Return to Baseball Leftovers

Dotel - What to Expect.....?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby pokerplaya » Wed Apr 25, 2007 3:18 pm

J35J wrote:
JakeTrain72 wrote:I think it's Soria's job until he falters. They will hope Dotel comes back and pitches well but he will pitch set up innings before he closes. Now if Dotel pitches well in a set role upon returning, then I think they might consider making a switch.

But the idea that teams would want to trade for Dotel seems a little unlikely to me. If anything they might trade for Soria. Dotel is an injury risk that has a history of not being able to close effectively. So in essence MLB teams see Dotel as a set up guy with injury risk. I'm sure teams will be looking for bullpen help at the deadline, but I'm guessing Dotel isn't going to be at the top of their lists.

I could see them trading Soria if they are out of the race, Dotel is pitching well and appears to be healthy, and they get a good young arm in return.

I say make a play for Soria because there is uncertainty with him being the closer so his current owner won't be against moving him for something. There really isn't a guy who can challenge Soria as the closer this season other than the career set up guy turned failed closer coming off injury. I like Soria's chances of keeping the job and getting 25-30 saves.

I pretty much disagree with all of this..... !+)

I disagree as well...if Dotel is healthy, it will be his job to lose....
pokerplaya
Kitchen Staff
Kitchen Staff

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: -231)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby J35J » Wed Apr 25, 2007 3:21 pm

pokerplaya wrote:
J35J wrote:
JakeTrain72 wrote:I think it's Soria's job until he falters. They will hope Dotel comes back and pitches well but he will pitch set up innings before he closes. Now if Dotel pitches well in a set role upon returning, then I think they might consider making a switch.

But the idea that teams would want to trade for Dotel seems a little unlikely to me. If anything they might trade for Soria. Dotel is an injury risk that has a history of not being able to close effectively. So in essence MLB teams see Dotel as a set up guy with injury risk. I'm sure teams will be looking for bullpen help at the deadline, but I'm guessing Dotel isn't going to be at the top of their lists.

I could see them trading Soria if they are out of the race, Dotel is pitching well and appears to be healthy, and they get a good young arm in return.

I say make a play for Soria because there is uncertainty with him being the closer so his current owner won't be against moving him for something. There really isn't a guy who can challenge Soria as the closer this season other than the career set up guy turned failed closer coming off injury. I like Soria's chances of keeping the job and getting 25-30 saves.

I pretty much disagree with all of this..... !+)

I disagree as well...if Dotel is healthy, it will be his job to lose....

....not only that but they would never trade Soria either. And if Dotel can go a month and a half or 2 months of healthy successful closing then there would be a handful of teams that would love to take him off our hands.
J35J
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: -42)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Previous

Return to Baseball Leftovers