Adam Loewen - thoughts?

Sleepers, updates, strategy, advice ... if it doesn't fit one of the more specialized categories, it goes right here! (Note: Please do NOT post trade, keeper or 'rate my team' questions - they have separate forums.)

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Havok1517
T-Ball Trainer
Posts: 0
Joined: Mon Mar 08, 2004 12:26 am
Beginner: No
Roster Information: 12 Team 5X5 H2H 28 Man Roster Dynasty Keeper League

C: Salvador Perez (C)
1B: Joey Votto (1B)
2B: Gordon Beckham (2B)
3B: Aramis Ramirez (3B)
SS: Troy Tulowitski (SS)
OF: Carlos Gonzalez (OF)
OF: Ryan Braun (OF)
OF: Carlos Beltran (OF)
Util: Justin Morneau (1B)
Util: Michael Stanton (OF)
Bench: Nick Castellanos (3B)
Bench: Nick Markakis (OF)
Bench: Jonathan Villar (SS)
Bench: Javier Báez (SS)
Bench: Oscar Tavares (OF)
NA: Carlos Correa (SS)

SP: Felix Hernandez (SP)
SP: Zack Greinke (SP)
RP: Casey Janssen (RP)
RP: Jim Johnson (RP)
P: Ricky Nolasco (SP)
P: Jared Weaver (SP)
P: Yovani Gallardo (SP)
Bench: Lance Lynn (SP)
Bench: Jacob Turner (SP)
Bench: Yordano Ventura (SP)
Bench: Carlos Martinez (SP,RP)
Bench: Alex Wood (SP,RP)
NA: Robert Stephenson (SP)
NA: Max Fried (SP)

Farm System:
01: L. Brinson (Tex - OF)
02: Al. Reyes (Stl - SP)
03: Josh Bell (OF)
04. Drew Ward (3B)

Post by Havok1517 »

GotowarMissAgnes wrote:
Havok1517 wrote:Cabrera has more dominating stuff. Personally, I'm a Loewen fan and would take him over Cabrera but the fireballer has a higher ceiling.


Again, I would just have to ask, "Based on what?"

Suppose you had never seen either guy pitch and you looked just at their performance on the field.

What evidence would you cite in favor of Cabrera's higher ceiling?

I think this is just an example of wishful thinking. A guy "looks better"---has good face as the scouts might say. But, my question is WHERE'S THE BEEF?

Cabrera's done very little to demonstrate better "stuff" where it really counts...on the field.

Doesn't matter how much "stuff" you got...if the hitters hit, it ain't good enough; if you can't get it over the plate consistently, it ain't gonna work.


It all about potential and a 100+ MPH fastball plus the Ks he is able to get give him the highest ceiling. I personally don't think he'll meet his ceiling but he could get well over 200Ks if matures his location.
GotowarMissAgnes
T-Ball Trainer
Posts: 0
Joined: Fri Dec 12, 2003 9:26 pm
Beginner: No
Roster Information: 16 Team 6x6 (Holds and OPS) 10 Keeper League
C Russell Martin
1B Albert Pujols
2B Kelly Johnson
3b David Wright
SS Alexei Ramirez
OF Corey Hart
OF Nate McLouth
OF Pat Burrell
Util Billy Butler
Util Mark Reynolds
BN
Luke Scott
Orlando Hudson
Fred Lewis
Todd Helton

SP
Roy Halladay
Josh Johnson
Javier Vazquez
Randy Johnson
Manny Parra
Tommy Hanson
RP
Frank Francisco
Brandon Lyon
J.J. Putz
Takashi Saito
Jason Motte

Post by GotowarMissAgnes »

Havok1517 wrote:

It all about potential and a 100+ MPH fastball plus the Ks he is able to get give him the highest ceiling. I personally don't think he'll meet his ceiling but he could get well over 200Ks if matures his location.


On potential...why would you say Cabrera has more potential, when Loewen has been better than him at every level, despite the fact that he was often 2-3 years younger?

On 100+ MPH fastball, you and I can name lots of guys who can dial it up to 100+ who aren't that good. Bill James' list from previous years includes guys like McClung and Denny Bautista. Speed isn't the key. Movement, control, consistency, and change of speed is.

Finally, as I have already pointed at, Loewen is just as good, if not better in getting Ks than Cabrera.

