Return to Baseball Leftovers

SP/RP relievers with good ratios

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby GotowarMissAgnes » Tue Apr 24, 2007 5:58 am

The Guru wrote:One I'm looking at right now is Mark Hendrickson. So far this year he has been very good. Last year his numbers where bad but I think he was mostly a starter last year. I'm not confident in him yet so still watching him.

I remember him in TB and he was talked about as having good talent.

He's been starting ever since Schmidt went down.
GotowarMissAgnes
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy Expert
(Past Year: -47)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Drunken Rhino » Tue Apr 24, 2007 10:56 am

GotowarMissAgnes wrote:Jimmy Gobble and Affeldt for the Royals
Saarloos and Santos for the Reds
Scott Downs for the Jays

Affeldt is on the Rockies now.
Drunken Rhino
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: -5)

Postby GotowarMissAgnes » Tue Apr 24, 2007 10:57 am

Drunken Rhino wrote:
Scott Downs for the Jays

D'OH. Thanks for the correction. I actually remember seeing that as i was looking this up, and still did it wrong.
GotowarMissAgnes
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy Expert
(Past Year: -47)

Postby Drunken Rhino » Tue Apr 24, 2007 11:00 am

GotowarMissAgnes wrote:
Drunken Rhino wrote:
Scott Downs for the Jays

D'OH. Thanks for the correction. I actually remember seeing that as i was looking this up, and still did it wrong.

No biggie, it's just why I'm avoiding him. Ever since I drafted Jimenez years ago for my CL, I'll never trust a Rox reliever again.
Drunken Rhino
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby Mortician » Tue Apr 24, 2007 1:24 pm

I would add Sowers to the list of starters for good ratios, and can be had cheap. Since his call-up, he's put up Glavine-esque numbers (I know I'm getting waay ahead of myself).

'06 = 88 IP 3.57 ERA 1.19 WHIP

'07 = 22IP 4.76 ERA 1.41 WHIP *
*(07 #'s tainted by one bad start against the yanks, which any regular fantasy player knows not to start a mid-level pitcher against the yanks)
'07 minus the Start against Yanks = 2.70 ERA 1.10 WHIP
Mortician
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: 3)

Postby Drunken Rhino » Tue Apr 24, 2007 1:35 pm

Mortician wrote:I would add Sowers to the list of starters for good ratios, and can be had cheap. Since his call-up, he's put up Glavine-esque numbers (I know I'm getting waay ahead of myself).

*(07 #'s tainted by one bad start against the yanks, which any regular fantasy player knows not to start a mid-level pitcher against the yanks)

Mort, you got the point of this thread wrong. It's mostly for RPs that qualify at SP and will post good ratios while doing so in the SP slot.

That being said, I want no part of Sowers in fantasy baseball. Think 2006 Wang w/ even LESS Ks.
Drunken Rhino
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby Mortician » Tue Apr 24, 2007 2:39 pm

Drunken Rhino wrote:
Mortician wrote:I would add Sowers to the list of starters for good ratios, and can be had cheap. Since his call-up, he's put up Glavine-esque numbers (I know I'm getting waay ahead of myself).

Mort, you got the point of this thread wrong. It's mostly for RPs that qualify at SP and will post good ratios while doing so in the SP slot.

That being said, I want no part of Sowers in fantasy baseball. Think 2006 Wang w/ even LESS Ks.

Well, than whats the point of carrying middle relievers on a team that doesnt count holds??? Oh Wait, its for help in ratios! Sowers so far in his career has put up middle reliever type ratios with starters innings...I'll take that anyday. Remember, not everyone plays with small roster sizes where non-closing relievers and back end starters are useless. In a league that ounts k/9, I'm with you on Sowers. But in a league where most teams carry 12-14 SP's,and the best WW pitcher is Jae Seo, having a guy like Sowers allows you to carry a guy like Claudio Vargas, Ollie Perez, or James Shields and not get destroyed in ratios. If you take a guy like Zambrano as your #1 starter as opposed to say Halladay, you're going to have to make up for the WHIP differential somewhere in your rotation. RATIOS NEED SOME LOVIN TOO!
Mortician
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: 3)

Postby Chrisy Moltisanti » Tue Apr 24, 2007 2:52 pm

Mortician wrote:
Drunken Rhino wrote:

Well, than whats the point of carrying middle relievers on a team that doesnt count holds??? Oh Wait, its for help in ratios! Sowers so far in his career has put up middle reliever type ratios with starters innings...I'll take that anyday. Remember, not everyone plays with small roster sizes where non-closing relievers and back end starters are useless. In a league that ounts k/9, I'm with you on Sowers. But in a league where most teams carry 12-14 SP's,and the best WW pitcher is Jae Seo, having a guy like Sowers allows you to carry a guy like Claudio Vargas, Ollie Perez, or James Shields and not get destroyed in ratios. If you take a guy like Zambrano as your #1 starter as opposed to say Halladay, you're going to have to make up for the WHIP differential somewhere in your rotation. RATIOS NEED SOME LOVIN TOO!

It's not like an 3.00 ERA from a MR is the same as from a SP, IP/weight of the ratio has to be considered. Therefore, a high K/9 from a RP relative to K/9s of SPs is about as valuable as good ratios, so what it really comes down to is the viability of using a roster spot for a low weight (IP) guy. Based on 12-team "stnd" play, Shields is the only MR with the consistency to use such a spot on in a draft, aside from closer potential. Deeper leagues will have more, but still few. It would take a pretty unique roster/league set up to make these SP/RP guys viable.
Chrisy Moltisanti
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: -37)
Home Cafe: Basketball

Postby amoore70 » Tue Apr 24, 2007 3:39 pm

I'm in a relatively deep h2h league (30 roster spots) with a comparatively small innings limit every week. We use 6 pitching categories, the traditional 5, plus Losses. We have 5 SP's slots, 4 RP slots, and 2 P slots. Starting pitchers got drafted sooooo deep that people play pretty mediocre guys. My draft strategy was to basically draft all offense to start, get a couple really good tier 2 SP's, then draft MR's in the late rounds.

It was a gamble, and an experiment, but the idea was to dominate offensive categories. I lose W's, saves and K's every week, but pretty much am a lock for Losses, ERA and WHIP. I carry 4 MR's with SP/RP eligibility, so I can play 10 MR's total (plus Webb and Sheets) and just make the 25 ip minimum. It's worked the first few weeks.

I have Sele on my roster. He hasn't been mentioned here yet, but has started well, and I'm hoping he keeps his ratios down in the MR role.
amoore70
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers