Return to Baseball Leftovers

K-Rod = Cheater?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby LSU31always » Thu Apr 05, 2007 11:40 am

teddy ballgame wrote:That's interesting, although I'd need to see a video before making any conclusions.

http://media.putfile.com/Francisco-Rodr ... es-Version
LSU31always
T-Ball Trainer

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby HKDflip » Thu Apr 05, 2007 12:24 pm

Thats some crazy stuff....I dont know what to think. Very suspicious though. We should watch him next game.
2004 Curs3 R3v3rs3d
HKDflip
College Coach
College Coach

(Past Year: -4)

Postby RedWoodTree824 » Thu Apr 05, 2007 12:51 pm

I think K-Rod is a nasty as it gets as a pitcher, and he doesnt need to cheat. If he did cheat, I dont think the evidence is enough to have him suspended over suspicion. I think people will be watching him closely from now on, and he will still be lights out.
RedWoodTree824
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Graphics Expert
(Past Year: -60)

Postby George_Foreman » Thu Apr 05, 2007 1:14 pm

My god! He fiddles with his hat!

Are there not tons of other guys who also have odd ticks or things they do? Why do we assume this isn't one of them and must therefore be cheating?

All this because some Mariner homer was bitter that his team got worked and made a video. ;-7
"I don't buy everything I read,
I havn't even read everything I've bought"

"I find it more comforting to believe that this [life] isn't simply a test."
George_Foreman
General Manager
General Manager

(Past Year: -9)

Postby hookem2003 » Thu Apr 05, 2007 1:31 pm

They were just talking about this on dallas radio. Going back on tivo that past two outings, the spot was noticible both games. K Rod only went to that spot after he got a new ball both games. One guy suggested that it was lithium grease b/c it a) looks just like it (b)doesn't leave a stain (c) works really well in a groove (seam), and (d) can be rubbed away quickly in the event of getting caught. It definitely starts to sound fishy.
Last edited by hookem2003 on Thu Apr 05, 2007 1:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
hookem2003
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: -1)

Postby pokerplaya » Thu Apr 05, 2007 1:33 pm

George_Foreman wrote:My god! He fiddles with his hat!

Are there not tons of other guys who also have odd ticks or things they do? Why do we assume this isn't one of them and must therefore be cheating?

All this because some Mariner homer was bitter that his team got worked and made a video. ;-7

Seems like you already have your mind made up about this as well so you are just as closed minded as everyone else...
pokerplaya
Kitchen Staff
Kitchen Staff

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: -231)

Postby George_Foreman » Thu Apr 05, 2007 1:38 pm

Quite the contrary. I think the "evidence" is trivial. The sum total of the evidence is "He fiddles with his hat in an odd way" and "His looked like it was dirty around where he was fiddling, never mind that there isn't one direct, non-shadowed angle of it".

And that's just not nearly enough to justify the attention this is getting.
"I don't buy everything I read,
I havn't even read everything I've bought"

"I find it more comforting to believe that this [life] isn't simply a test."
George_Foreman
General Manager
General Manager

(Past Year: -9)

Postby Another Blown Save » Thu Apr 05, 2007 2:24 pm

MLB looking into this

Angels closer cheating? MLB checking it out

12:48 PM CDT on Thursday, April 5, 2007

By RICHARD DURRETT / The Dallas Morning News
mailto:rdurrett@dallasnews.com

Major League Baseball confirmed Thursday morning that it is investigating if Los Angeles Angels closer Francisco Rodriguez doctored the baseball during two appearances against the Rangers this week.

A Web site, The Cheater's Guide to Baseball Blog, accused Rodriguez of having a substance under the bill of his cap and using it as he closed games Monday night and Wednesday afternoon.

Rangers general manager Jon Daniels said he was alerted to the site on Wednesday, but he said the team didn't contact MLB about Rodriguez.

Pat Courtney, a spokesman for Major League Baseball, said the office found out about the allegation Thursday and Bob Watson, in charge of discipline, is checking on it. Watson will review video of the games and could talk to umpires and players. Courtney said if evidence shows that Rodriguez did put a substance on the baseball, he could face up to a 10-game suspension.

Rodriguez allowed one run on two hits in Wednesday's game and got the save. He was perfect in the ninth inning on Monday night, including a strikeout.

Link
http://www.baseball-reference.com/players/l/latosma01.shtml. Mat Latos - Sponsored by the Fantasy Baseball Cafe!
Another Blown Save
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly WinnerTrivia Time Trial Monthly Winner
(Past Year: -361)

Postby biju » Thu Apr 05, 2007 2:52 pm

George_Foreman wrote:My god! He fiddles with his hat!

Uhhh, they played Texas. Don't go blaming this on Seattle fans. We're smarter than that. :-D
biju
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: -4)
Home Cafe: Football

Postby bellings » Thu Apr 05, 2007 3:00 pm

Niffoc4 wrote:
Yoda wrote:
Niffoc4 wrote:
bellings wrote:Yes, some pitchers touch their hat a lot, like people have been saying. But their hats typically don't have a white substance on them. :-?
The rosin bag is white isn't it? So is the chalk used to line the fields... If someone is going to go through the trouble to cheat in a major league game they might, just might... consider the COLOR!

Hey, if people want to hunt for witches, then let them.
especially if it makes K-Rod cheaper

Geez, I'm not a witch-hunter. If it wasn't for that white spot on his hat, I'd say this was a witch-hunt. But there was definitely something on there. Everyone's saying that he couldn't be cheating because it was obvious. You don't think that a huge brown smudge on your hand is obvious?
bellings
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: -2)

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers