Return to Baseball Leftovers

Brett Myers to set up, Jon Lieber to start (Merged)

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby Tokugawa » Sat Apr 21, 2007 12:26 pm

It's just bizarre that Myers was named the opening day starter and is now a set up man. I understand moving someone from the rotation to the pen but I just find it kind of humorous they chose their best pitcher, the guy they named opening day starter, the stud of their staff etc etc

I think last nights game showed that simply making him a 7th or 8th inningt guy isn't going to solve the problem. I still rather have him starting and pitching the first seven or eight innings before handing the lead over to someone else.
Tokugawa
College Coach
College Coach

(Past Year: -1)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Amazing Oopah » Sat Apr 21, 2007 2:06 pm

StarsNPinstripes wrote:Lineup Alert:
Gordon has pitched 2 games in a row,23 pitches on Thursday and 37 pitches last night.Don't think Flash would go out a 3rd night after throwing 60 pitches the last 2 nights so it should be Myers time if a save opp presents itself tonight.

he's probably going to have to pitch the 7th and 8th himself to get the save, especially with his fellow bullpen guys :-o
Amazing Oopah
General Manager
General Manager

Lucky Ladders ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown Survivor
(Past Year: -12)

Postby angels7777 » Sat Apr 21, 2007 2:07 pm

Tokugawa wrote:I think last nights game showed that simply making him a 7th or 8th inning guy isn't going to solve the problem. I still rather have him starting and pitching the first seven or eight innings before handing the lead over to someone else.

Ya getting to the 7-8th inning with a lead is more important than having a guy pitch one inning to preserve a lead...

I can't help but laugh about what happened last night... Manuel was looking like a genius until that 3-1 pitch with 2 outs in the 9th... what set-up man actually has a significant impact on any team? maybe Shields?

bottom line: there is a reason no one pays set-up men the same type of money as SP; SP have a much bigger impact on wins-losses that set-up men for one inning...
angels7777
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafeholic
(Past Year: 346)

Postby bigh0rt » Sat Apr 21, 2007 2:15 pm

angels7777 wrote:
Tokugawa wrote:I think last nights game showed that simply making him a 7th or 8th inning guy isn't going to solve the problem. I still rather have him starting and pitching the first seven or eight innings before handing the lead over to someone else.

Ya getting to the 7-8th inning with a lead is more important than having a guy pitch one inning to preserve a lead...

I can't help but laugh about what happened last night... Manuel was looking like a genius until that 3-1 pitch with 2 outs in the 9th... what set-up man actually has a significant impact on any team? maybe Shields?

bottom line: there is a reason no one pays set-up men the same type of money as SP; SP have a much bigger impact on wins-losses that set-up men for one inning...

They also generally pitch 2.5x the number of innings, as well.
bigh0rt
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 376)

Postby Amazing Oopah » Sat Apr 21, 2007 2:26 pm

angels7777 wrote:

yeah, but a reliever appears 70+ times a season so that makes them more valuable than someone who appers 30 times a season :-)

Haven't you been listening to manager of the year Charlie Manuel? ;-7
Amazing Oopah
General Manager
General Manager

Lucky Ladders ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown Survivor
(Past Year: -12)

Postby Tokugawa » Sat Apr 21, 2007 4:08 pm

Amazing Oopah wrote:
angels7777 wrote:

yeah, but a reliever appears 70+ times a season so that makes them more valuable than someone who appers 30 times a season :-)

Haven't you been listening to manager of the year Charlie Manuel? ;-7

Yeah, it's hard to believe he honestly thinks having someone pitch 80 inninngs over 70 games is more valuable than someone pitching 200 innings over 30 games.

If it's bullpen help the Phils need would it not simply make sense to trade Myers for another teams entire set of middle relievers along with some minor league studs? :-D
Tokugawa
College Coach
College Coach

Postby MissingOakley » Sat Apr 21, 2007 9:29 pm

Who's got the better shot of closing: Myers or Lidge?
MissingOakley
College Coach
College Coach

(Past Year: -4)
Home Cafe: Basketball

Postby King Tim » Sat Apr 21, 2007 9:33 pm

I'm pissed at Myers for being in agreement with this move. Where are your stones man? The guy is a potential ace and should be bitching and moaning about this move.....not accepting it.
King Tim
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby dryice » Sat Apr 21, 2007 9:51 pm

myers, hamels, utley, howard, burrell, rollins, abreu..

time to rebuild!

hence no abreu.

not a smart franchise.

will probably accidently finish last
dryice
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Postby Tokugawa » Sat Apr 21, 2007 10:54 pm

What Hamels did tonight is the perfect example of why a starter is more valuable than a set up guy.
Tokugawa
College Coach
College Coach

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers