Return to Baseball Leftovers

Jonny Gomes and Luke Scott

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby CadensDad » Fri Apr 06, 2007 1:58 pm

I dropped Gomes as well, no need for a bench warmer
“Never argue with a idiot, because first they will bring you down to their level. Then beat you with experience.”
CadensDad
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe RankerMock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: -38)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby TheDocIsIn » Sat Apr 07, 2007 11:00 am

Since Maddon is a brutal manager, yes, Gomes is a bench warmer.
TheDocIsIn
College Coach
College Coach

Postby raiders_umpire » Sat Apr 07, 2007 12:35 pm

TheDocIsIn wrote:Since Maddon is a brutal manager, yes, Gomes is a bench warmer.

If brutal means playing the guys that give him the best chance to win, then yea he is very brutal. :-°
raiders_umpire

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: -786)

Postby TheDocIsIn » Sat Apr 07, 2007 12:50 pm

raiders_umpire wrote:
TheDocIsIn wrote:Since Maddon is a brutal manager, yes, Gomes is a bench warmer.

If brutal means playing the guys that give him the best chance to win, then yea he is very brutal. :-°

Yeah, Greg Norton over Gomes gives ya every chance to win. :-°

Greg Norton isn't even an MLB player but he had a spot locked up over Cantu and Gomes. Who the heck is Brendan Harris?? Where is Chad Orvella?? If Maddon makes these decisions, yes, he's brutal.

The D-Rays record last year would indicate Maddon isn't the best judge at what it takes to win ball games. His bullpen handling is laughable. Miceli a closer? Todd Walker? No, lets send down our only decent arm in Orvella. Very bad moves IMO.
TheDocIsIn
College Coach
College Coach

Postby koolhalfski » Sat Apr 07, 2007 1:37 pm

After Dukes hot start Gomes isnt going to get consistent playing time any time soon.Go with Scott.

please help.
http://www.fantasybaseballcafe.com/foru ... p?t=268200
HEY NOW!
koolhalfski
College Coach
College Coach

Postby raiders_umpire » Sat Apr 07, 2007 5:55 pm

TheDocIsIn wrote:
raiders_umpire wrote:

Yeah, Greg Norton over Gomes gives ya every chance to win. :-°

Greg Norton isn't even an MLB player but he had a spot locked up over Cantu and Gomes. Who the heck is Brendan Harris?? Where is Chad Orvella?? If Maddon makes these decisions, yes, he's brutal.

The D-Rays record last year would indicate Maddon isn't the best judge at what it takes to win ball games. His bullpen handling is laughable. Miceli a closer? Todd Walker? No, lets send down our only decent arm in Orvella. Very bad moves IMO.

Norton is on the DL and is not taking Gomes spot at all. But Norton is actually a pretty good hitter verse righties and will be a decent bat to spot start against righties or even pinch hit in games verse a righty. If he gets back healthy, he will probably play once or twice a week, and I as a Drays fan would rather have 2 games of Norton anyday over 2 games of Gomes or Cantu. Gomes and Cantu have some power but they also have a huge notion of striking out in bunches, and if you add that to their lack of defense prowess, there is not much reason to whine about them not being in a starting lineup for a major league team even a team as bad as the Drays have been.

Brendan Harris is nothing great but he is a utility infielder that can play all 3 infield positions if we get in a jam. You may not have noticed but we start 3 rookies in the infield at 2b, 3b, and SS, so we definitely need some depth there and Harris supplies us that in one guy along with Wigginton who can move over and play some other spots. Harris is also a good clubhouse guy unlike Cantu who the young kids can lean on if needed. I don't think anybody really wants to see Cantu and his terrible defense at SS or 3rd, heck I don't even want to see it at 1st.

I agree with Orvella should be in the bigs, and have thought that for a year and a half now, but he has not made it big here yet. I think we will see him soon though, and he should make an impact on the Rays bullpen.

I have never said Maddon is a great coach, he has to get several winning years under his belt before he can be mentioned as a great baseball coach. I do like his style much better then Piniella though so far. His bullpen handling is terrible because the bullpen is terrible. There is not any top of the line pitchers in the pen period, and I don't think Cox or LaRussa could do much of a better job with that pen then he has.

Todd Walker? I don't ever remember him being on the Drays roster, so you have got me on that one. Maddon really screwed that up. ;-7

Miceli a closer. Yea he was the guy that pitched the 9th inning in a few games last year for us, but I don't think anybody considered him a closer. :-°
raiders_umpire

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: -786)

Previous

Return to Baseball Leftovers