Return to Baseball Leftovers

Haters beware

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby mweir145 » Sat Apr 07, 2007 11:53 pm

wrveres wrote:
mbuser wrote:mcgwire had a chance to come clean and he acted like a fool. raffy had his chance and lied. do you think they've been vilified much less than bonds? the reason people want bonds to go away is because he still puts on a uniform every day, and is on the precipice of passing hank aaron. people want mcgwire to fess up because he has disappeared, and all we've got left is the image of him saying that he didnt want to talk about the past

sanchez hit .163 with the marlins in ST this season and was subsequently released. not sure it was steroids that got him 'blackballed' there

i think it's ridiculous the way the NFL handles that stuff, but that could be a thread unto itself. merriman is a clown, and the fact that he was even considered for DPOY is a joke. that said, if it were tom brady, manning, etc, it would be a much bigger story and there would be a much greater sense of public opinion. since most can agree that the media sets the tone for a lot of this, i think that's a pretty logical conclusion

Just out of curiosity. Why do you feel that these players need to come clean, before they can "be off the hook". They are not in a position of authority. They are not accountable to anybody but them selves. They play a game. They are entertainers. What right does Congress have to hold their piss and blood in some secret vault, other than to satisfy the media's disturbed "need to know".

Heck, even Mark McGwire said in his opening statement before Congress:

Asking me or any other player to answer questions about who took steroids in front of television cameras will not solve the problem. If a player answers 'No,' he simply will not be believed; if he answers 'Yes,' he risks public scorn and endless government investigations. I'm not here to talk about the past. My lawyers have advised me that I cannot answer these questions without jeopardizing my friends, my family, and myself.

And the Media has done everything in their power to prove him right ever since. It is sad.
What I don't get is why the Media feels they need to be the enemy to these ballplayers here. Not just baseball players, but all ballplayers. Football, Basketball you name it. They used to be the story tellers of the great feats, and they protected the players. Now they can't wait at the chance to drag a player thru the mud, so that they can get the most "hits" on their web story.

sad.

Exactly. I had actually read what mbuser wrote earlier, and was going to write a post similar to your's after the Jays game finished. McGwire didn't act like a fool at all, he merely told the truth. He was in a lose-lose situation in answering their questions which were utterly pointless (I mean really, why does congress care about whether Mark McGwire took steroids during his playing career?) and were all a show for the media.
mweir145
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Eagle Eye
(Past Year: -320)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby mweir145 » Sat Apr 07, 2007 11:54 pm

Deuce wrote:
teddy ballgame wrote:
wrveres wrote:
teddy ballgame wrote:
Deuce wrote:Day night turn around, Bonds took the day off.

Why are we bumping this thread for that? That's what the Injury/Player Update and Who to Start/Bench forums are for. Image
lol, I have no problem making sure the Haters finally get some "facts" once in while. Image.

I don't disagree...the debate is one that will go on forever and continuing it only means more people will "see the light" but if he's not even going to add something significant to the discussion it's kind of over the top to keep trying to start a fight.

No, this thread is actually about Barry Bonds having a good 2007 season. And, once again when the name Bonds is mentioned, a steroid debate ensues. So much so, that the discussion veered into the NFL. Simply stating he took a day off, I thought was more relevent to the thread topic.
And so again I say,
Bonds is going to have a very good 2007 Season

Deuce, you knew exactly what this thread would develop into. Don't play dumb.
mweir145
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Eagle Eye
(Past Year: -320)

Postby wrveres » Sun Apr 08, 2007 12:17 am

Here is few people in this thread that have never met Barry Bonds. Probably have never been within 40 feet of him.
Their only perception of him is through a biased media's pen. A media that trashed his father, and a media that Bonds has refused to cater to.
His only crime is not kissing the ass of the self appointed, Judge, Jury and Executioner ..Media.

Bloody Sox wrote:No - the real question is: Why in the hell would anyone actually root for Barry Bonds? Does the man have a single redeeming quality about him? Forget the steroids issue - we all know half the guys in MLB were using them. The guy is 100% pure JERK. Rude, arrogant, immature, conceited, loathsome. I can't see for the life of me how he has any supporters other than "I'm from SF, so he's my guy!". Is it just that you guys don't like that everyone hates him so you need to take up a contrary position? There's gotta be more to it than that.
thedude wrote:ImageImageImageImageImage

I don't try to change the mind of the delusion and the ignorant, no what evidence you present they still won't change their stance.
josebach wrote:I think you pretty much summed up not only why I don't like him, but why people support him. A lot of people feel he's bullied by the fans and press so they stick up for him. I also think that "fans" of Barry Bonds are fans of how he plays baseball, not him as a person. If somebody is actually a fan of Barry Bonds as a person, there's an extremely high probability that that person is a jerk too.
jjaeger wrote:While I don't like an athelete (or anyone) who is an arrogant prick, it is good to have bad guys. Makes for better storylines:)
TheRock wrote:Can't believe the number of people flippantly defending the poster boy for steroids himself. How many young athletes will suffer injuries or die trying to be like this ape of a man you can't stop praising?
wrveres
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe Musketeer
(Past Year: -313)

Postby jnormy » Sun Apr 08, 2007 12:23 am

Yeah, that's it, it's the media's fault. No wait, maybe it was their upbringing. No no, blame society. Perhaps they just need some new high-priced therapists to help them find their center, or a trip with Britney to the nearest Hollywood rehab clinic. Nah, they watched too much TV growing up. Nope, it's the American education system, that's what it's gotta be. Or here's one of my favorites... they got too much, too fast and couldn't handle it. Boo hoo.

