Return to Baseball Leftovers

Dice-K for Cy Young?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Dice-K for Cy Young?

Postby Captain Jack Sparrow » Thu Mar 29, 2007 10:15 pm

MLB.com has an article that puts Matsuzaka as the frontrunner for AL Cy Young.

Ok, the hype has gone too far. I'm sure he'll be good, but that's just plain disrespectful to Johan.

http://mlb.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd ... &fext=.jsp
Captain Jack Sparrow
College Coach
College Coach

(Past Year: -11)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby bleach168 » Thu Mar 29, 2007 10:17 pm

I could name a half dozen AL starters who have a better chance at the Cy.
"And so he spoke, and so he spoke, that lord of Castamere. But now the rains weep o'er his hall, with no one there to hear." - The Rains of Castamere
bleach168
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy Expert
(Past Year: -11)

Postby Doughhead » Thu Mar 29, 2007 10:19 pm

Yeah, that's just plain ridiculous. How can they rank him ahead of Johan? Then again, Bronson Arroyo made the top 5 for the NL list, so take this with at least one grain of salt.
DOUGHHEAD
Doughhead
General Manager
General Manager

Fantasy Expert
(Past Year: -3)

Postby sportsaddict » Thu Mar 29, 2007 10:22 pm

I am so freaking sick of this Dice-K talk. Dice K this, Dice K that, I don't care. Look, we know hes got good stuff. We know he's an interesting story and plays for a big market team, but this guy is not going to be all that great in the majors. I see him starting off the year great, then once people start to adjust, he'll be an average starter.
"Oh, that Lankford and McGee, the trio of 'em. They're a one-man wrecking crew."

-Mike Shannon
sportsaddict
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: -24)

Postby mweir145 » Thu Mar 29, 2007 10:26 pm

First of all, it's crazy that Roy Halladay didn't even make the list. This article was posted on a Blue Jays forum I frequent, and the board went into an uproar over this guy's article. :-b

And second of all, how can any writer possibly have anyone, especially Matsuzaka, ahead of Johan Santana in a Cy Young ranking list?
mweir145
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Eagle Eye
(Past Year: -320)

Postby thedude » Thu Mar 29, 2007 10:26 pm

i Suppose the winner isn't always win the best pitcher (zito and Colon), but you have to think Johan is the current frontrunner.
"I do not think baseball of today is any better than it was 30 years ago... I still think Radbourne is the greatest of the pitchers." John Sullivan 1914-Old athletes never change.
thedude
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: -397)

Postby Old_Style » Thu Mar 29, 2007 10:28 pm

sportsaddict wrote:I am so freaking sick of this Dice-K talk. Dice K this, Dice K that, I don't care. Look, we know hes got good stuff. We know he's an interesting story and plays for a big market team, but this guy is not going to be all that great in the majors. I see him starting off the year great, then once people start to adjust, he'll be an average starter.

Sounds like somebody's jealous...
Old_Style
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: -218)

Postby sportsaddict » Thu Mar 29, 2007 10:31 pm

Old_Style wrote:
sportsaddict wrote:I am so freaking sick of this Dice-K talk. Dice K this, Dice K that, I don't care. Look, we know hes got good stuff. We know he's an interesting story and plays for a big market team, but this guy is not going to be all that great in the majors. I see him starting off the year great, then once people start to adjust, he'll be an average starter.

Sounds like somebody's jealous...

Not jealous, just fed up.

Well ok, a little jealous. :-b
"Oh, that Lankford and McGee, the trio of 'em. They're a one-man wrecking crew."

-Mike Shannon
sportsaddict
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: -24)

Postby ondeckb » Thu Mar 29, 2007 10:39 pm

I thought they handed out these awards at the END of the year......... 8-o
"Ninety feet between bases is the closest man has ever come to perfection"
ondeckb
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: -10)

Postby The Loveable Losers » Thu Mar 29, 2007 10:39 pm

In Daisuke's defense here I'd definitely put him in the discussion at least. And not because I think he's one of the top-5 pitchers in the AL. Basically to win the Cy Young you have to compile a ton of wins. It's an idiotic system where a ton of the voters are completely clueless. With a bit of luck Daisuke could post a respectable enough era in the mid-to-low 3's. That's not where I have him projected but era is variable enough where that's not out of the question. I'll put the Red Sox offense up against pretty much anyone in the AL...there's few that stack up favorably against it. Combine a solid era with great run support and a bit of luck with his team getting him the leads and the bullpen holding on to those leads and voila, Cy Young.

Is he one of the top-5 pitchers in the AL? I don't think so although he might be closer than a lot of people think. Is he in the top-5 of likely Cy Young candidates? If that offense does what I think it can do this year then he very well may be. The Yankees don't really have anyone that can do it. Halladay is in the discussion in Frank Thomas rakes, Vernon Wells can do what he did in 1h 2006 and nobody else drops off. And Johan is Johan...I don't see how you can ever put him anywhere other than #1 in the pre-season. And I think Sabathia is a nice dark-horse candidate here as the Indians (2nd most runs in the majors last year) are going to sneak up on some people this year.
Hope springs eternal
grows like ivy on the vine
then dies in the fall

--Haiku for a Cubs Fan, The Loveable Losers
The Loveable Losers
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterWeb Supporter
(Past Year: 235)

Next

Return to Baseball Leftovers