far too streaky in H2H leagues for my taste. I like consistent outfielders a lot better than this guy.

3. Ichiro - I got burned by a 2nd rounder on him in 2005 when he did virtually nothing for my team (even though we have hits as a category). I just don't see him being valuable enough in H2H and I'd rather take a power guy over him in the 2nd or 3rd round.

4. Victor Martinez - Always goes way too early for me - I'd never burn a 5th rounder or better on him.

5. Dice-K - for some reason I see him too risky for where he'll be picked, and I probably won't be the one taking that risk.

6. Adam Dunn - far far too streaky. He'll hit 6 homers one week and none the next - and when he's not hitting jacks, he's worthless if you don't count OBP.

7. Carlos Delgado - for some reason, I always shy away from this guy - he's always pretty consistent, but never seems to be one of the elite fantasy guys...
Zen82
Little League Legend
Little League Legend

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Sp_Da_Man » Sat Mar 10, 2007 1:09 pm

I guess it's preference but I like all those guys you mentioned on your list. I think they'll all have real productive years.

The guys I tend to stay away from this year are pitchers coming back from injury or that always seem to get injured.

I've been burned over the years with Prior, Wood, J. Patterson, Harden & even Sheets. I'll let someone else roll the dice with them.
Sp_Da_Man
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: -2)

Postby Yoda » Sat Mar 10, 2007 1:14 pm

I don't think there is a guy I would avoid for the sake of avoiding them. It all depends on what a particular high risk/reward player costs, what other players are available at the time and what role that player will play on my team.
Yoda
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertMock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: -153)

Postby Koby Schellenger » Sat Mar 10, 2007 1:31 pm

There isn't anyone I would avoid at all costs but I would avoid some unless they slipped pretty far. Those guys include Gary Sheffield, Gary Matthews Jr, Gil Meche, Jeff Suppan and Chien-Ming Wang.

I don't think Sheffield is going to hold up physically and his production will drop as he moves to Detroit.

I don't buy Matthews success last year one bit. Now that he's out of Arlington, I don't think he'll have nearly the pop and more importantly, I think he's a bum. Just look at his past numbers.

Gil Meche moves to Kansas City and a tougher division. I don't think he'll replicate his numbers last year and he won't win many.

Jeff Suppan is more of a groundball pitcher and I don't trust the Milwaukee infield to help him enough, especially if Braun gets the starting job at third.

I don't think Chien-Ming Wang is that good. His value came in his wins primarily last season and those are hard to predict. The disparity in his statistics at home and on the road leads me to be skeptical of his overall numbers.
** http://www.moundtalk.com ** MLB June Mock Draft ongoing.
Koby Schellenger
College Coach
College Coach

Postby thedude » Sat Mar 10, 2007 1:40 pm

I will take anyone if i can get them late enough. For instance i have Griffey one one of my teams. I don't think he will hold up, but i got him very late in the draft, so i will use him while i can.
"I do not think baseball of today is any better than it was 30 years ago... I still think Radbourne is the greatest of the pitchers." John Sullivan 1914-Old athletes never change.
thedude
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: -397)

Postby Havok1517 » Sat Mar 10, 2007 1:49 pm

Chipper & Bonds
Havok1517
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe Writer
(Past Year: 24)

Postby stevekahuda » Sat Mar 10, 2007 1:50 pm

Adam Dunn, Richie Sexson, and Glauss (in HH). They'll kill you in an average league. I will also never draft Beltre.
stevekahuda
College Coach
College Coach

Postby yanks2007 » Sat Mar 10, 2007 1:55 pm

Havok1517 wrote:Chipper & Bonds

x2
yanks2007
T-Ball Trainer

Postby godallahstar » Sat Mar 10, 2007 2:01 pm

a player like adam dunn hardly effects your AVG at all in h2h,
in case you guys weren't aware.
godallahstar
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: -51)

Postby cobbs87 » Sat Mar 10, 2007 2:08 pm

Jhonny Peralta, Mark Prior, Barry Bonds, Bartolo Colon, Kerry Wood, Jermaine Dye(unless it's like 6th or 7th round)
cobbs87
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Cafe Writer
(Past Year: -14)

Next

Return to Baseball Leftovers