I know I may be beating a dead horse, but I just don't see any good points being put forward for the claim that Cabrera's got the higher ceiling.
Havok1517
T-Ball Trainer
Posts: 0
Joined: Mon Mar 08, 2004 12:26 am
Beginner: No
Roster Information: 12 Team 5X5 H2H 28 Man Roster Dynasty Keeper League

C: Salvador Perez (C)
1B: Joey Votto (1B)
2B: Gordon Beckham (2B)
3B: Aramis Ramirez (3B)
SS: Troy Tulowitski (SS)
OF: Carlos Gonzalez (OF)
OF: Ryan Braun (OF)
OF: Carlos Beltran (OF)
Util: Justin Morneau (1B)
Util: Michael Stanton (OF)
Bench: Nick Castellanos (3B)
Bench: Nick Markakis (OF)
Bench: Jonathan Villar (SS)
Bench: Javier Báez (SS)
Bench: Oscar Tavares (OF)
NA: Carlos Correa (SS)

SP: Felix Hernandez (SP)
SP: Zack Greinke (SP)
RP: Casey Janssen (RP)
RP: Jim Johnson (RP)
P: Ricky Nolasco (SP)
P: Jared Weaver (SP)
P: Yovani Gallardo (SP)
Bench: Lance Lynn (SP)
Bench: Jacob Turner (SP)
Bench: Yordano Ventura (SP)
Bench: Carlos Martinez (SP,RP)
Bench: Alex Wood (SP,RP)
NA: Robert Stephenson (SP)
NA: Max Fried (SP)

Farm System:
01: L. Brinson (Tex - OF)
02: Al. Reyes (Stl - SP)
03: Josh Bell (OF)
04. Drew Ward (3B)

Post by Havok1517 »

GotowarMissAgnes wrote:
Havok1517 wrote:

It all about potential and a 100+ MPH fastball plus the Ks he is able to get give him the highest ceiling. I personally don't think he'll meet his ceiling but he could get well over 200Ks if matures his location.


On potential...why would you say Cabrera has more potential, when Loewen has been better than him at every level, despite the fact that he was often 2-3 years younger?

On 100+ MPH fastball, you and I can name lots of guys who can dial it up to 100+ who aren't that good. Bill James' list from previous years includes guys like McClung and Denny Bautista. Speed isn't the key. Movement, control, consistency, and change of speed is.

Finally, as I have already pointed at, Loewen is just as good, if not better in getting Ks than Cabrera.

I know I may be beating a dead horse, but I just don't see any good points being put forward for the claim that Cabrera's got the higher ceiling.


Look harder.
GotowarMissAgnes
T-Ball Trainer
Posts: 0
Joined: Fri Dec 12, 2003 9:26 pm
Beginner: No
Roster Information: 16 Team 6x6 (Holds and OPS) 10 Keeper League
C Russell Martin
1B Albert Pujols
2B Kelly Johnson
3b David Wright
SS Alexei Ramirez
OF Corey Hart
OF Nate McLouth
OF Pat Burrell
Util Billy Butler
Util Mark Reynolds
BN
Luke Scott
Orlando Hudson
Fred Lewis
Todd Helton

SP
Roy Halladay
Josh Johnson
Javier Vazquez
Randy Johnson
Manny Parra
Tommy Hanson
RP
Frank Francisco
Brandon Lyon
J.J. Putz
Takashi Saito
Jason Motte

Post by GotowarMissAgnes »

Havok1517 wrote:
Look harder.


Haven't seen much worth looking at.

As far as I can tell the claims are:
Cabrera throws harder.
Cabrera strikes out more guys.

The first has little relevance.
The second isn't true.

I've seen both guys pitch in both major and minor leagues.
I've looked carefully at the numbers.

Loewen's got a much higher ceiling.
Yoda
T-Ball Trainer
Posts: 0
Joined: Fri Jan 21, 2005 5:21 pm

Post by Yoda »

Havok1517 wrote:Cabrera has more dominating stuff. Personally, I'm a Loewen fan and would take him over Cabrera but the fireballer has a higher ceiling.


Cabrera has better stuff but his ceiling is not higher than Loewen's. Loewen is still young and if he can improve his control, he will be a far better pither than Cabrera. Cabrera will likely never harness his stuff which is a shame.
Post Reply

Return to “Baseball Leftovers”