Return to Baseball Leftovers

Ryan Church

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Ryan Church

Postby CBMGreatOne » Thu Apr 12, 2007 1:33 pm

He's off to a torrid start, riding an 8 game hitting streak with a .355 BA and a 1.138 OPS.

What should we make of this? Is he due to fade into fantasy oblivion as he has in previous years or might he be a serviceable #3 OF?
CBMGreatOne
General Manager
General Manager

(Past Year: 86)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Doughhead » Thu Apr 12, 2007 1:58 pm

I'm probably in the minority here, but I think he could actually have a bit of a breakout this year. Runs are going to be hard to come by in Washington, so they'll be looking for people who can play key roles in that offense. Zimmerman is obviously their go-to guy, but I think Church could emerge as a clean-up man and possible #5, meaning respectable RBI chances.

He seemed to be in Frank Robinson's doghouse, but now he's got a new chance to prove himself. He's always been a pretty good hitter and I think that, combined with more opportunity, could make him a serviceable #3 in deeper leagues.
DOUGHHEAD
Doughhead
General Manager
General Manager

Fantasy Expert
(Past Year: -3)

Postby Inukchuk » Thu Apr 12, 2007 2:03 pm

I love this guy. Last year, he was in the doghouse with Robinson, so he kind of caught the shaft. I've read that there are officials in WAS that think of hime having 30HR potential, but he never got the PT to back it up.

I guess that his only problem is that he plays for the Nats. I've been talking him up all year, and I have him on my bench, so I'm hoping he can finally put a nasty season together...
abrunn11... the place to go for all your sig needs...
Inukchuk
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicCafe WriterMock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: -13)
Location: Coming down on this hospital like the hammer of Thor

Postby Krunk City King$ » Thu Apr 12, 2007 2:21 pm

Inukchuk wrote: his only problem is that he plays for the Nats
Krunk City King$
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: -8)

Postby PlayingWithFire » Thu Apr 12, 2007 3:07 pm

He has 40 HR power in the right environment and fully developed

He's supposed to be Jim Bowden's man but Bowden was being a you know what last year and not backing him up when Frank Robinson would hate on him and bench him for Nook Logan and this other all speed nothing else guy at the beginning of the year.

Again, if Manny Acta plays him and he doesn't just collapse, .270 25HR is attainable reasonably
Are you interested in joining a 28 teams dynasty league? If so, PM me.
PlayingWithFire
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: -246)

Postby Havok1517 » Thu Apr 12, 2007 5:54 pm

Schwartz on MLB's Fantasy 411 really likes him.
Havok1517
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe Writer
(Past Year: 24)

Postby beerman648 » Thu Apr 12, 2007 6:18 pm

I remember last year all of that from the coach that was going on around him. That sucked alot for him and probably put some serious stress on him. I love this guy though from the time he was brought up to sent back down :-t he was streaky. Not sayin that is bad in a roto league cause when he was hot this guy was on fire and not just hrs but sbs too. Crappy avg but we cant all be winners on the fa.
beerman648
College Coach
College Coach

(Past Year: -5)

Postby Havok1517 » Thu Apr 12, 2007 6:23 pm

beerman648 wrote:I remember last year all of that from the coach that was going on around him. That sucked alot for him and probably put some serious stress on him. I love this guy though from the time he was brought up to sent back down :-t he was streaky. Not sayin that is bad in a roto league cause when he was hot this guy was on fire and not just hrs but sbs too. Crappy avg but we cant all be winners on the fa.

That Nats actually have decent offensive potential (as long as Guzman & Logan don't play) for now and the future but their pitching minus Cordero, Rauch, & Patterson make them the worst team in baseball. Williams has looked decent though but still yuck.
Havok1517
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe Writer
(Past Year: 24)

Postby NZF » Thu Apr 12, 2007 6:59 pm

Too many holes to be a decent option as a productive OF but maybe worth a shot in NL only leagues.
When you're right no one remembers, when you're wrong no one forgets - NZF
NZF
General Manager
General Manager

Mock(ing) DrafterPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: -27)

Postby burntfaceman » Thu Apr 12, 2007 11:16 pm

would you drop Corey Hart for him in a 12-team roto keeper?
burntfaceman
College Coach
College Coach

Next

Return to Baseball Leftovers