Return to Baseball Leftovers

Zach Greinke

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Zach Greinke

Postby BrewCrew6 » Sun Mar 25, 2007 11:03 pm

I just added him, he is having a good spring and obviously has the potential. If his nervous breakdown is a thing of the past, he should be a steal. This spring, he has 19 IP, 3.32 ERA with 21K/2BB. Im taking a flier on him. Anyone else with any thoughts?
BrewCrew6
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Home Cafe: Football

Postby tianyi86 » Sun Mar 25, 2007 11:16 pm

I'm not buying. Spring training don't really mean that much, and even if Greinke do have a "good season" and have era around 4, he won't get more than 10 wins playing for KC, and more likely, he will explode and post era around 5 like he did before.
tianyi86
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: -2)
Home Cafe: Basketball

Postby TheRock » Sun Mar 25, 2007 11:19 pm

Depending on the depth of the league he might be worth a bench spot. But the odds are kinda stacked against him this year. He's on my watch list.
TheRock
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicCafe WriterMock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: -15)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby chadxor » Mon Mar 26, 2007 12:31 am

tianyi86 wrote:I'm not buying. Spring training don't really mean that much, and even if Greinke do have a "good season" and have era around 4, he won't get more than 10 wins playing for KC, and more likely, he will explode and post era around 5 like he did before.

I'm buying big time. This is a guy you can get easily in the last round who had Maddux potential. I'd love to take a chance on a talent like that.

Besides, wins are a crapshoot anyway. I realize it's still a cat, but in the later rounds I'm not even thinking about wins. Only production.
chadxor
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: -1)

Postby Morrison8312 » Mon Mar 26, 2007 12:31 am

Y`s Guy wrote:Zach was just dubbed KC's #3 starter. He is very young and that control is quite gaudy. Remember, he was a phenom a couple of springs ago and his recent absence was not physical. Medications can help a lot nowadays when it comes to psycho stuff.

I am grabbing him.

Zach is back!!

Greinke vs Dice K....should be fun to watch ;-D :-)
Morrison8312
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Mock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: -19)

Postby AcidRock23 » Mon Mar 26, 2007 7:54 am

I am almost wondering if the Royals might have some potential to be the Tigers of this year somehow? They are still a bit thin for my taste but, at this time last year, Detroit was pretty widely ranked neck and neck w/ KC until they came out of the gate (ridiculously) hot. The Royals have added some young studs, dumped the Alberroatross around their shortstop and have some intriguing SP and Dotel all added into their mix at once. :-?
AcidRock23
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicCafe WriterEagle Eye
(Past Year: -18)

Postby ironman » Mon Mar 26, 2007 9:55 am

AcidRock23 wrote:I am almost wondering if the Royals might have some potential to be the Tigers of this year somehow? They are still a bit thin for my taste but, at this time last year, Detroit was pretty widely ranked neck and neck w/ KC until they came out of the gate (ridiculously) hot. The Royals have added some young studs, dumped the Alberroatross around their shortstop and have some intriguing SP and Dotel all added into their mix at once. :-?

They've still got a lot of question marks on that team though. But they should most definitely be more improved. Unfortunately they're playing in the toughest division and I can't get too pumped for a team that has Gil Meche as their #1 starter. Toss KC in the NL Central though and I think they would turn a lot more heads.

My prediction is that while they won't contend, with the unbalanced schedule they are going to play spoiler give one of the other 4 teams in that division an absolute fit, and probably cost them a Wild Card spot.
ironman
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerEagle EyeWeb Supporter
(Past Year: -157)

Postby J35J » Mon Mar 26, 2007 10:21 am

I won't touch him unless I'm in a pretty deap league. I've never thought he quite had the stuff to live up to all the expectations and then he becomes a head case on top of that. I'll definately watch all his starts and keep an eye on him, since I'm from KC, but I have zero expectations once the season starts.
J35J
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: -42)

Postby Legia13 » Mon Mar 26, 2007 12:19 pm

Actually, I think they're an ace away from being pretty damn good. That is, if EVERYBODY plays up to their potential (which is very unlikely of course). What I'm trying to say though, is that they have talent and potential.
Legia13
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: -6)

Next

Return to Baseball Leftovers