Return to Baseball Leftovers

Haters beware

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby j_d_mcnugent » Thu Apr 05, 2007 6:50 pm

Deuce wrote:
Jose and a syringe mean anything to you. It wasn't only Andor, but that is very romantic. I was also entertained by Mark Mcgwire. Would you care if Mike Tyson was on steroids during his hey day?

we were arguing about what was publicly known in 1998. there were suspicions, questions, etc in 1998, but all we knew at the time was that mcgwire walked in a store and bought a substance that was at that time legal both in the united states and mlb. we learned later that there was other stuff going on.
back from the dead
j_d_mcnugent
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicCafe Ranker
(Past Year: -292)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Art Vandelay » Thu Apr 05, 2007 7:07 pm

OREO fan wrote:I honestly don't remember the country's reaction to Bonds breaking McGwire's record in 2001. Was it predominantly positive or negative?

Negative. The same way that the reaction to everything Bonds has done is negative. People don't care that a record is broken, they care that a record is being broken by Barry Bonds.
Art Vandelay
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: -11)

Postby OREO fan » Thu Apr 05, 2007 7:13 pm

Art Vandelay wrote:
OREO fan wrote:I honestly don't remember the country's reaction to Bonds breaking McGwire's record in 2001. Was it predominantly positive or negative?

Negative. The same way that the reaction to everything Bonds has done is negative. People don't care that a record is broken, they care that a record is being broken by Barry Bonds.

Was it negative due to steroid/drug implications or simply because people don't like Bonds?
OREO fan
College Coach
College Coach

(Past Year: -8)

Postby TheRock » Thu Apr 05, 2007 7:16 pm

wrveres wrote:
TheRock wrote:
wrveres wrote:
TheRock wrote:
wrveres wrote:Anabolic steroids have been associated with potentially fatal side effects, including heart attacks, cancers, liver dysfunction, and severe disorders of mood and mental function.

And here's the heart of the issue. Steroids are dangerous and therefore can't be lumped together with pine tar as "just another way those silly ball players try to cheat". Can't believe the number of people flippantly defending the poster boy for steroids himself. How many young athletes will suffer injuries or die trying to be like this ape of a man you can't stop praising?

an ape huh,, good stuff.
what about the children ... classic.

Hey, maybe you can show me a link to the bodies. I hate to sound morbid, but I have searched for years and cannot find all these bodies located in the morgues do to steroid use. There just isn't any.

Perhaps you should read the bolded section above. FROM YOUR OWN POST. Sorry, didn't know it would be so hard for you to find.

So you are saying you don't have a link.
But yet you are convinced that kids are just kicking it left and right trying to be like "Ape Man" .. (good choice of words by the way).
I am not buying it. A link with some actual percentages of toe tags might sway me though.

Wow, now you're actually arguing that steroids aren't dangerous, despite what I pulled from what YOU posted earlier. Pretty common knowledge, actually. I'm just going to call you "head-in-the-sand wrveres".
TheRock
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicCafe WriterMock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: -15)

Postby wrveres » Thu Apr 05, 2007 7:16 pm

Art Vandelay wrote:

this is true.

Greenies were equivalent to a cup of coffee or so the haters said, until Bonds name was attached to them. Once that story broke, children all over the country started keeling over and croaking left and right.
wrveres
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe Musketeer
(Past Year: -313)

Postby wrveres » Thu Apr 05, 2007 7:20 pm

TheRock wrote:
wrveres wrote:
TheRock wrote:
wrveres wrote:
TheRock wrote:
wrveres wrote:Anabolic steroids have been associated with potentially fatal side effects, including heart attacks, cancers, liver dysfunction, and severe disorders of mood and mental function.

And here's the heart of the issue. Steroids are dangerous and therefore can't be lumped together with pine tar as "just another way those silly ball players try to cheat". Can't believe the number of people flippantly defending the poster boy for steroids himself. How many young athletes will suffer injuries or die trying to be like this ape of a man you can't stop praising?

an ape huh,, good stuff.

Hey, maybe you can show me a link to the bodies. I hate to sound morbid, but I have searched for years and cannot find all these bodies located in the morgues do to steroid use. There just isn't any.

Perhaps you should read the bolded section above. FROM YOUR OWN POST. Sorry, didn't know it would be so hard for you to find.

But yet you are convinced that kids are just kicking it left and right trying to be like "Ape Man" .. (good choice of words by the way).
I am not buying it. A link with some actual percentages of toe tags might sway me though.

Wow, now you're actually arguing that steroids aren't dangerous, despite what I pulled from what YOU posted earlier. Pretty common knowledge, actually. I'm just going to call you "head-in-the-sand wrveres".

"Head in the sand wrveres" defending "Ape Man" ..
get it right ..

Next you will call me ignorant and some how related to Barry.
Every once in a while somebody tells me that I only think this way because of my skin color.
Thats usually the M.O. around here.

"ape man" .. classic
wrveres
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby TheRock » Thu Apr 05, 2007 7:26 pm

wrveres wrote:
TheRock wrote:
wrveres wrote:
TheRock wrote:
wrveres wrote:
TheRock wrote:

an ape huh,, good stuff.

"Head in the sand wrveres" defending "Ape Man" ..
get it right ..

Next you will call me ignorant and some how related to Barry.
Every once in a while somebody tells me that I only think this way because of my skin color.
Thats usually the M.O. around here.

"ape man" .. classic

Are you capable of staying on topic? You quoted an article quite eloquently stating what we already know - steroids are dangerous. And now what? You think they're not? You think high school kids aren't using them? You don't see that as a problem? Or is it all part of the grand conspiracy cooked up by a couple of reporters?
TheRock
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicCafe WriterMock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: -15)

Postby wrveres » Thu Apr 05, 2007 7:35 pm

If used properly, I don't think steroids are dangerous at all. Its when you start abusing them, like with any other drug, that they become dangerous.
Once this trumped up media scare dies down, and you all put away your pitchforks and hanging nooses, it is my guess that within the next 10 years you will be able to get your steroids and HGH supplements right next to the Slim Jims at your local 7-11.
wrveres
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby bigh0rt » Thu Apr 05, 2007 7:47 pm

Art Vandelay wrote:

Bingo.
bigh0rt
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 376)

Postby bigh0rt » Thu Apr 05, 2007 8:43 pm

What do you guys think about him wearing number 42?
bigh0rt
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 376)

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers