Return to Baseball Leftovers

Cole Hamels

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Cole Hamels

Postby ab » Wed Apr 04, 2007 8:46 pm

Pitched 110 innings in the first start of the season.

Why do managers do things like this? The dude has had a TON of injuries.
ab
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: -3)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby facts » Wed Apr 04, 2007 8:47 pm

it's just 10 pitches over 100, calm down
facts
College Coach
College Coach

(Past Year: -4)

Postby ab » Wed Apr 04, 2007 8:50 pm

I know 10 pitches doesn't sound like much, and I can't remember the #s, but every pitch over the 100th increases the risk of injury a by a MUCH larger factor than a single pitch before the 100th.

Anyway, this is a team that wants to compete. So why not start the guy slow? Give him a couple 80-90 pitch outings? I'd like to see the Phils compete this year, and they're not doing it if Hamels ' elbow comes off before the ASB.
ab
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: -3)

Re: Cole Hamels

Postby LiveForever » Wed Apr 04, 2007 8:55 pm

ab wrote:Pitched 110 innings in the first start of the season.

Why do managers do things like this? The dude has had a TON of injuries.

Thats got to be some kind of record.
"If you look long enough for an argument against reason, you will find it" ~Moneyball

There is a very fine line between "hobby" and "mental illness
LiveForever
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: -4)

Postby cordscords » Wed Apr 04, 2007 9:01 pm

Cole was pitching great, and the Phillies were involved in a tight game.

I've got no problem with Cole going over 100 when the Phillies are in a tight game and he's pitching lights out. Just as long as he's not doing it every start it's fine by me.
cordscords
General Manager
General Manager

Mock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 5)

Postby RynMan » Wed Apr 04, 2007 9:25 pm

ab wrote:I know 10 pitches doesn't sound like much, and I can't remember the #s, but every pitch over the 100th increases the risk of injury a by a MUCH larger factor than a single pitch before the 100th.

Nobody can say definitively that every pitch over exactly 100 pitches for every pitcher is going to hurt them. It's a very rough guide. I'm typically the first one to explode over a manager hanging out a pitcher, but I don't think 110 is too bad.

I probably would not have had him do it the first game of the season though. I'd hope they keep him under 100 next start.

King Felix threw a similar number of pitches a few days ago.
RynMan
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerAward-Winning Graphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye
(Past Year: -227)

Postby George_Foreman » Wed Apr 04, 2007 9:56 pm

Tight game, division rival, and have you seen the Philly bullpen? They're going to have to lean on their starters a little more than they'd like to the whole year.
"I don't buy everything I read,
I havn't even read everything I've bought"

"I find it more comforting to believe that this [life] isn't simply a test."
George_Foreman
General Manager
General Manager

(Past Year: -9)

Postby Midnight_Toker » Wed Apr 04, 2007 9:56 pm

cordscords wrote:Cole was pitching great, and the Phillies were involved in a tight game.

I've got no problem with Cole going over 100 when the Phillies are in a tight game and he's pitching lights out. Just as long as he's not doing it every start it's fine by me.

Agreed, and don't forget ... the Phillies Bullpen STINKS. If Hamels was in the zone like he was, I think it's OK to just let him go out there and pitch.
Midnight_Toker
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby jvmillion83 » Wed Apr 04, 2007 10:54 pm

Agreed. Don't count on Hamels winning alot of games this year with a C- bullpen in back of them.
jvmillion83
College Coach
College Coach

Postby J35J » Wed Apr 04, 2007 11:05 pm

I didn't see the game but going by the numbers it didn't seem like he struggled very much tonight. Its one thing to struggle/battle through 110 pitches and dominate through 110 pitches. I'm not really a big fan of pitch counts, I think you should just watch your pitcher and let him tell you physically if its time to pull him or not.... is he leaving pitches up, is he going deep into the count on alot of batters, is he getting hit hard, etc, etc, etc Use the pitch count as just a resource instead of some kind of rule, IMO. Way too much babying going on these days, but hey thats how the game is evolving so ya gotta live with it I guess.
J35J
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: -42)

Next

Return to Baseball Leftovers