Return to Baseball Leftovers

Haters beware

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby wrveres » Sat Apr 07, 2007 3:33 pm

The Loveable Losers wrote:I absolutely agree with the level of attention being different. I question the level of acrimony more than the level of attention. Even so, for me it's not about individual players. My assumption is that this is a systemic problem and I'm not going to fault individual players for faults within the system. I realize some people out there have legitimate opinions that differ with mine on this issue. But even given those legitimate opinions the vitriolic hatred towards Bonds displayed by some people still gives me pause...can it just be the records and the notoriety that cause this hatred? I think it has to be more than that for some people...you don't see people talking about how they just wish McGwire would disappear forever off the face of the earth never to be heard from again. Even now the primary desire I've heard from the McGwire detractors is for him to come forward and own up to his mistakes because, as we all know, it's 'for the children'. With Bonds you don't hear people wish he would talk...you hear people wish he would shut up or just disappear.

That hatred has been stirred up by the media, You need to look no farther.
wrveres
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe Musketeer
(Past Year: -313)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby mbuser » Sat Apr 07, 2007 5:06 pm

mcgwire had a chance to come clean and he acted like a fool. raffy had his chance and lied. do you think they've been vilified much less than bonds? the reason people want bonds to go away is because he still puts on a uniform every day, and is on the precipice of passing hank aaron. people want mcgwire to fess up because he has disappeared, and all we've got left is the image of him saying that he didnt want to talk about the past

sanchez hit .163 with the marlins in ST this season and was subsequently released. not sure it was steroids that got him 'blackballed' there

i think it's ridiculous the way the NFL handles that stuff, but that could be a thread unto itself. merriman is a clown, and the fact that he was even considered for DPOY is a joke. that said, if it were tom brady, manning, etc, it would be a much bigger story and there would be a much greater sense of public opinion. since most can agree that the media sets the tone for a lot of this, i think that's a pretty logical conclusion
mbuser
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Cafeholic
(Past Year: 73)
Home Cafe: Basketball

Postby Deuce » Sat Apr 07, 2007 11:08 pm

Day night turn around, Bonds took the day off.
The glass is neither half full nor half empty... It is simply a glass
Deuce
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Lucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby teddy ballgame » Sat Apr 07, 2007 11:12 pm

Deuce wrote:Day night turn around, Bonds took the day off.

Why are we bumping this thread for that? That's what the Injury/Player Update and Who to Start/Bench forums are for. I mean I know you want to keep fueling a fight but I think it's getting kind of old.
teddy ballgame
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: -350)

Postby wrveres » Sat Apr 07, 2007 11:15 pm

teddy ballgame wrote:

Why are we bumping this thread for that? That's what the Injury/Player Update and Who to Start/Bench forums are for. Image
lol, I have no problem making sure the Haters finally get some "facts" once in while. Image.
wrveres
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby teddy ballgame » Sat Apr 07, 2007 11:19 pm

wrveres wrote:
teddy ballgame wrote:

Why are we bumping this thread for that? That's what the Injury/Player Update and Who to Start/Bench forums are for. Image
lol, I have no problem making sure the Haters finally get some "facts" once in while. Image.

I don't disagree...the debate is one that will go on forever and continuing it only means more people will "see the light" but if he's not even going to add something significant to the discussion it's kind of over the top to keep trying to start a fight.
teddy ballgame
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: -350)

Postby wrveres » Sat Apr 07, 2007 11:37 pm

mbuser wrote:mcgwire had a chance to come clean and he acted like a fool. raffy had his chance and lied. do you think they've been vilified much less than bonds? the reason people want bonds to go away is because he still puts on a uniform every day, and is on the precipice of passing hank aaron. people want mcgwire to fess up because he has disappeared, and all we've got left is the image of him saying that he didnt want to talk about the past

sanchez hit .163 with the marlins in ST this season and was subsequently released. not sure it was steroids that got him 'blackballed' there

i think it's ridiculous the way the NFL handles that stuff, but that could be a thread unto itself. merriman is a clown, and the fact that he was even considered for DPOY is a joke. that said, if it were tom brady, manning, etc, it would be a much bigger story and there would be a much greater sense of public opinion. since most can agree that the media sets the tone for a lot of this, i think that's a pretty logical conclusion

Just out of curiosity. Why do you feel that these players need to come clean, before they can "be off the hook". They are not in a position of authority. They are not accountable to anybody but them selves. They play a game. They are entertainers. What right does Congress have to hold their piss and blood in some secret vault, other than to satisfy the media's disturbed "need to know".

Heck, even Mark McGwire said in his opening statement before Congress:

Asking me or any other player to answer questions about who took steroids in front of television cameras will not solve the problem. If a player answers 'No,' he simply will not be believed; if he answers 'Yes,' he risks public scorn and endless government investigations. I'm not here to talk about the past. My lawyers have advised me that I cannot answer these questions without jeopardizing my friends, my family, and myself.

And the Media has done everything in their power to prove him right ever since. It is sad.
What I don't get is why the Media feels they need to be the enemy to these ballplayers here. Not just baseball players, but all ballplayers. Football, Basketball you name it. They used to be the story tellers of the great feats, and they protected the players. Now they can't wait at the chance to drag a player thru the mud, so that they can get the most "hits" on their web story.

sad.
wrveres
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby Deuce » Sat Apr 07, 2007 11:42 pm

teddy ballgame wrote:
wrveres wrote:
teddy ballgame wrote:

I don't disagree...the debate is one that will go on forever and continuing it only means more people will "see the light" but if he's not even going to add something significant to the discussion it's kind of over the top to keep trying to start a fight.

No, this thread is actually about Barry Bonds having a good 2007 season. And, once again when the name Bonds is mentioned, a steroid debate ensues. So much so, that the discussion veered into the NFL. Simply stating he took a day off, I thought was more relevent to the thread topic.
And so again I say,
Bonds is going to have a very good 2007 Season
The glass is neither half full nor half empty... It is simply a glass
Deuce
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Lucky Ladders Weekly Winner

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers