Return to Baseball Leftovers

What is Albert Pujols' problem?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby stlcanowhupass » Sun Apr 22, 2007 1:04 am

I think Pujols is just being honest. Jason Marquis absolutely sucked last year and wasn't even on the World Series roster. Glavine doesn't need Pujols to tell him he's good, of course he's good but in the twilight of his career. I think he hit a homerun off him the next time they faced each other.
He does a lot of charity work and gives back to the community. He got robbed (again) from getting the MVP (look at the comparison in #s between him and Howard) and his team went to the playoffs largely due to him - he carried the team most of the year.

Anybody can say "the right thing" in any given situation but i think you are railing him because he is being candid.
stlcanowhupass
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Splendid61 » Sun Apr 22, 2007 1:10 am

Two side effects of performance enhancer use are hair loss and mood swings.
Splendid61
College Coach
College Coach

Postby byfrcp » Sun Apr 22, 2007 1:18 am

Splendid61 wrote:Two side effects of performance enhancer use are hair loss and mood swings.

Haha that's true ;-D
byfrcp
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Eagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: -72)

Postby JoshDJays » Sun Apr 22, 2007 1:39 am

Shocking.
JoshDJays Beginner
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: -2)

Postby Syler » Sun Apr 22, 2007 1:49 am

He's an arrogant jerk. First with Glavine, then with Howard, and now this.

STLCanOWhoopAss- I disagree with most of that. So what if Marquis sucked last year? He's been great so far this year and he dominated the Cardinals today. And maybe it's not "a lucky pitch", maybe it's just that Pujols has blown chunks so far this year. Glavine's a future HOF who dominated in Game 1 of the NLCS so Pujols should have given him a little credit instead of saying he wasn't good at all. Finally, why is everyone saying Pujols got robbed? Howard had more HRs and RBIs and a good average, plus he stayed healthy all year(which Pujols didnt) and the Phillies won more games than the Cardinals, they just didn't have the fortune of playing in the worst division in baseball.

Pujols should keep his mouth shut next time, until he actually says something intelligent.
Last edited by Syler on Sun Apr 22, 2007 2:13 am, edited 1 time in total.
Syler Beginner
College Coach
College Coach

Postby sportsaddict » Sun Apr 22, 2007 2:08 am

stlcanowhupass wrote:I think Pujols is just being honest. Jason Marquis absolutely sucked last year and wasn't even on the World Series roster. Glavine doesn't need Pujols to tell him he's good, of course he's good but in the twilight of his career. I think he hit a homerun off him the next time they faced each other.
He does a lot of charity work and gives back to the community. He got robbed (again) from getting the MVP (look at the comparison in #s between him and Howard) and his team went to the playoffs largely due to him - he carried the team most of the year.

Anybody can say "the right thing" in any given situation but i think you are railing him because he is being candid.

I'm assuming from your name you are a Cards fan. I think a lot of us have been blinded by his good work in the community, which is great, but the fact is a lot of players do that for publicity to seem like good guys. Pujols is just a complete jerk, his comments are disrespectful and mean. An honest comment, in my opinion, is saying something like "our entire offense is playing like crap right now," (which it is). An honest comment is not "Marquis gets lucky and that's why we lost, he got lucky." That's being a jerk and making excuses. Saying that Ryan Howard didn't deserve the MVP isn't being honest, it's trying to act like he has a sense of entitlement. And Howard deserved that MVP just as much as Albert did. And the whole Glavine thing, Pujols needs to suck it up and realize that Glavine just pitched well that night. No sense in saying "he wasn't that good," when he shut down the Cards that night. I think there's a difference between being honest an acting like a jerk.
"Oh, that Lankford and McGee, the trio of 'em. They're a one-man wrecking crew."

-Mike Shannon
sportsaddict
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: -24)

Postby cards05 » Sun Apr 22, 2007 4:01 am

sportsaddict wrote:
stlcanowhupass wrote:I think Pujols is just being honest. Jason Marquis absolutely sucked last year and wasn't even on the World Series roster. Glavine doesn't need Pujols to tell him he's good, of course he's good but in the twilight of his career. I think he hit a homerun off him the next time they faced each other.

I'm assuming from your name you are a Cards fan. I think a lot of us have been blinded by his good work in the community, which is great, but the fact is a lot of players do that for publicity to seem like good guys. Pujols is just a complete jerk, his comments are disrespectful and mean. An honest comment, in my opinion, is saying something like "our entire offense is playing like crap right now," (which it is). An honest comment is not "Marquis gets lucky and that's why we lost, he got lucky." That's being a jerk and making excuses. Saying that Ryan Howard didn't deserve the MVP isn't being honest, it's trying to act like he has a sense of entitlement. And Howard deserved that MVP just as much as Albert did. And the whole Glavine thing, Pujols needs to suck it up and realize that Glavine just pitched well that night. No sense in saying "he wasn't that good," when he shut down the Cards that night. I think there's a difference between being honest an acting like a jerk.

I'm sorry, but that's hilarious: Let's not get blinded by that great stuff he does for the community. That stuff is hogwash. We should instead focus on his honest Marquis and Glavine comments. Very well-said.

It's stuff like this that drives me crazy. If you guys read an article about him giving hundreds of thousands of dollars to charity, you just dismiss it (similar to the Bonds-haters). Then, when he makes a remark about Jason Marquis (that I will admit seems uncalled for) you all of a sudden are qualified to call him a jerk. You know what? Not many jerks do what he does for society.

Another thing, I really hate how honesty gets punished these days. Anyone who knows ANY and I mean ANYTHING about Marquis knows that he is certainly getting lucky right now. Pujols said what was on his mind, and I don't blame him for that.

Was it an A**hole thing to say about Marquis? Yes. Was Marquis an a**hole to Duncan when Marquis refused to be coached (for a second time after Leo in Atlanta)? Yes. Is Pujols the type to hold it against him? Maybe. So what?
cards05
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: -3)

Re: What is Albert Pujols' problem?

Postby This is the year » Sun Apr 22, 2007 4:05 am

sportsaddict wrote:(and Howard probably deserved it)

This is patently false.
This is the year
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: -2)

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers