Return to Baseball Leftovers

Tori Hunter: Facing a Possible Suspension...

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby CheeseBeger » Wed Apr 25, 2007 3:33 pm

This reminds me of those "strange laws still on the books"

In the state of Washington, it's illegal to catch a fish by throwing a rock at it.

It is illegal to lie down and fall asleep with your shoes on in North Dakota.

In Pueblo, Colorado, it is illegal to let a dandelion grow within city limits.
2010 H2HWS Champion - Cleveland Clams
CheeseBeger
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Eagle EyeMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly WinnerTrivia Time Trial Monthly Winner
(Past Year: -273)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Zito is God » Wed Apr 25, 2007 3:37 pm

So I'll be arrested if I fall asleep in the park while ounting clouds for example?

Theres gotta be a book about these ty[pes of wierd laws somewhere.
Sean Tracey has my apologies, we all know Ozzie Guillen is an idiot. I'm rooting for you!
Zito is God
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe WriterPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: -54)

Postby thekingthe » Wed Apr 25, 2007 3:41 pm

Zito is God wrote:

So I'll be arrested if I fall asleep in the park while ounting clouds for example?

Theres gotta be a book about these ty[pes of wierd laws somewhere.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Wacky-Weird-Dec ... 1402716702
thekingthe
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Postby CadensDad » Wed Apr 25, 2007 3:51 pm

Art Vandelay wrote:
d18Mike wrote:I agree. And Death Penalty for parking violations.

Do you realize how foolish MLB would look suspending Hunter for an innocent gesture when one of the greatest cheaters in the history of the sport is set to break the game's most hallowed record.

Rich irony, there.

haha...MLB has a rule explicitly stating that this is not allowed, and outlining the punishment. Remind me again what the punishment for using steroids was before 2003, when Bonds is suspected of being on them? Or for that matter, remind me again of what the punishment is now?

Thanks Art, my thoughts exactly, if they say it's ok to run around naked.... then run around naked..... If they say you can pitch backwards, then pitch backwards. The man broke no rules
“Never argue with a idiot, because first they will bring you down to their level. Then beat you with experience.”
CadensDad
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe RankerMock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: -38)

Postby Madison » Wed Apr 25, 2007 6:09 pm

d18Mike wrote:If you take this to its extreme, nearly all MLB players would have to be suspended. Players buy drinks and go out to dinner with old teamates all the time on and off season. They sign bats and balls for other guys before and after games. They even sign stuff for UMPIRES. All of these things -- like champage -- have value and are exchanges between rivals.

Remember the famous Manny Ramirez meeting Enrique Wilson at the Ritz a few years ago? They played for rival teams. If either of those guys picked up the tab for the champage, should they be suspened for 3 year for that?

The Hunter issue is just one of scale and spotlight. This happens on a micro level constantly.

From page 1:

Rule 21-b proclaims "Any player or person connected with a Club who shall offer or give any gift or reward to a player or person connected with another Club for services rendered ... in defeating or attempting to defeat a competing Club ... shall be declared ineligible for not less than three years."

There's a difference in Arod picking up the tab if he dines with Teixeira one evening as friends, but it's a totally different thing if he offers to buy him a bottle of Dom if the Rangers sweep Boston.

Anyway, I doubt anything comes from this. Torri messed up, it's being corrected, done deal.
Yes doctor, I am sick.
Sick of those who are spineless.
Sick of those who feel self-entitled.
Sick of those who are hypocrites.
Yes doctor, an army is forming.
Yes doctor, there will be a war.
Yes doctor, there will be blood.....
Madison
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

ExecutiveEditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerPick 3 ChampionMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: -5140)

Postby OneLoveBoomer » Wed Apr 25, 2007 6:13 pm

d18Mike wrote:I agree. And Death Penalty for parking violations.

Do you realize how foolish MLB would look suspending Hunter for an innocent gesture when one of the greatest cheaters in the history of the sport is set to break the game's most hallowed record.

Rich irony, there.

mmhmm
OneLoveBoomer
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicMock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: -15)

Previous

Return to Baseball Leftovers