Return to Baseball Leftovers

McCann

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

McCann

Postby Yoda » Thu Apr 05, 2007 6:54 pm

Not enough talk about this guy. He was absolutely sick down the stretch last year as a 22 yo and picked up where he left off. Is he the next Mike Piazza?
Yoda
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertMock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: -153)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby oscar15 » Thu Apr 05, 2007 7:01 pm

IMO - He will produce slightly higher avg. with slightly lower power. than Piazza

Baseball wise - he is a much better backstop than piazza.

The kid is legit. When the Braves drafted Frenchy in the first round the Braves scouts were raving about McCann in the second round. This according to the first Braves broadcast of this year.
If God does not like the way I'm living my life, he can tell me himself.
oscar15
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: 7)

Postby thedude » Thu Apr 05, 2007 7:04 pm

oscar15 wrote:IMO - He will produce slightly higher avg. with slightly lower power. than Piazza

The kid is legit. When the Braves drafted Frenchy in the first round the Braves scouts were raving about McCann in the second round. This according to the first Braves broadcast of this year.

I don't think he will have either the power or average of Piazza (who once hit .362 with 40 homers). But he could be Piazza light (.315-320 with 30 homers).
"I do not think baseball of today is any better than it was 30 years ago... I still think Radbourne is the greatest of the pitchers." John Sullivan 1914-Old athletes never change.
thedude
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: -397)

Postby CBMGreatOne » Thu Apr 05, 2007 7:06 pm

After never getting him in any of my practice drafts, I uncharacteristically reached for him with the 51st pick in my main league (14 team 6x6 with K/BB and OPS) and I think his value is already well above 51st overall now, especially in leagues that count OPS (.960 last year)

Huge season last year, hot start this year, what more could you ask for? Enjoy it if you were fortunate enough to draft him.

I don't even think you can trade him at this point because nobody is going to truly pay you what he's worth for "a catcher." Somebody might offer you somebody they drafted before him, but right now, I honestly think he's a top 40 player. He's a keeper.
CBMGreatOne
General Manager
General Manager

(Past Year: 86)

Postby NYMetsIn2k4 » Thu Apr 05, 2007 7:07 pm

agreed, i think piazza-like is absolutely ridiculous... but he will be good!
NYMetsIn2k4
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: -1)

Postby CBMGreatOne » Thu Apr 05, 2007 7:07 pm

(.315-320 with 30 homers).

Yeah, he did that last (his rookie) year. I think he will improve significantly, if not this year then eventually.
CBMGreatOne
General Manager
General Manager

(Past Year: 86)

Postby Yoda » Thu Apr 05, 2007 7:11 pm

NYMetsIn2k4 wrote:agreed, i think piazza-like is absolutely ridiculous... but he will be good!

Well considering Piazza was still in the minors until 23...His first season in MLB was at age 24.

Obviously, Piazza was one of the best hitters in the game and it would be tough to say that about McCann but... McCann clearly is the best young hitter 23 and under.
Yoda
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertMock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: -153)

Postby oscar15 » Thu Apr 05, 2007 7:13 pm

you know, I almost went to the baseball reference to check on Piazza because I knew he hit for decent avg. I just wasn't sure how good.

Piazza light...I can agree with that

thedude wrote:
oscar15 wrote:IMO - He will produce slightly higher avg. with slightly lower power. than Piazza

I don't think he will have either the power or average of Piazza (who once hit .362 with 40 homers). But he could be Piazza light (.315-320 with 30 homers).
If God does not like the way I'm living my life, he can tell me himself.
oscar15
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: 7)

Postby RedWoodTree824 » Thu Apr 05, 2007 7:19 pm

I predicted a season with 30 hr, 100 rbi and .300 avg, and I think people thought I was nuts :*)
RedWoodTree824
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Graphics Expert
(Past Year: -60)

Postby decoy562 » Thu Apr 05, 2007 8:08 pm

Fantasywise? Love him.

Real life? Love him.

I guess you can say I have a man-crush. Go braves! ;-D
-Go Braves!
decoy562