Return to Baseball Leftovers

What time of day do players become FA's?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

What time of day do players become FA's?

Postby stymie38 » Sat Apr 07, 2007 4:38 pm

I apologize if this question has been answered a million times, but I honestly don't know that answer.

If a player in a Yahoo league is due to clear waivers tomorrow (Sunday), what time (ET or PT) does that happen? Or does it vary depending on the league?

Obviously, I'm asking becasue I don't want to burn a waiver pick, but I also want this guy. Should I set my alarm for 3:00 am ET?? ;)
Last edited by stymie38 on Sat Apr 07, 2007 5:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
stymie38
College Coach
College Coach

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby teddy ballgame » Sat Apr 07, 2007 4:40 pm

3:00 AM ET is correct. If they are unclaimed they will be released around 3:00. If they have a claim on them it won't go through until around 3:20.
teddy ballgame
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: -350)

Postby SendHelp » Sat Apr 07, 2007 5:00 pm

its right at 3:00 or later if yahoo is busy
SendHelp
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: -10)

Postby stymie38 » Sat Apr 07, 2007 5:12 pm

Thanks guys.

Looks like I'll set the alarm.
stymie38
College Coach
College Coach

Postby x_Momentum » Sat Apr 07, 2007 7:06 pm

haha yeah, 3AM. I stayed up last night to pick up Iwamura.
x_Momentum
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: -2)

Postby SpecialFNK » Sat Apr 07, 2007 9:30 pm

i had it later for me the one night.
i was waiting for Nick Johnson to pass through the waiver thing so i could pick him up. i checked around 5:20am EST and he still had the bracket thing beside his name. i checked back around 6:20am EST and he was able to be picked up so i did.
i think you can pick up a regular FA player before 3:00am EST in order to have that player for the next day. example.. tonight at say 2:45am EST i can still pick up a player and have him for sundays game, but if its say 3:30am EST then it would show picking him up on sunday and he wouldnt be on my team until mondays game.
SpecialFNK
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicFantasy Expert
(Past Year: 38)

Postby CBMGreatOne » Sun Apr 08, 2007 12:41 am

I think it is much later than 3:00 AM ET. It's more like 5:30 AM ET. It's all supposed to cycle at 12M PT, but that would be in a perfect world, it takes time for the database to update.
CBMGreatOne
General Manager
General Manager

(Past Year: 86)

Postby denicola_dominates » Sun Apr 08, 2007 1:02 am

does this damn timing thign mean people on the west coast are wide awake and ready to claim their free agent prizes at about 12 o clokck i think while peepson east are miserable or is timing accomodated miserably to all?? :-°
"Baseball is 90% mental -- the other half is physical." -Yogi Berra

denicola_dominates
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: -5)

Postby akula » Sun Apr 08, 2007 1:11 am

I can't speak for Y! fantasy baseball, but my experience with Y! fantasy basketball tells me that players usually clear waiver around 2:30 AM pacific time.

For a player to be used the next day, you HAVE to pick him up before 12:00 AM pacific time..I used to do this for a player I want to keep, but I don't want to use him just yet..for example, player A is back in 1 week, I pick up player A as a FA, drop him at 11:59 pm and pick player B for next day, then drop B for A at 12:01 am. Keep doing this every day A remains as a FA, and you can stream his roster slot daily until A finally comes back.
akula
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: -1)

Postby akula » Sun Apr 08, 2007 1:23 am

also there is one little trick can help you in a streaming war against another streamer:

at 12:01 AM of day 1 pick up player A that plays on day 2. Put A on waiver request for player B that clears waiver on day 1 and also plays on day 2. At 2:30 am you get B and A was dropped. Drop B for a player C that also plays next day. A & B will both be on WAIVERS..
why do you do this? you limit the other streamer's option for day 2 by putting A into waiver (even though he is picked up as a FA and dropped the same day) and extend B's waiver time.
akula
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: -1)

Next

Return to Baseball Leftovers