Return to Baseball Leftovers

Eric Bedard

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby fbc_fan » Tue Apr 24, 2007 5:37 pm

his DER this year is .623. this is most likely why he stinks so far. o's defense needs to step it up.
thanks to madison/go_jays_go for the slick sig!
fbc_fan
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby GotowarMissAgnes » Tue Apr 24, 2007 6:08 pm

fbc_fan wrote:his DER this year is .623. this is most likely why he stinks so far. o's defense needs to step it up.

Given some of their starters (Tejada's gone way down hill; Mora is horrible; Huff has been awful at 1B; Gibbons has played LF as Payton was hurt), I don't think there's much hope. Patterson and Markakis are the only two above average fielders on this team. Payton, may be, but he's been hurt.

So, this could be a problem all year. The other thing about Bedard, which I mentioned last year, is that he's only pitched more than 140 IP one time, I think throughout his major and minor league career. He has a history of injuries that have limited his value.
GotowarMissAgnes
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy Expert
(Past Year: -47)

Postby fbc_fan » Tue Apr 24, 2007 6:17 pm

GotowarMissAgnes wrote:
fbc_fan wrote:his DER this year is .623. this is most likely why he stinks so far. o's defense needs to step it up.

Given some of their starters (Tejada's gone way down hill; Mora is horrible; Huff has been awful at 1B; Gibbons has played LF as Payton was hurt), I don't think there's much hope. Patterson and Markakis are the only two above average fielders on this team. Payton, may be, but he's been hurt.

So, this could be a problem all year. The other thing about Bedard, which I mentioned last year, is that he's only pitched more than 140 IP one time, I think throughout his major and minor league career. He has a history of injuries that have limited his value.

i was not aware that the outlook on the O's defense was so bad. thanks for the heads up.

on a side note, dcab's DER is just as bad as bedard's, coming in at .627. however loewen's is clinging to the league average at .695 and trachsel's is a whopping .797. still a small sample set, but perhaps there is some hope for bedard if the batters start hitting it right at the defense.
fbc_fan
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby GotowarMissAgnes » Tue Apr 24, 2007 8:09 pm

fbc_fan wrote:I was not aware that the outlook on the O's defense was so bad. thanks for the heads up.

on a side note, dcab's DER is just as bad as bedard's, coming in at .627. however loewen's is clinging to the league average at .695 and trachsel's is a whopping .797. still a small sample set, but perhaps there is some hope for bedard if the batters start hitting it right at the defense.

Warnings about small sample sizes on this, but Trachsel's the only guy who has given up more flyballs than groundballs. Given that he's a righty and not overpowering hitters, my guess is that more of his flyballs are going to the strongest part of the defense, Markakis and Patterson.

The other three guys are all much more heavily ground ball pitchers so far this year. Bedard's K and BB rates are good, but he's giving up a ton of hits, mostly extra singles and homers. Dcab is also doing fine on K and BB, but is on track to give up almost 30 more hits, primarily singles. He's been able to avoid the dingers, so had much better outcomes than Bedard.
GotowarMissAgnes
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy Expert

Postby fbc_fan » Tue Apr 24, 2007 8:13 pm

GotowarMissAgnes wrote:Warnings about small sample sizes on this, but Trachsel's the only guy who has given up more flyballs than groundballs. Given that he's a righty and not overpowering hitters, my guess is that more of his flyballs are going to the strongest part of the defense, Markakis and Patterson.

The other three guys are all much more heavily ground ball pitchers so far this year. Bedard's K and BB rates are good, but he's giving up a ton of hits, mostly extra singles and homers. Dcab is also doing fine on K and BB, but is on track to give up almost 30 more hits, primarily singles. He's been able to avoid the dingers, so had much better outcomes than Bedard.

i can see what you're getting at here, though loewen is sporting a pretty good 59% GB% this year. i'm not sure why his DER is still clinging to the league average other than it just being random luck coupled with a small sample size.
fbc_fan
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby GotowarMissAgnes » Tue Apr 24, 2007 8:31 pm

fbc_fan wrote:i can see what you're getting at here, though loewen is sporting a pretty good 59% GB% this year. i'm not sure why his DER is still clinging to the league average other than it just being random luck coupled with a small sample size.

Yeah, we are talking about a guy who's faced less than 100 batters, has a walk an inning and an ERA under 4.00. No HRs, good bullpen work, and 5 DPs in 19 IP accounts for this, I think.
GotowarMissAgnes
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy Expert

Previous

Return to Baseball Leftovers