Return to Baseball Leftovers

Padres, Cameron end contract talks

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Padres, Cameron end contract talks

Postby wrveres » Sat Apr 21, 2007 11:05 am

Ken Rosenthal wrote:Negotiations between the Padres and center fielder Mike Cameron broke off Friday, virtually ensuring that Cameron will become a free agent at the end of the season, FOXSports.com has learned.

The two sides, unable to reach agreement on a three-year contract extension, will not resume talks before the end of the season, according to Cameron's agent, Mike Nicotera.

"There wasn't any acrimony," Nicotera told FOXSports.com. "I will certainly discuss the prospects of Mike being back with them, but in a free-agent context, which makes it far less likely that he would be back than if we were talking to them alone.

"Both parties thought the last deal we had on the table was very reasonable within the context of his value and the market. We agreed to disagree. He'll be a free agent at the end of the year."

"We've had a hard time finding a common ground," Padres GM Kevin Towers said. "It's in the best interests of both sides to wait until the end of the season, so that it isn't a distraction. We certainly realize that the closer he gets to free agency, it becomes that much more difficult. We like the player. We'd like to have him. But we didn't want to keep dragging this thing on until the end of the season."

Cameron, who lives outside of Atlanta, could be a viable option for the Braves if they lose Andruw Jones as a free agent. Two other prominent center fielders - Torii Hunter and Ichiro Suzuki - also are expected to hit the open market.

this is significant. :-o
wrveres
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe Musketeer
(Past Year: -313)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Amazinz » Sat Apr 21, 2007 11:37 am

Atlanta is my guess.
Maine has a good swing for a pitcher but on anything that moves, he has no chance. And if it's a fastball, it has to be up in the zone. Basically, the pitcher has to hit his bat. - Mike Pelfrey
Amazinz
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: -120)

Postby TN_Titans_05 » Sat Apr 21, 2007 11:57 am

Amazinz wrote:Atlanta is my guess.

I have heard the Atlanta talk as well. I am not very happy about it either. Cameron is the poor mans Andruw.....he has never hit over 30 HR's in a season and has only had 100 RBI's once in his career. We ar not going to be able to afford what Druw will be asking but I hope Cameron is not going to be his replacement. :,-(
TN_Titans_05
College Coach
College Coach

Home Cafe: Football

Postby Yoda » Sat Apr 21, 2007 11:59 am

Towers is doing the right thing here. With Andruw Jones and Hunter also available this winter, why overpay Cameron who is arguably the worst of the three? I hope the Pads get either Andruw or Hunter personally.
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that." ~George Carlin
Yoda
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertMock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: -153)

Postby wrveres » Sat Apr 21, 2007 12:06 pm

San Diego is not getting Jones. Jacque maybe. Not Andruw.
wrveres
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe Musketeer
(Past Year: -313)

Postby joemorgan » Sat Apr 21, 2007 12:07 pm

Big news because this is blockbuster!
joemorgan
College Coach
College Coach

(Past Year: -1)

Postby Another Blown Save » Sat Apr 21, 2007 12:24 pm

Hopefully this will help Cameron start swinging the bat :-o
http://www.baseball-reference.com/players/l/latosma01.shtml. Mat Latos - Sponsored by the Fantasy Baseball Cafe!
Another Blown Save
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly WinnerTrivia Time Trial Monthly Winner
(Past Year: -361)

Return to Baseball Leftovers