Return to Baseball Leftovers

Phil Hughes

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby alchemy » Tue Apr 24, 2007 11:50 am

High Heater wrote:he didnt start the year poorly in AAA

he had basicaly one bad start out of 3 there why do people not look this up their selves?

look at this:

Career Minor League Rates:
2.13 ERA, 5.69 H/9, 2.04 BB/9, 10.21 K/9, 0.86 WHIP, 0.23 HR/9

First 3 starts in AAA:
3.94 ERA, 6.18 H/9, 2.25 BB/9, 9.56 K/9, 0.94 WHIP, 0 HR

now tell me what sticks out. only ONE stat sticks out from his AAA 3 starts and its from his one bad outing.

christ the kid only pitched in 3 games, his last one was a 2 hit 10k performance.

I've had Hughes on my team for a couple years (keeper league). So I obviously was watching in Spring Training.

His control was very erratic, enough so that he did not look like a top prospect. Except for one batting practice session.

His first start of the season at AAA was good, but unspectacular. Exactly the type of starts he had when first called up to AA. (First couple starts, then he was lights out).

Second start in AAA was terrible.

Third start was terrific.

He's obviously worked out whatever rust he had heading into the season. Given the Jays injuries right now, I'd have to think this is a good opportunity for the Yanks to get a quality start out of Hughes.
alchemy
College Coach
College Coach

(Past Year: -2)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby rainman23 » Tue Apr 24, 2007 12:04 pm

gostanford07 wrote:In my position, I;m actually hoping Yahoo sleeps on this and doesn't add him until after the start. I have #1 priority so I'm hoping I get a chance to get a look at him and gauge whether he will be up for good or back down when everyone gets off the DL.

Totally. That's what I'm thinking. I don't want any part of Thursday's game. That's for information gathering only. First, a serious clue on how ready he might be. And second -- more importantly -- how committed the Yanks are to having him there.
rainman23
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: -8)

Postby Chrisy Moltisanti » Tue Apr 24, 2007 12:07 pm

rainman23 wrote:
gostanford07 wrote:In my position, I;m actually hoping Yahoo sleeps on this and doesn't add him until after the start. I have #1 priority so I'm hoping I get a chance to get a look at him and gauge whether he will be up for good or back down when everyone gets off the DL.

Totally. That's what I'm thinking. I don't want any part of Thursday's game. That's for information gathering only. First, a serious clue on how ready he might be. And second -- more importantly -- how committed the Yanks are to having him there.

His next would be at Texas :-o

It really won't make a difference if they add Hughes today or tomorrow, he wouldn't clear until the day after the game, so you'd be able to cancel your claim in time.
Chrisy Moltisanti
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: -37)
Home Cafe: Basketball

Postby blankman » Tue Apr 24, 2007 12:20 pm

I just hope he doesn't log too many innings on his young arm this year. Bringing him up this early is pretty worrisome.
blankman
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Graphics Expert
(Past Year: -211)

Postby imblotto » Tue Apr 24, 2007 12:57 pm

I remember seeing him on the Yahoo! draft board during our draft. I wonder what would have happened if I drafted him, considering he's not anywhere to be seen.

(not even an N/A)
imblotto
College Coach
College Coach

(Past Year: -1)

Postby Yoda » Tue Apr 24, 2007 1:03 pm

blankman wrote:I just hope he doesn't log too many innings on his young arm this year. Bringing him up this early is pretty worrisome.

Yep, he will be logging high leverage innings in MLB. It won't shock me if he ends up getting hurt.
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that." ~George Carlin
Yoda
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertMock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: -153)

Postby High Heater » Tue Apr 24, 2007 1:31 pm

i donmt know they been pretty causious with him inning wise on pitch counts in the minors.

abuse will always be a concern with pitching prospects no doubt. but with NY is such a a mess rotation wise... they would be litteraly fools to brun him out.

he's looked at as the saving grace of the franchise right now so i think there gonna still baby him in the bigs.
High Heater
General Manager
General Manager

Fantasy Expert

Postby rong » Tue Apr 24, 2007 3:13 pm

imblotto wrote:I remember seeing him on the Yahoo! draft board during our draft. I wonder what would have happened if I drafted him, considering he's not anywhere to be seen.

(not even an N/A)

interesting question. Anyone know?
rong
College Coach
College Coach

Postby rib217 » Tue Apr 24, 2007 3:15 pm

All i know is the suspense is killing me, i want to give him a roster spot BAD......please yahoo add him quickly and only when i am looking for him ;-D
rib217
General Manager
General Manager

(Past Year: -7)

Postby JoshExley » Tue Apr 24, 2007 4:03 pm

Uhm, he's in our league right now...Yahoo is on the ball in PLUS leagues this year!

Here's his player card:
http://sports.yahoo.com/mlb/players/7913
JoshExley
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: -1)

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers