Return to Baseball Leftovers

first year playing fantasy baseball

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby srb7215 » Sun Mar 11, 2007 5:46 pm

RP are valuable. You don't want to over pay and you don't want to be stuck with McClung and Pineiro. Rivera, K-Rod and Nathan are the top 3 and they usually go around round 3 or so. After those three I would start looking at a Street or one of the Cordero's. It is usually good to get 2 solid closers but if you miss them start looking for setup men late in the draft that have a good chance to close. Broxton and Zumaya are usually considered most likely to close.
"In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move." - Douglas Adams
srb7215
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby pope » Sun Mar 11, 2007 6:05 pm

guillermo,

It takes a while to figure out Fantasy Baseball. It is more intricate and demanding than fantasy football. Stick around the cafe and you'll be winning leagues by next year ;-D
pope
College Coach
College Coach

(Past Year: -2)

Postby Old_Style » Sun Mar 11, 2007 6:10 pm

pope wrote:guillermo,

It takes a while to figure out Fantasy Baseball. It is more intricate and demanding than fantasy football. Stick around the cafe and you'll be winning leagues by next year ;-D

Indeed. Fantasy baseball involves more strategy while you're drafting. Fantasy Luckball involves, well...luck :-D
Old_Style
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: -218)

Re: first year playing fantasy baseball

Postby sadlyajetsfan » Sun Mar 11, 2007 6:39 pm

guillermo_hernadez wrote:a buddy of mine and I are joining a yahoo league this year.

Our draft is this wednesday and was wondering about some stradegies.

We play fantasy football every year. Running backs always go in the first round. Is this the same way with pitchers?

Thanks for the help

i took santana at 9/10 today and very confident. id compare pitcher to quarterbacks. theres manning in the first, after that theres prob 3 other top tier QBs that are interchangeable after that theres a ton of depth. i took santana first and the next pitcher was pretty late, maybe 6th. the categories matter a lot with how early to take a pitcher, if you have wins, strikes and a few other cats that SPs will do better than an RP in you may want to make sure to grab an ace
sadlyajetsfan
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: -5)

Postby whoseyourdaddy12 » Sun Mar 11, 2007 6:41 pm

are we starting with the football - baseball comparisons again?
Rubber Game Roster
ImageImage
whoseyourdaddy12
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Mock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: -3)
Home Cafe: Football
Location: Mission: break the curse of the Chicago Cubs in Rubber Game

Postby thedude » Sun Mar 11, 2007 8:14 pm

I am not going to say that pitchers are overrated, just a lot of veteran owners are more risk averse so they won't take a risk on a pitcher when there is a guy on the board who they know will produce .300/30/100. Look around at the mocks, draft results, and the rankings people have posted. those will give you a good idea of when to draft your first starter and your first closer.
"I do not think baseball of today is any better than it was 30 years ago... I still think Radbourne is the greatest of the pitchers." John Sullivan 1914-Old athletes never change.
thedude
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: -397)

Postby Chadgo5 » Mon Mar 12, 2007 12:06 pm

In our 13 team roto league, pitching wins titles. Every year for the last 10 years, the team with the best pitching won the title. And it makes sense. In a standard roto league you have 14 starting position players feeding 5 categories. While you have 9 (5 SP) pitchers feeding 5 categories. Your SP have to be good.

My recommendation, draft at least two of the top 10 pitchers. If you can get an Oswalt AND a Peavy (for example), you'll be good to go.

Just my opinion based on what works in our 15 year old league.
Chadgo5
College Coach
College Coach

(Past Year: 47)

Postby Art Vandelay » Mon Mar 12, 2007 12:21 pm

G Money,
There is some good advice in here, heed it. Also, consider doing a couple of mock drafts before you do your real one. And remember to wear clean underwear whenever you leave the house.
Love,
Mom
Art Vandelay
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: -11)

Previous

Return to Baseball Leftovers