Return to Baseball Leftovers

Players you won't touch

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby greenandgold » Sat Mar 10, 2007 8:16 pm

tuff_gong wrote:I agree with what Yoda said earlier, I really don't think you can avoid a player just for the sake of doing it. Guys like Dunn and Blalock are kind of slipping in drafts....I'd take both of them with middle round picks.

To be honest I wouldn't even take Blalock with a waiver pick in standard Yahoo! leagues. I would have a hard time drafting Dunn with any intention other then to trade him.
greenandgold
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Cafe RankerMatchup Meltdown Survivor
(Past Year: -23)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Yoda » Sat Mar 10, 2007 8:37 pm

greenandgold wrote:
tuff_gong wrote:I agree with what Yoda said earlier, I really don't think you can avoid a player just for the sake of doing it. Guys like Dunn and Blalock are kind of slipping in drafts....I'd take both of them with middle round picks.

To be honest I wouldn't even take Blalock with a waiver pick in standard Yahoo! leagues. I would have a hard time drafting Dunn with any intention other then to trade him.

I would take Dunn in the 10th round and on this year. Blalock also in the later rounds.
Yoda
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertMock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: -153)

Postby Dan Lambskin » Sat Mar 10, 2007 8:49 pm

i'll never say never, but i play in one league with only 2 bench spots so after getting burned by Prior and Colon last year i am done with them...Harden too...and Sheets (if he fell i'd take him but he always goes higher than i'm willing to take him)
Dan Lambskin
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeLucky Ladders ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorTrivia Time Trial Monthly Winner
(Past Year: -115)

Postby wake » Sat Mar 10, 2007 9:41 pm

Mark Buehrle. I don't think he'll ever return to the pitcher he was before last year.
wake
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: -16)

Postby Rhydderch » Sat Mar 10, 2007 10:41 pm

Yoda wrote:
Rhydderch wrote:J.D Drew. I just think he's a do**he bag who only plays for the $.

Now that is a great reason to avoid a player who can potentially help you win your league. ;-7

Your right. I just hate seeing him on my roster and last year I had him and while he was healthy, he bleed games.
Rhydderch
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: -11)

Postby Trojan Pony » Sat Mar 10, 2007 10:49 pm

DevilDriver wrote:
Trojan Pony wrote:Mike Cameron and Torii Hunter. Hate, hate, hate. They suck two-thirds of the year and the one-third they put up all their numbers they're invariably on my bench. I've deleted both from my cheat sheets because I have such a strong aversion to them.

Cameron was pretty consistent last season. Look at his splits.

It's quite possible...I had him for a couple years and he was extremely annoying to manage, but that was a few seasons ago now. Either way, I still think he's overrated.
Trojan Pony
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: -125)

Postby ChipperJonesFanatic » Sat Mar 10, 2007 11:00 pm

I have a lot of guys I don't touch.

Chase Utley- It seems as though everyone is in love with this guy. Sure he is the best second baseman, but he is really overrated.

Joe Mauer- Way too overrated. He doesn't put up near the numbers as McCann, yet goes at least 3 rounds earlier.

Chien-Ming Wang- His Ks actually hurt you. Another overrated player in pinstripes. Wins are only one cat.

Robinson Cano- This guy is vastly overrated. Avg is only one category, and for the round people take him, I would much rather grab a stud SP.

Juan Pierre- I hate speed demons.

Chone Figgins- Never believed.

Delmon Young- I really like this kid, but I can't stomach taking him in the 7-10th round.

Hanley Ramirez- Solid SS, but I don't think he can repeat.

Derek Jeter- I guess I don't like Yankees. I can't imagine taking him in the early second round.

Justin Morneau- One year wonder.

Ryan Howard- You can only K so much...
Member #4 Of "The Official Zack Greinke Fan Club"
ChipperJonesFanatic
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Eagle Eye
(Past Year: -68)

Postby tuff_gong » Sat Mar 10, 2007 11:10 pm

greenandgold wrote:

I find it hard to believe that you would totally avoid, even with a last pick, a guy who hit 32 hr's in '04 and 25 in '05. And Dunn, even if he does have a terrible avg, how many people can you get in rounds 10-13 who are almost a lock for 40 hr's?

Well that's just like, your opinion man.
tuff_gong
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: -3)

Postby srb7215 » Sat Mar 10, 2007 11:11 pm

When I think of guys I won't draft I think of players that are just to big of a hassle to have on your team. Randy Johnson, Roger Clemens, Barry Bonds, Ken Griffey Jr, Garry Mathews Jr, Curt Schilling, Mark Prior, Kerry Wood, Mike Sweeney....These guys are hurt a lot or just don't seem to create more problems on a team than help that team out. There is a good possiblity that if any of these guys were dropped in one of my leagues I would let them stay there unless I just had a basic open spot. I would then look to trade them immediately.

I don't want Dunn on my team but if he was there late in the draft I would take him. Most of the guys I have seen are guys I would draft at the right time but usually don't last to the point I think they should be drafted.
"In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move." - Douglas Adams
srb7215
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Postby one ton » Sat Mar 10, 2007 11:42 pm

Count me as another who won't take Dunn. I had him last year, and it was just brutal. Not only does he destroy your average, he is the master of the solo homerun. He had 40 HR and 92 RBI last year!
one ton
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

(Past Year: -3)

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers