Return to Baseball Leftovers

Tori Hunter: Facing a Possible Suspension...

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby Inukchuk » Tue Apr 24, 2007 1:08 pm

Big Pimpin wrote:I'd laugh so hard if he was suspended for three years. Stupid people doing stuff without checking the rules first... It would serve him right. :-b

I'm pretty sure you're joking... I hope. I know I haven't memorized everything in my employee handbook...
abrunn11... the place to go for all your sig needs...
Inukchuk
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicCafe WriterMock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: -13)
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: Coming down on this hospital like the hammer of Thor

Postby Big Pimpin » Tue Apr 24, 2007 1:15 pm

Inukchuk wrote:
Big Pimpin wrote:I'd laugh so hard if he was suspended for three years. Stupid people doing stuff without checking the rules first... It would serve him right. :-b

I'm pretty sure you're joking... I hope. I know I haven't memorized everything in my employee handbook...

I'm not joking at all. People need to take some responsibility for their actions. Should he have known off the top of his head that he couldn't give the Royals some bubbly? Probably not. Should he have not been a moron and checked into it before doing it? Absolutely, without question.

I have no sympathy. If you're going to do something that is at all questionable, you ought to figure out if it's against the rules or not. JMO.
Big Pimpin
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

EditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb SupporterMatchup Meltdown ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: -486)

Postby d18Mike » Tue Apr 24, 2007 1:23 pm

I agree. And Death Penalty for parking violations.

Do you realize how foolish MLB would look suspending Hunter for an innocent gesture when one of the greatest cheaters in the history of the sport is set to break the game's most hallowed record.

Rich irony, there.
d18Mike
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: -4)

Postby Chrisy Moltisanti » Tue Apr 24, 2007 1:26 pm

^ great. :-°
Chrisy Moltisanti
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: -37)
Home Cafe: Basketball

Postby StlSluggers » Tue Apr 24, 2007 1:29 pm

I think MLB actually did the right thing here. Having it returned so that they could say there was no gift is about the most politically correct thing they could have done. It totally diffuses the issue.

However, if it had been opened, that would have put them in a bad spot.

Could you imagine having to deal with that? No thanks!
Want an easy icon?
http://www.fantasybaseballcafe.com/forums/viewforum.php?f=133
All you have to do is beat a few guys at picking Sunday's winners.[/url]
StlSluggers
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterWeb Supporter
(Past Year: -301)

Postby NYCBuckeye » Tue Apr 24, 2007 1:30 pm

d18Mike wrote:I agree. And Death Penalty for parking violations.

Do you realize how foolish MLB would look suspending Hunter for an innocent gesture when one of the greatest cheaters in the history of the sport is set to break the game's most hallowed record.

Rich irony, there.

d18mike, that was an awesome post ... good work
NYCBuckeye
College Coach
College Coach

(Past Year: -5)

Postby Chrisy Moltisanti » Tue Apr 24, 2007 1:35 pm

NYCBuckeye wrote:

Rich irony, there.

d18mike, that was an awesome post ... good work

Not really, other teams and players would have to be paying each other off as well in order to apply with any sort of realism.
Chrisy Moltisanti
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: -37)
Home Cafe: Basketball

Postby Big Pimpin » Tue Apr 24, 2007 1:36 pm

Rich irony, there.

Never did I say the punishment fit the crime. But it's what the rule says. And I think it would been hilarious. Maybe would learn that they should know what they're about to do before they do it.

And your second sentence... :-° Give me a break. This isn't about that and the two aren't even remotely related.
Big Pimpin
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

EditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb SupporterMatchup Meltdown ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: -486)

Postby Mookie4ever » Tue Apr 24, 2007 1:40 pm

Even if he hadn't read the rules he should have known that it was wrong. He could have easily have promised them all watches or cash - I don't think that it really mattered to Torii.

MLB is incredibly stupid and inappropriate with these things but I don't think that even MLB would suspend him over this (unless they find out that he bet on the Twins winning the division or the Tigers losing).

The perfect ending to this story would be for Torii Hunter to get suspended and then for him to sue Dom Perignon. That would be perfect. ;-D
Mookie4ever
Head Moderator
Head Moderator

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterHockey ModFootball ModMatchup Meltdown ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: -414)

Postby Art Vandelay » Tue Apr 24, 2007 1:43 pm

Rich irony, there.

haha...MLB has a rule explicitly stating that this is not allowed, and outlining the punishment. Remind me again what the punishment for using steroids was before 2003, when Bonds is suspected of being on them? Or for that matter, remind me again of what the punishment is now?
Art Vandelay
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: -11)

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers