Return to Baseball Leftovers

Jekyll/Hyde i.e. Ervin Santana

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Jekyll/Hyde i.e. Ervin Santana

Postby masterpinky0509 » Sun Apr 22, 2007 5:05 pm

So he's 5 IP, 1 ER right now at home. His last two strikeouts were pretty sick (Ichiro on 3 pitches: 2 straight curves and then a fastball low and inside) and he's definitely dealing right now. The only run came on a pitch to Adrian Beltre that was low but over the middle, still not a bad pitch b/c guys will often get on top of it.

But what is the deal w/ his home/road split? This guy has great stuff and fairly good control w/ all his pitches, why does he get shelled every time on the road?
masterpinky0509
College Coach
College Coach

(Past Year: -1)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby SirDunkALot » Sun Apr 22, 2007 5:31 pm

Maybe he feels comfortable at home?

Either way, he is $$$$$$$$$$$$$ at home. Ridiculously insanely good at home. If you just played him at home versus anybody, he probably must have sick ratios.
SirDunkALot
College Coach
College Coach

Postby jbones733 » Sun Apr 22, 2007 7:35 pm

this is me when i see he's pitching at home :-D :-D

& me when he's on the road :~( :~(

nothing to do right now but start him every home start & bench him every road start
jbones733
General Manager
General Manager

Cafeholic
(Past Year: -6)

Postby Old_Style » Sun Apr 22, 2007 7:51 pm

Here are the cold hard facts....

Career splits before today:
Home: 32GS, 211IP, 20-5, 3.07ERA, 1.18WHIP
Away: 27GS, 142IP, 9-13, 6.78ERA, 1.58WHIP

Pretty brutal. I think the most glaring part is that his average outing at home is just under 6 2/3 innings and his average outing away is under 5 1/3 innings.
Old_Style
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: -218)

Postby roninmedia » Sun Apr 22, 2007 8:08 pm

We understand what the splits are, but is the answer to why, merely he feels more comfortable at home? Seems simple enough but what a major blow to him being a true star.
roninmedia
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

CafeholicEagle Eye
(Past Year: -13)

Postby masterpinky0509 » Sun Apr 22, 2007 8:52 pm

I heard Scoscia had an interesting idea: having Santana warm up through the top of the 1st inning, so he enters the bottom of the 1st freshly warmed up (so it's exactly like home, where he goes straight from warm-up to pitching).
masterpinky0509
College Coach
College Coach

(Past Year: -1)

Postby Old_Style » Sun Apr 22, 2007 9:04 pm

masterpinky0509 wrote:I heard Scoscia had an interesting idea: having Santana warm up through the top of the 1st inning, so he enters the bottom of the 1st freshly warmed up (so it's exactly like home, where he goes straight from warm-up to pitching).

The solution can't be that simple, can it?

Angel Stadium is considered a hitters park isn't it? If so, it's got to be something mental than and maybe Scoscia's idea might just work.
Old_Style
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: -218)

Postby teddy ballgame » Sun Apr 22, 2007 9:12 pm

Old_Style wrote:
masterpinky0509 wrote:I heard Scoscia had an interesting idea: having Santana warm up through the top of the 1st inning, so he enters the bottom of the 1st freshly warmed up (so it's exactly like home, where he goes straight from warm-up to pitching).

The solution can't be that simple, can it?

Angel Stadium is considered a hitters park isn't it? If so, it's got to be something mental than and maybe Scoscia's idea might just work.

Anything to make him worth more than 15 starts.
teddy ballgame
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: -350)

Postby jbones733 » Sun Apr 22, 2007 9:15 pm

he did that before the red sox game earlier in the week ,to no avail, at least Scoscia's trying new ideas to help figure out what it is
jbones733
General Manager
General Manager

Cafeholic
(Past Year: -6)

Return to Baseball Leftovers