Return to Baseball Leftovers

Daisuke fastball

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Daisuke fastball

Postby theultimate69 » Thu Apr 05, 2007 3:30 am

I haven't gotten the chance to actually see Dice-K pitch in America until I found some videos of him on youtube a few minutes ago, and he looks great. There is, however, one thing that was very disconcerting to me. While I know he's got at least 6 pitches to throw, I noticed that his fastball seemed somewhat... lacking. Not in velocity, but in action. With his small stature, he seems to come too much over the top, really throwing the ball down like a dart (like Daniel Cabrera). While this maintains a great velocity for a fastball, it also makes it straight and hittable. Rich Harden happens to have this, I'm pretty sure, as well. Watch the video and tell me what you guys think:

http://youtube.com/watch?v=TPAORzw8Ksk& ... ed&search=

I know we'll get to see him for real tomorrow, but I want some opinions beforehand! B-)
theultimate69
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby orange12 » Thu Apr 05, 2007 3:54 am

This would be the first time I've seen Dice-K pitch too. My first impressions are great breaking stuff and a lot of pop ups. On the fastballs you've mentioned, it does look a bit straight. But given the speed and sharp downward action on it, I'm guessing a lot of hitters are going to do what the Marlins are doing here and that's get too far under it and popping it up.

I really liked Uggla's at bat. He watched a curve and a fastball, then got too far under the third pitch and fouled it off, and finally adjusted and went the opposite way with almost the same pitch.

Can someone who understand Japanese pick up on anything interesting the announcers are saying?
orange12
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: -2)

Postby thedude » Thu Apr 05, 2007 10:00 am

Yes his four-seam fastball is pretty straight. That has been a complaint for a while. However he does have amazing control of the pitch. Since he throws some many different pitches, hitters are unable to sit on the four seamer like they normally would.

He also began working on a two-seam fastball during spring training, but he is unsure if he will use it during the regular season.
"I do not think baseball of today is any better than it was 30 years ago... I still think Radbourne is the greatest of the pitchers." John Sullivan 1914-Old athletes never change.
thedude
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: -397)

Postby IllinoisBandit » Thu Apr 05, 2007 10:44 am

From what I've seen I wouldn't worry a bit about him getting knocked around. I'd be a little concerned about his control, though.
IllinoisBandit
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: -4)

3 Fastballs

Postby masterpinky0509 » Thu Apr 05, 2007 10:45 am

Supposedly he has his straight 4-seam, 2-seam and cutter. The 3 fastballs, combined w/ 2 breaking balls and a change and splitter means he has 7.

You can get away w/ a straight fastie if you have that many pitches. Harden basically gets away w/ his b/c he has 3 others (split, change--not that good, slider).
masterpinky0509
College Coach
College Coach

(Past Year: -1)

Re: 3 Fastballs

Postby ondeckb » Thu Apr 05, 2007 7:56 pm

masterpinky0509 wrote:Supposedly he has his straight 4-seam, 2-seam and cutter. The 3 fastballs, combined w/ 2 breaking balls and a change and splitter means he has 7.

You can get away w/ a straight fastie if you have that many pitches. Harden basically gets away w/ his b/c he has 3 others (split, change--not that good, slider).

That's 8 counting the gyroball...... 8-o
"Ninety feet between bases is the closest man has ever come to perfection"
ondeckb
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: -10)

Postby Yoda » Thu Apr 05, 2007 8:25 pm

Another DiceK thread and another complaint about his fastball.
Yoda
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertMock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: -153)

Postby Sid Bream's Slide » Thu Apr 05, 2007 8:30 pm

Yoda wrote:Another DiceK thread and another complaint about his fastball.

Another complaint about another complaint thread.
Sid Bream's Slide
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Matchup Meltdown Survivor
(Past Year: -7)

Postby roninmedia » Thu Apr 05, 2007 8:35 pm

ondeckb wrote:
masterpinky0509 wrote:Supposedly he has his straight 4-seam, 2-seam and cutter. The 3 fastballs, combined w/ 2 breaking balls and a change and splitter means he has 7.

You're forgetting the Shuuto. :-D That makes 9.

I'm still not used to seeing his free flowing pitching motion.
roninmedia
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

CafeholicEagle Eye
(Past Year: -13)

Postby thedude » Thu Apr 05, 2007 8:43 pm

roninmedia wrote:
ondeckb wrote:

You're forgetting the Shuuto. :-D That makes 9.

I'm still not used to seeing his free flowing pitching motion.

The difference is that the Shuuto is a real pitch (which he really throws and is confused by the american media as either a slider or a change) while the Gyro is the Japanese "Shine-Ball."
"I do not think baseball of today is any better than it was 30 years ago... I still think Radbourne is the greatest of the pitchers." John Sullivan 1914-Old athletes never change.
thedude
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: -397)

Return to Baseball Leftovers