Return to Baseball Leftovers

Advice on draft preparation

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Advice on draft preparation

Postby pfalvey » Sat Mar 10, 2007 6:40 pm

Hello All,
I'm just getting back into fantasy BB again after about a 6-7 year hiatus and am looking for advice on draft day preparations. I am generally familiar with some draft strategies I've used for fantasy FB. Position scarcity and developing a plan to evaluate players in 30 stat categories (15 position/15 pitching) to keep me competitive.

Here are the stat categories in my 20 team, H2H league:
Position: R, 2B, 3B, HR, RBI, SB, BB, K, GIDP, E, FPCT, AVG, OBP, SLG, OPS

Pitcher: IP, W, CG, SHO, SV, ER, HR, BB, K, WP, SVOP, HLD, ERA, WHIP, K/9

My thoughts on evaluating players were to rate each player from 1-5 (5 being best) in each relevant category. I will of course use their recent performance history mixed with intuition to rate the players. During the draft I could then add up the ratings for the players I've drafted so far for each category and identify any areas of weakness. I would also use their total ratings to create a scarcity report for every position.

What is everybody's thoughts on preparing for the draft in this way. It seems time consuming, though I'm not working right now so I'd likely find the time. I also worry about over-preparing if you know what I mean. Any suggestions or tips would be greatly appreciated.
pfalvey
Little League Legend
Little League Legend

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Trojan Pony » Sat Mar 10, 2007 7:07 pm

I'm not experienced with that large of a league using that many categories but it sounds like as sound a strategy as any (but I could be overlooking a flaw)... I'd say it's definitely better than going in with rankings and ADP's from various websites since most of those are based around 12-team 5x5. Also, I'd recommend using position tiers...set up a certain number of tiers each assigned a range of "average points" or whatever you're using to rank your players. Doing so will make it easier to decide whether to go for that second baseman or closer in the next round, by looking at who is in the higher tier or who can be skipped for a player of similar value in a later round. Hope this helps...
Trojan Pony
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: -125)

Postby pfalvey » Sun Mar 11, 2007 12:14 pm

Thanks, Trojan Pony. Anyone have any other tips?
pfalvey
Little League Legend
Little League Legend

Return to Baseball Leftovers