Return to Baseball Leftovers

Chien-Ming Wang Rated so Low?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Chien-Ming Wang Rated so Low?

Postby Zhangman1 » Thu Apr 19, 2007 4:41 pm

I'm a rook at this fantasy baseball thing. So can some1 explain why Wang is rated so low in fantasy? He did win 19 games last year. Is it all due to the lack of Ks?
Zhangman1
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 22)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Chien-Ming Wang Rated so Low?

Postby pokerplaya » Thu Apr 19, 2007 4:51 pm

Zhangman1 wrote:I'm a rook at this fantasy baseball thing. So can some1 explain why Wang is rated so low in fantasy? He did win 19 games last year. Is it all due to the lack of Ks?

Yes, I think his lack of K's have a lot to do with it.

He also had a .267 BAA, which tells the story of a very hittable pitcher. He found a lot of bats last year, and likely will again this year, so that mid 3's ERA will probably be considerably higher as well.
pokerplaya
Kitchen Staff
Kitchen Staff

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: -231)

Re: Chien-Ming Wang Rated so Low?

Postby Old_Style » Thu Apr 19, 2007 4:54 pm

pokerplaya wrote:
Zhangman1 wrote:I'm a rook at this fantasy baseball thing. So can some1 explain why Wang is rated so low in fantasy? He did win 19 games last year. Is it all due to the lack of Ks?

Yes, I think his lack of K's have a lot to do with it.

He also had a .267 BAA, which tells the story of a very hittable pitcher. He found a lot of bats last year, and likely will again this year, so that mid 3's ERA will probably be considerably higher as well.

That about sums it up.

Hey poker, isn't it about time to find yourself another "Ace" in that sig? :-? :-D
Old_Style
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: -218)

Postby SweetAurillia » Thu Apr 19, 2007 4:58 pm

Yah he was considered lucky to get the amount of wins he did as well last year.
SweetAurillia
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby J35J » Thu Apr 19, 2007 5:09 pm

He's hittable because he pretty much just throws 1 pitch. However, that 1 pitch is one of the better pitches in the game, 95-96 mph sinker!! I've said it before if he could ever throw his breaking ball more consistantly and somehow find a changeup he'd be a better version of Webb. With that said I'm not sure at this point he will do those things so he is what he is at this point.
J35J
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: -42)

Postby knapplc » Thu Apr 19, 2007 5:22 pm

It depends on the league you're in, too. In Roto he's not so good, but I had him last year in a H2H league and he was very serviceable. We count wins heavily, so that helps a lot.

In the right scoring system he's worth something, like maybe top 30 or so, but in Roto he's something of a liability.
Keep wreves in General Talk in 2011!
knapplc
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicGolden Eagle Eye
(Past Year: -17)
Home Cafe: Football

Postby AcidRock23 » Thu Apr 19, 2007 5:23 pm

Somewhere I'd seen a blurb that Wang actually dials it up and increases his K rate when there are guys in scoring position. I was kind of bashing his K rate/ S% last year but I think that he might be a better pitcher than the BAA gives him credit for but is restrained for some reason.
AcidRock23
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicCafe WriterEagle Eye
(Past Year: -18)

Postby Zhangman1 » Thu Apr 19, 2007 5:26 pm

I have him on my DL right now. John Maine is on WW so he's an option too. In my roto league we play W's, L's, K, ERA, WHIP, and GIDP which Wang seemed high in. Anyway, should I hold onto him? or dump him for a guy off to a good start like Maine.

SP Jeremy Bonderman
SP Dan Haren
RP Francisco Rodríguez
RP Jonathan Papelbon
P Henry Owens
P Jason Frasor
P Cole Hamels
P Ervin Santana
BN Roger Clemens
BN Ramón Ortiz
BN B.J. Ryan
DL Bartolo Colón
DL Chien-Ming Wang

10 Team Roto League:
R H 2B HR RBI SB TB AVG
W L CG SV K GIDP ERA WHIP
Zhangman1
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 22)

Postby tianyi86 » Thu Apr 19, 2007 6:57 pm

AcidRock23 wrote:Somewhere I'd seen a blurb that Wang actually dials it up and increases his K rate when there are guys in scoring position. I was kind of bashing his K rate/ S% last year but I think that he might be a better pitcher than the BAA gives him credit for but is restrained for some reason.

He does increase his k rate when there are base runners 1k/3inning, or runners in scoring position to about 2k/5ip. Only problem is, he does it in a bad way. Hitters hit .300 against him when he has guys on base.
tianyi86
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: -2)
Home Cafe: Basketball

Next

Return to Baseball Leftovers