Return to Baseball Leftovers

Draft stategy WHIR

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Draft stategy WHIR

Postby shoelessjoetara » Sun Mar 11, 2007 1:21 am

I have the 1st pick in a 14 team 5x5 roto league. I will take Pujols with that pick .I am thinking of drafting an OF and MI with my next 2 picks.My dilemma is should I pick up a pitcher with one of those 2 picks or do I draft a pitcher with my 4th and 5th picks.Is Lackey someone that I should consider if I wait until then or should I go for someone else.
shoelessjoetara Beginner
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: -3)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Ender » Sun Mar 11, 2007 1:34 am

I'd wait on the pitcher myself, grab an OF and a MI and then with the 4th pick grab whatever offensive guy and the best SP left.
Ender
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy Expert
(Past Year: -28)

Postby Tavish » Sun Mar 11, 2007 1:35 am

Take the best two players available. Don't lock yourself into an early round strategy, especially in a 14 team league. Supposing your first bookend came and you had evenly ranked players from several positions to choose from I would likely go with one of the top tier pitchers in there because it is basically a certainty that they will be gone along with maybe a couple 2nd tier guys when it comes back around with the next bookend.
Bury me a Royal.
Tavish
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterWeb Supporter
(Past Year: -510)

Postby PalmPilot » Sun Mar 11, 2007 2:36 pm

I have the same dilemna, I have the same pick in my 14-team 5X5 roto league. I'm trying to figure my strategy right now, although I am definitely not locking myself into anything. I would like to draft 2 offensive players with my 2nd and 3rd picks. And there are a few pitchers I'm hoping slip to me that I can grab one of them with my 4th/5th round picks.

I do hope I show some restraint/calm and not reach for anyone I really wanted when there are clearly better players left on the board.
PalmPilot
Little League Legend
Little League Legend

Postby shoelessjoetara » Sun Mar 11, 2007 2:41 pm

Hey Pilot ,if you dont mind me asking, what players or positions are you trying to fill with your first three picks. I am taking Pujols then I am hoping for an OF and a MI.
shoelessjoetara Beginner
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: -3)

Postby PalmPilot » Sun Mar 11, 2007 2:42 pm

I just sent you a PM.
PalmPilot
Little League Legend
Little League Legend

Postby Scout » Sun Mar 11, 2007 3:03 pm

Tavish wrote:Take the best two players available. Don't lock yourself into an early round strategy, especially in a 14 team league.

Perfect.
Scout
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: -2)

Postby hot4tx » Mon Mar 12, 2007 2:53 pm

I think there's TONS of value in waiting for SPs this year. Kaz, Sheets, Harden, even Felix reasonably could all pitch just as well as the 2nd/3rd rounders do this year. Also pitchers are still less consistent than hitters (both injury and performance) so if you draft hitter/hitter with your 2nd and 3rd picks you're more likely to keep your advantage over people picking after that. Whereas a Carpenter might is more likely to get hurt or have a "down year" than most hitters and it's more likely that someone picked in the 7th round pitches as well as him than it is a 7th round hitter hits as well as Bay (or whoever would be there for your swing).

If Santana's there, grab him otherwise I think I could find 2 hitters there I'd rather have than any pitchers. ;)
hot4tx
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 72)

Return to Baseball Leftovers