Return to Baseball Leftovers

Michael Friggin Young

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby jbones733 » Mon Apr 23, 2007 8:06 am

yeah, i mean he has a track record, he's never been a home run hitter, he did drive in 100 runs last year, 200 hits past 4 years , w a .300 average, i cant see how people cant get anything for Michael Young, he's one of the more proven guys having a slow start out there
jbones733
General Manager
General Manager

Cafeholic
(Past Year: -6)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby gatorgreenwell » Mon Apr 23, 2007 11:37 am

Ozzie Guillen says that Young is his favorite player, for what it's worth.
gatorgreenwell
College Coach
College Coach

Postby nbb23 » Mon Apr 23, 2007 11:39 am

He was just dropped in the 10 team H2H league I am in this year. I have the #4 waiver and plan on using it to pick him up, but I just have to decide what to drop for him. As others have stated, M. Young is a proven guy and I think he will get things going once Tex wakes up and Kinsler is moved up in the lineup!!
nbb23
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: -2)

Postby chadlincoln » Mon Apr 23, 2007 11:40 am

nbb23 wrote:He was just dropped in the 10 team H2H league I am in this year. I have the #4 waiver and plan on using it to pick him up, but I just have to decide what to drop for him. As others have stated, M. Young is a proven guy and I think he will get things going once Tex wakes up and Kinsler is moved up in the lineup!!
That's crazy. Grab him if you can with your waiver.
chadlincoln
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb Supporter
(Past Year: -23)

Postby pokerplaya » Mon Apr 23, 2007 11:40 am

Laean wrote:
pokerplaya wrote:He somewhat lost his powerstroke last year (hit just 14 HR's) and is on the wrong side of 30. It's not unreasonable to expect that he is past his peak and may not be the player he once was anymore.

I'm not saying he won't be a worthwhile SS, but I don't think he's top 30 pick anymore.

31 is right smackdab in the middle of a hitter's prime.

Someone asked me my opinion, and I gave it. I hope I'm wrong, but this is a gut feeling I have on this one. And for some reason, I thought he was 32, closer to 33....now that I've gone and checked, he is a bit younger than I thought.

Regardless, it's my opinion...take it or leave it.
pokerplaya
Kitchen Staff
Kitchen Staff

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: -231)

Postby Amazinz » Mon Apr 23, 2007 11:42 am

Laean wrote:31 is right smackdab in the middle of a hitter's prime.

The average prime occurs at ~28.
Maine has a good swing for a pitcher but on anything that moves, he has no chance. And if it's a fastball, it has to be up in the zone. Basically, the pitcher has to hit his bat. - Mike Pelfrey
Amazinz
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: -120)

Postby hookem2003 » Mon Apr 23, 2007 12:15 pm

He did this the year he won the batting title. Hit about .250 for the first 6-8 weeks. Proceeded to hit .400 for the rest of the season.
hookem2003
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: -1)

Postby pokerplaya » Mon Apr 23, 2007 12:17 pm

hookem2003 wrote:He did this the year he won the batting title. Hit about .250 for the first 6-8 weeks. Proceeded to hit .400 for the rest of the season.

Well he's batting like .160 right now, so it's not exactly the same, but I understand your point.

All I was trying to say is that I don't think he will match the numbers he has put up during his prime years where he was good for a .315 25 100 100 season.
pokerplaya
Kitchen Staff
Kitchen Staff

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: -231)

Postby Laean » Mon Apr 23, 2007 3:57 pm

pokerplaya wrote:
Laean wrote:
pokerplaya wrote:He somewhat lost his powerstroke last year (hit just 14 HR's) and is on the wrong side of 30. It's not unreasonable to expect that he is past his peak and may not be the player he once was anymore.

I'm not saying he won't be a worthwhile SS, but I don't think he's top 30 pick anymore.

31 is right smackdab in the middle of a hitter's prime.

Someone asked me my opinion, and I gave it. I hope I'm wrong, but this is a gut feeling I have on this one. And for some reason, I thought he was 32, closer to 33....now that I've gone and checked, he is a bit younger than I thought.

Regardless, it's my opinion...take it or leave it.

i don't have an issue with your opinions that he may have lost his power stroke or that he is past his prime. your support for those opinions though were at least partly based on the fact that he is "on the wrong side of 30." it's pretty accepted in baseball that 31 is not the age where one is past his prime. i wanted to correct your use of your supporting fact, not your opinion. if you still want to think he's lost his power stroke and is past his prime, that's fine.
Laean
General Manager
General Manager

(Past Year: -3)

Postby Laean » Mon Apr 23, 2007 3:58 pm

Amazinz wrote:
Laean wrote:31 is right smackdab in the middle of a hitter's prime.

The average prime occurs at ~28.

it believe it begins at 28, but last through early 30s, certainly past 31. no hitter is already past his prime at 31 unless he was on roids or something.
Laean
General Manager
General Manager

(Past Year: -3)

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers