Return to Baseball Leftovers

Pitcher as Pinch Hitter

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Pitcher as Pinch Hitter

Postby tianyi86 » Thu Apr 19, 2007 3:17 pm

Apr 19 Paul Sullivan, of the Chicago Tribune, reports Chicago Cubs manager Lou Piniella would use SP Jason Marquis or SP Carlos Zambrano in a pinch-hit situation. Marquis, who hit .292 for the St. Louis Cardinals last year, was used in the ninth inning as a pinch hitter Wednesday, April 18. "Marquis is an athlete," Piniella said. "He runs the bases very, very well. Both he and Zambrano run the bases very well. Carlos is going to start getting jealous if I use the other guy too much in that role."

Never thought I would see this. This is a ballsy move, one bad swing that pulls a muscle or hit by a pitch can disable one of these guys.
tianyi86
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: -2)
Home Cafe: Basketball

Postby theonetheonlypv » Thu Apr 19, 2007 3:24 pm

its not that ballsy when both marquis and czamb are both better hitters than the last bench player. i'd pinch hit with willis in a bind also.
theonetheonlypv
College Coach
College Coach

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Loose Circuits » Thu Apr 19, 2007 3:29 pm

I believe Bobby Cox used to do similar things with Mike Hampton? or maybe it was Maddux or Glavine who were all decent hitters when compared to other pitchers
Loose Circuits
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Home Cafe: Football

Postby ScarletP » Thu Apr 19, 2007 3:31 pm

Peavy pinch-hit for the Padres in their 14-inning game against the Cubs a couple nights ago.
ScarletP
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Mock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: -58)

Postby ChipperJonesFanatic » Thu Apr 19, 2007 3:33 pm

Cox used to pinch hit with Greg Maddux. He is a big fan of getting the bunt down, and he is one of the best.
Member #4 Of "The Official Zack Greinke Fan Club"
ChipperJonesFanatic
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Eagle Eye
(Past Year: -68)

Postby costag » Thu Apr 19, 2007 3:49 pm

Cole Hamels pinch hit for Alfonseca last night. He drew a walk. I think good ol'Chollie used his whole bench by the 9th inning.
costag
College Coach
College Coach

(Past Year: -1)

Postby Danimal » Thu Apr 19, 2007 3:57 pm

Micah Owings might get some PH duties. The guy was a power hitter in high school, and already has a few hits this season.
Danimal
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: -7)

Postby WhiteHot » Thu Apr 19, 2007 4:21 pm

costag wrote:Cole Hamels pinch hit for Alfonseca last night. He drew a walk. I think good ol'Chollie used his whole bench by the 9th inning.

Yeah, that was ridiculous. In one inning, he chewed through 3 bench players. He pinch hit for Ruiz (C) with Werth...then pinch hit for the pitcher with Dobbs. Then Barajas needed to take over as the catcher next inning.

He also used Bourn as a pinch runner for Burrell and Nunez as a PH. All gone! This is serious: If Ryan Howard couldn't continue playing, I heard they were going to use Tom Gordon at 1B.
WhiteHot
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: -5)

Postby Bloody Sox » Thu Apr 19, 2007 4:24 pm

theonetheonlypv wrote:its not that ballsy when both marquis and czamb are both better hitters than the last bench player. i'd pinch hit with willis in a bind also.

It's also not that ballsy when the pitcher you're worried about getting hurt is Jason Marquis :-B
"The government cannot give to anyone anything that it does not first take from someone else"
Bloody Sox
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby NYYANKEEZ25 » Thu Apr 19, 2007 4:26 pm

Thats pretty sweet. ;-D
NYYANKEEZ25
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: -7)

Next