Return to Baseball Leftovers

Everybody Hate Barry - Leftovers Opinions?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Everybody Hate Barry - Leftovers Opinions?

Postby bcb » Sun Apr 22, 2007 4:25 pm

Is Bonds still worth the fantasy headache?

For those that have him on their squad, how difficult is it to keep up with when he starts and sits? He seems to be on a bit of a mission this year - 11runs, 5 hr, 11 rbi, .349. And he seems to be available in an increasing number of leagues.

And how do you reconcile having a guy you hate on your team?

Any sage leftovers' opinions?
bcb
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: -4)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby teddy ballgame » Sun Apr 22, 2007 4:38 pm

If he's still available you should grab him. Make sure you have someone you can platoon with him but it's not that hard to keep track of when he sits. If there's a day game following a night game he usually sits and other than that just check the lineups before the game if you can.
teddy ballgame
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: -350)

Postby fbc_fan » Sun Apr 22, 2007 5:14 pm

he is absolutely raking right now. i've been platooning him, and it's worked out pretty well. i'd say that if he's available he's reached "must add" status.
thanks to madison/go_jays_go for the slick sig!
fbc_fan
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby bcb » Sun Apr 22, 2007 5:29 pm

Just to be clear - I'm just asking the question. I've never been a Bonds fan, but I seems to be particularly focused this year.

In other words, this isn't a Trade/WW/Keeper inquiry. Nothing to see here, Web Hammy! ;-D
bcb
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: -4)

Postby Big Pimpin » Sun Apr 22, 2007 5:58 pm

I have him a weekly league and have no problem with having him in the lineup. He only seems to sit maybe one day a week, and so long as he's raking when he's playing, I'm down with that. ;-D

And yeah if he's available, I'd absolutely add him in any league format.
Big Pimpin
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

EditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb SupporterMatchup Meltdown ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: -486)

Postby Splendid61 » Sun Apr 22, 2007 6:48 pm

teddy ballgame wrote:If there's a day game following a night game he usually sits and other than that just check the lineups before the game if you can.

I suggest you platoon the 7-time MVP with a guy that has unusual splits, whether it's facing lefties vs. righties or home vs. away. A good example is Moises Alou, he suddenly turns into a top 25 overall player when he faces left-handed pitching.
Splendid61
College Coach
College Coach

Postby chadlincoln » Mon Apr 23, 2007 7:05 am

A guy hitting 30+ HR's this year is definitely worth the 'headache'.
chadlincoln
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb Supporter
(Past Year: -23)

Postby bselig » Mon Apr 23, 2007 9:56 am

As long as he puts up Bondsian numbers sitting offers an advantage over other players with comparable stats because you can "get an extra game in." As mentioned by another poster playing a gentleman with good splits is a nice strategy. I think I would likely fill the extra game per week with a dedicated SB guy since I am usually weak in that category.
[b][size=35]25[/size][/b]
bselig Beginner
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: -1)

Postby pangbones » Mon Apr 23, 2007 10:32 am

I was surprised to see him available in one of my leagues a few days ago, so I grabbed him. I've been playing D Roberts as my 3rd OF, so Bonds will be replacing him, until Glaus comes back and I can move B Hall back to OF. I don't think he's missed more than a game a week thus far. He says he feels about as good as he did a few years ago. ;-D I expect very nice numbers from him the rest of the way.
pangbones
General Manager
General Manager

Fantasy Expert
(Past Year: -3)

Postby Deuce » Mon Apr 23, 2007 11:42 am

Do you really have to ask if you should pick up the 2007 MVP off the waiver wire?
It's not a fluke, he is going to play alot. He will be worth it. Remember its fantasy, you can wake up anytime and drop him.
The glass is neither half full nor half empty... It is simply a glass
Deuce
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Lucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Next

Return to Baseball Leftovers