Why does NOBODY take responsibility for their own damn actions anymore? It's not always the evil freakin' media... sometimes people really do f&%k up all on their own. In the case of McGuire and co., this was one of those times. Mac doesn't want to talk about the past, all of a sudden Sammy needs someone else to speak English for him, Palmiero points his finger defiantly. Those testimonies were a collective joke, involving people with GUILT written all over their 'roids-bloated faces.
jnormy
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 31)

Postby jnormy » Sun Apr 08, 2007 12:31 am

wrveres wrote:Here is few people in this thread that have never met Barry Bonds. Probably have never been within 40 feet of him.
Their only perception of him is through a biased media's pen. A media that trashed his father, and a media that Bonds has refused to cater to.
His only crime is not kissing the ass of the self appointed, Judge, Jury and Executioner ..Media.

So you know all those members of the media personally? 'Cause you're trashing them collectively, so I figure, based on what you say above, that either you must have met each and every one of them before passing judgement on them, or you're a hypocrite.

And on top of that you're best of friends with Barry's dad, and Barry himself too? Is that how you're able to decide that the media is biased about them? Pray tell, where do you get all your insider information? Barry's ESPN reality show?
jnormy
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby wrveres » Sun Apr 08, 2007 12:42 am

jnormy wrote:And on top of that you're best of friends with Barry's dad, and Barry himself too? Is that how you're able to decide that the media is biased about them? Pray tell, where do you get all your insider information? Barry's ESPN reality show?

Omnipotent? :)
wrveres 04/05/07 18:20:19 wrote:Next you will call me ignorant and some how related to Barry.
Every once in a while somebody tells me that I only think this way because of my skin color.
Thats usually the M.O. around here.
wrveres
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby wrveres » Sun Apr 08, 2007 12:45 am

RocketsDWM wrote:Just lock the thread. Nothing good is coming from this conversation.

I disagree. We had a decent discussion about HGH in here, among other things. For the most part everybody has been civil. (except me probably)
We even have a known sports writer with the ability to reach millions, participating in the discussion. If we can open his eyes, and get him to enjoy Barry for what he is, one of the greatest baseball players ever, instead of some tool to vilify so that he can garnish hits on his web page from the sheep, that to me is progress.

on the other hand, this has been your contributions to the thread ..

RocketsDWM wrote:You said you wanted a good baseball discussion yet the title of the thread is "Haters Beware". Hypocrisy reigns supreme once again. Seems to always happen in these threads.
RocketsDWM wrote:So why take it if it doesnt help you?
RocketsDWM wrote:jj - why would an athlete take HGH or steroids if it didnt help them? why even bother taking it?
RocketsDWM wrote:So you decided to group us all together? I never rooted for Mark and never will.Baaaah humbug.
RocketsDWM wrote:And deuce - you knew what you were getting into when creating this thread....dont be that ignorant. If it was "Bonds for MVP" - I could live with that. It is a legitimate question that could be debated. But your basically sending an open invite to all of the supposed "haters" to spew their rhetoric so that you can answer them and spew the same bs that is always said in these threads. We know where both sides stand. And no one is moving.
RocketsDWM wrote:So when the SF slugger aka "national treasure" tested positive for amphetamines, that was all the media too?
RocketsDWM wrote:Go Bonds Image

and I bet you can't figure out why I would just be happier blocking your posts, from my monitor. ;)
wrveres
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby jnormy » Sun Apr 08, 2007 12:52 am

wrveres wrote:
jnormy wrote:And on top of that you're best of friends with Barry's dad, and Barry himself too? Is that how you're able to decide that the media is biased about them? Pray tell, where do you get all your insider information? Barry's ESPN reality show?

Omnipotent? :)
wrveres 04/05/07 18:20:19 wrote:Next you will call me ignorant and some how related to Barry.
Every once in a while somebody tells me that I only think this way because of my skin color.
Thats usually the M.O. around here.

LOL... that IS a joke right? I neither called you ignorant nor did I say or even suggest that you were related to Barry. So, exactly why did you dig this old statement up in regard to my comments? :-?
jnormy
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby jnormy » Sun Apr 08, 2007 12:59 am

RocketsDWM wrote:
I've posted more than that. But its typical of you to cut out some things. Not surpirsed at all.

Where is that firefox add-on? I could really use it.

Baaah.

Isn't it ironic? The guy who keeps blasting the biased media is selectively quoting small segments of posts to make somebody else look bad. Priceless! :*)
jnormy
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers