Return to Baseball Leftovers

What is Albert Pujols' problem?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

What is Albert Pujols' problem?

Postby sportsaddict » Sat Apr 21, 2007 10:24 pm

No, this is not a venting thread because I am worried about his production, mind you. :-)

This is my frustration for Albert Pujols being a Class A jerk the past few seasons. What is his problem? He is acting arrogant, self-centered, and basically like a complete a-hole. I read this quote in the recap from today's game and was just appalled.

"He got in trouble like normally, you know, he always gets in trouble, and finds a lucky pitch to make to get out of trouble, you know," Cardinals start Albert Pujols said of Marquis, who is slated to get a World Series ring when the Cubs visit St. Louis next week.

Give the man some credit. He pitched well against you, made you look like a fool, so don't try to act like he was "lucky" and that you can do no wrong. I'll say that later he does say that Marquis was successful because he kept the ball down, but this comment is just disrespectful and unnecessary. Maybe I'm over reacting, but I'm sick of Pujols and his pompus attitude. He tries to act like he's better than everyone, and he talks down the media and fans. He made the Glavine comment about him not being that good when he dominated him in the playoffs last year, he acted like a baby when he lost the MVP to Howard (and Howard probably deserved it). He said that he shouldn't have won it because Philly didn't make the playoffs, and he acted like a jealous snob saying it. Just be happy for him, and don't get angry over stupid things like awards. I've heard a lot of things from the local media about how Pujols is difficult to deal with and very arrogant, and very condescending, and I heard a story that Pujols failed to come out on the field after a game last year to give his jersey to a cancer victim, when he was one of the players selected to do so. I'm sick of Pujols whining and complaining and making excuses.

He's one of the best baseball players I think I've ever seen. But I'm tired of this act, he's starting to become very unlikable and if he doesn't watch out he could turn into another Bonds.
"Oh, that Lankford and McGee, the trio of 'em. They're a one-man wrecking crew."

-Mike Shannon
sportsaddict
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: -24)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Deuce » Sat Apr 21, 2007 11:29 pm

He is an entertainer, not a role model. He excels at a child's game. That is all that should be expected of him, entertainment.
The glass is neither half full nor half empty... It is simply a glass
Deuce
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Lucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby ab » Sun Apr 22, 2007 12:04 am

I'm actually with you on this one. Of course, I'm a cubs fan and I'm typically looking for reasons to hate Cards' players, but still...
ab
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: -3)

Postby teddy ballgame » Sun Apr 22, 2007 12:15 am

I don't really know much about the guy living in Boston but I was under the impression that he was one of the nicer guys. He has a charity towards Down Syndrome because of his step daughter and stuff and I thought he was regarded fairly well.

It's kind of surprising to hear all this stuff now, but I'm not shocked. A lot of guys are like that. If I was making all that money who am I to say I'd act any different?
teddy ballgame
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: -350)

Postby mweir145 » Sun Apr 22, 2007 12:23 am

Deuce wrote:He is an entertainer, not a role model. He excels at a child's game. That is all that should be expected of him, entertainment.

He's an entertaining ballplayer, and one of the best I've ever seen. That's all I particularly care about. I suppose they might be easier for some people to root for if they are nice guys off the field (though I don't really see the relevance), but that just isn't the case for some players, and I'm not going to judge them for it.
mweir145
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Eagle Eye
(Past Year: -320)

Postby sportsaddict » Sun Apr 22, 2007 12:30 am

mweir145 wrote:
Deuce wrote:He is an entertainer, not a role model. He excels at a child's game. That is all that should be expected of him, entertainment.

He's an entertaining ballplayer, and one of the best I've ever seen. That's all I particularly care about. I suppose they might be easier for some people to root for if they are nice guys off the field (though I don't really see the relevance), but that just isn't the case for some players, and I'm not going to judge them for it.

I definitely agree with you that his job is to entertain us on the baseball field. I just wish he wouldn't be so bitter about everything. It reflects badly on him and makes him look like a mean-spirited person, and I just don't want to see him go down that Bonds path.
"Oh, that Lankford and McGee, the trio of 'em. They're a one-man wrecking crew."

-Mike Shannon
sportsaddict
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: -24)

Postby byfrcp » Sun Apr 22, 2007 12:33 am

He's disrespectful.

How can you say Glavine, a soon-to-be 300 game winner, and future HOF'er, is not good? If I was Glavine I would have beaned him on Opening Night.
byfrcp
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Eagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: -72)

Postby Deuce » Sun Apr 22, 2007 12:35 am

I've heard these same things said about Rock stars, actors and other celebrity types. Is there some connection?
The glass is neither half full nor half empty... It is simply a glass
Deuce
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Lucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Next

Return to Baseball Leftovers