Return to Baseball Leftovers

Phil Hughes

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby angels7777 » Wed Apr 25, 2007 1:35 am

I am a bit skeptical of how many starts the guy actually makes this year...
angels7777
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafeholic
(Past Year: 346)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby echizen » Wed Apr 25, 2007 1:55 am

i have waiver 10 out of 12. i'm hoping for the best. :P
echizen
College Coach
College Coach

Postby smoovethug » Wed Apr 25, 2007 2:46 am

angels7777 wrote:I am a bit skeptical of how many starts the guy actually makes this year...

Same here. Which is the same reason why I'm skeptical of burning my #2 waiver on him in my non-keeper $ league. I already have Lincecum stashed and I'd hate to burn a high priority on a guy who makes a couple starts and gets sent back down. :-o

Hal·la·day, n. 1. every fifth day in Philadelphia. 2. a day of rest for the bullpen. 3. innings eater. 4. doc. 5. ace.
smoovethug
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

EditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerGraphics ExpertGolden Eagle EyeWeb SupporterLucky Ladders ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerTrivia Time Trial Monthly Winner
(Past Year: -271)

Postby nothingtoproveco » Wed Apr 25, 2007 3:00 am

Instead of starting a new thread I'll just add onto him here but I'm looking for a general consensus on if, and if so, how hight of a waiver position is Hughes worth? I have the #1 WW in a 12 man league but am skeptical about giving it up for a player who has never pitched in the majors before....
nothingtoproveco
College Coach
College Coach

(Past Year: 2)

Postby dewey finn » Wed Apr 25, 2007 9:45 am

I hope he pitches a mediocre game so that it's less likely people will notice him as much.
dewey finn
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Home Cafe: Basketball

Postby silverZ » Wed Apr 25, 2007 10:00 am

I'll be watching this game in HD then posting here with my amatuer thoughts. I picked him up in 3 AL only leagues. :-B
Here's the pitch on the way, a swing and a belt! Left field! Way back! BLUE JAYS WIN!
silverZ
General Manager
General Manager

Mock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 50)

Postby PlayingWithFire » Wed Apr 25, 2007 10:27 am

Flip a coin on how he'll do on Thursday, I wouldn't bet on consistent success right now
Are you interested in joining a 28 teams dynasty league? If so, PM me.
PlayingWithFire
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: -246)

Postby jbauer2485 » Wed Apr 25, 2007 11:14 am

PlayingWithFire wrote:Flip a coin on how he'll do on Thursday, I wouldn't bet on consistent success right now

Yeah, I can't see him being a fantasy pitcher this year. He struggled a lot in spring training and a bit in AAA this year too. The Yankees have said they are keeping him on a strict pitch count this year and I still believe them. Their thinking probably is, why not have him pitch in the majors for a month or two until they get their entire rotation back? It isn't any different than pitching in the minors. At the very least I think you can expect him to keep the Yankees in every game, unlike what Rasner\Karstens has done this year, and that's all they need right now.

Since Cashman has never been known to give in to panic moves, I highly doubt that they will be using him for the remainder of the year (unless of course he is completely lights out like Liriano was last year), so I don't know if he's a worth a waiver since he might only be up for a month and probably won't be very good. But it's guys like this that you save a high waiver for, so might as well go for it.
jbauer2485
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: -8)

Postby markj11 » Wed Apr 25, 2007 12:04 pm

My league allows you pick up a player before he makes it to the WW by picking up a no-name and posting who he stands for. This allows people that do their research an advantage. We also get to keep a rookie as an 11th round pick. My Royce Ring = Phil Hughes and I keep my #1 priority.
markj11
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: -10)

Postby Doughhead » Wed Apr 25, 2007 2:01 pm

markj11 wrote:My league allows you pick up a player before he makes it to the WW by picking up a no-name and posting who he stands for. This allows people that do their research an advantage. We also get to keep a rookie as an 11th round pick. My Royce Ring = Phil Hughes and I keep my #1 priority.

That's a pretty good idea. Why let the fact that Yahoo!'s slow on the uptake affect the player acquisition process?
DOUGHHEAD
Doughhead
General Manager
General Manager

Fantasy Expert
(Past Year: -3)

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers