Return to Baseball Leftovers

Bobby Seay

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Bobby Seay

Postby Chrisy Moltisanti » Tue Apr 24, 2007 4:00 pm

I got to watch this guy pitch for Detroit against the Mariners last night. Before hearing his story from the announcers I thought he looked like he had quality potential. He's a 29-year-old lefty and has always K'd batters pretty well. HR/9 is a little high, but not bad. Control and walks have been his trouble. He came up with Tampa and put up good results, but then was shipped to Colorado. It's been downhill since then, but maybe just up until this point.

I don't know if he is SP material, the history suggests he was on the Weaver plan (RP to SP, slowly), but didn't quite produce well enough to start a MLB game. With Maroth as a starter and Durbin's failure, I can see room for him in Detroit if he pitches well enough. I've read he once was an uber-prospect that is now known as damaged goods. PECOTA doesn't have prediction for him, neither does James. ZiPS says he can post a 4.5 ERA, 1.35 whip, K/9 6.7, BB/9 3.1, HR/9 1.2. Any sage cafe comments?
Chrisy Moltisanti
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: -37)
Home Cafe: Basketball

Postby MotorCityKitties » Tue Apr 24, 2007 5:26 pm

Seay will NOT be in the rotation. Leyland hates using him for an inning, let alone start a game.
MotorCityKitties
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: -12)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Chrisy Moltisanti » Tue Apr 24, 2007 5:31 pm

MotorCityKitties wrote:Seay will NOT be in the rotation. Leyland hates using him for an inning, let alone start a game.

He's done him well so far. From what I saw, he has potential you'd want to explore.
Chrisy Moltisanti
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby MotorCityKitties » Tue Apr 24, 2007 5:35 pm

Chrisy Moltisanti wrote:
MotorCityKitties wrote:Seay will NOT be in the rotation. Leyland hates using him for an inning, let alone start a game.

He's done him well so far. From what I saw, he has potential you'd want to explore.

I'll let you explore it. He will not be a starter this year.
MotorCityKitties
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby Chrisy Moltisanti » Tue Apr 24, 2007 5:38 pm

MotorCityKitties wrote:
Chrisy Moltisanti wrote:

Do you have anything productive to add other than a relaying of potential preferences from Leyland? Can you link any articles/video/audio where he talks about him?
Chrisy Moltisanti
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby BoilerATC » Tue Apr 24, 2007 5:46 pm

I don't know what makes you think he can be a starter. Don't speculate he can be a starter and rip the guy who says he won't be because he doesn't have sources. Seay started one game last year in the minors and three games in 2002 in the minors. Before then he was a starter. The Tigers have about 30 better options than him to start games. Argue for Ledezma, Miner, Miller, Tata, Jurrjens, Cornejo, Sleeth, Vasquez, and Colon and you might get a response.
BoilerATC
College Coach
College Coach

Postby MotorCityKitties » Tue Apr 24, 2007 5:56 pm

Chrisy Moltisanti wrote:
MotorCityKitties wrote:
Chrisy Moltisanti wrote:

Do you have anything productive to add other than a relaying of potential preferences from Leyland? Can you link any articles/video/audio where he talks about him?

Do you have anything productive that suggests that he will be a starter other than that you liked what you saw on TV?

Here is a thread from a very good Tigers message board.

http://www.motownsports.com/forums/show ... th+starter
MotorCityKitties
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby Chrisy Moltisanti » Tue Apr 24, 2007 6:00 pm

BoilerATC wrote:I don't know what makes you think he can be a starter. Don't speculate he can be a starter and rip the guy who says he won't be because he doesn't have sources. Seay started one game last year in the minors and three games in 2002 in the minors. Before then he was a starter. The Tigers have about 30 better options than him to start games. Argue for Ledezma, Miner, Miller, Tata, Jurrjens, Cornejo, Sleeth, Vasquez, and Colon and you might get a response.

Who says I'm ripping him?

The focus isn't "who can be the next Detroit SP", it's Seay. So Detroit has many SP prospects which are thought of as better, OK, but if he pitches well he will eventually be put in high leverage, win, hold or saves situations. Back to my question, what is his ceiling and potential to get there?
Chrisy Moltisanti
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby BoilerATC » Tue Apr 24, 2007 6:06 pm

Ok, here you go: Seay is a 29 year old left hander who was the last pitcher taken for Detroits team this year. He hasn't been a starter since about 2002. He spent half of last season in AAA putting up a 4.83 ERA, and the other half in DET with a 6.47 ERA. With Jones, Zumaya and Rodney in DET he will never be put in a high leverage situation. He's not even the best left hander in the pen, Ledezma is. He would be a downgrade from Durbin if he was in the starting rotation.

Does that help?
BoilerATC
College Coach
College Coach

Next

Return to Baseball Leftovers