Return to Baseball Leftovers

Tori Hunter: Facing a Possible Suspension...

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Torii Hunter in trouble for gift to Royals?

Postby bigwords » Tue Apr 24, 2007 12:18 pm

"Hunter's gift of four bottles of Dom Perignon, which he had delivered to the Royals clubhouse this past weekend, was meant as a reward for the Royals sweeping the Detroit Tigers last September, allowing the Twins to come from behind to win the American League Central. The gift fulfilled a promise Hunter made last fall.

But baseball has rules about this sort of thing...

Rule 21-b proclaims "Any player or person connected with a Club who shall offer or give any gift or reward to a player or person connected with another Club for services rendered ... in defeating or attempting to defeat a competing Club ... shall be declared ineligible for not less than three years."

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/stor ... BHeadlines
bigwords
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: -19)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Tori Hunter: Facing a Possible Suspension...

Postby River Rat » Tue Apr 24, 2007 12:24 pm

Apr 23 Hunter could face a possible suspension or fine after giving a gift of champagne to the Royals last weekend as a reward for their 2006 season-ending sweep of Detroit, the Minneapolis Star Tribune reports. "I'm to blame as much as anybody because I didn't know the rule," Minnesota GM Terry Ryan said. "We'll end up righting the wrong. We've already contacted the Royals. They're going to return the goods, and hopefully that'll be the end of it."

Recommendation: Hunter gave the Kansas City clubhouse four bottles of champaigne after joking late last season he'd reward the Royals if they swept the Tigers and helped Minnesota win the division. Apparently team officials didn't realize the gift would violate a rule that doesn't allow gifts for "defeating or attempting to defeat a competing Club." The rule violation carries a penalty of a three-year ban from baseball. While the penalty is serious, the Twins were quick to take back the gift and punishment from MLB is likely to be minor. Still, this is a situation to keep an eye on in case he's suspended for a game or two.
River Rat
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby Amazinz » Tue Apr 24, 2007 12:26 pm

Interesting story. Title changed because it was misleading. :)
Maine has a good swing for a pitcher but on anything that moves, he has no chance. And if it's a fastball, it has to be up in the zone. Basically, the pitcher has to hit his bat. - Mike Pelfrey
Amazinz
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: -120)

Postby Cooner » Tue Apr 24, 2007 12:27 pm

Rotowire wrote:Apr 23 Hunter could face a possible suspension or fine after giving a gift of champagne to the Royals last weekend as a reward for their 2006 season-ending sweep of Detroit, the Minneapolis Star Tribune reports. "I'm to blame as much as anybody because I didn't know the rule," Minnesota GM Terry Ryan said. "We'll end up righting the wrong. We've already contacted the Royals. They're going to return the goods, and hopefully that'll be the end of it."

Recommendation: Hunter gave the Kansas City clubhouse four bottles of champaigne after joking late last season he'd reward the Royals if they swept the Tigers and helped Minnesota win the division. Apparently team officials didn't realize the gift would violate a rule that doesn't allow gifts for "defeating or attempting to defeat a competing Club." The rule violation carries a penalty of a three-year ban from baseball. While the penalty is serious, the Twins were quick to take back the gift and punishment from MLB is likely to be minor. Still, this is a situation to keep an eye on in case he's suspended for a game or two.

Looks like three years is unlikely... :-° :-?
Cooner
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: -4)

Postby bigwords » Tue Apr 24, 2007 12:30 pm

Truth in headlines. Thanks. I need an editor.
bigwords
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: -19)

Postby Big Pimpin » Tue Apr 24, 2007 12:32 pm

I'd laugh so hard if he was suspended for three years. Stupid people doing stuff without checking the rules first... It would serve him right. :-b
Big Pimpin
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

EditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb SupporterMatchup Meltdown ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: -486)

Postby apz » Tue Apr 24, 2007 12:39 pm

I'm no Twins fan or Torii Hunter fan or anything like that, but I'm hoping they just give a slap on the wrist for this one. Sounds like he was just having some fun. A bottle of champagne from Hunter is like me giving someone a piece of gum. A stern warning and reminder of the rule to everyone should suffice.
apz
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: -1)

Postby Chrisy Moltisanti » Tue Apr 24, 2007 12:42 pm

"I do good things. If you want to make a good thing into a bad thing, then so be it."
-- Torii Hunter
;-D

And after "The Cheater's Guide to Baseball Blog" reported the violation, the Twins got a phone call from the commissioner's office about the proffered bubbly. And the Twins found themselves in an awkward position -- having to call the Royals to ask that the champagne be returned.

Luckily, the Royals hadn't popped the corks yet.
:-t

They need to have some sort of relative valuation here. Put yourself in the Royals position, as an average American would you risk the integrity of your industry and yourself and risk your career over 4 bottles of Kendall Jackson Chardonnay?
Chrisy Moltisanti
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: -37)
Home Cafe: Basketball

Postby wrveres » Tue Apr 24, 2007 1:08 pm

A three year ban ?

Wow.
wrveres
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe Musketeer