Return to Baseball Leftovers

can you veto a trade 4 times?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby jake_harv88 » Wed Apr 25, 2007 9:45 am

yeah i think the bottom line here is that it wasn't against the rules so how can you possibly be mad? I'd veto that trade even if i were my own (although i wouldn't have accepted in the first place)...
jake_harv88
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Cafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterWeb Supporter
(Past Year: 10)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Rounders » Wed Apr 25, 2007 9:53 am

In my league we had a trade just before the season that involved Alex Rodriguez and Juan Pierre for Ryan Wagner, Alex Gordon, and David Dellucci. We require 5 vetos, so it ended up going through because there were only 4 vetos due to someone not voting in time. But the guy giving up A-Rod and Pierre came to his senses after everyone started making fun of him and he voted against it.
The majority of managers in our league feel that a trade should never be vetoed. I feel that I would let most trades slide, but something as horrible as this trade, I vote against. There's no way I would've voted the trade you made, but in a different league I'm in with my friends, I could see it getting vetoed if my brother or I were getting the better end of the deal (they get pissed that we always win). It's not the way it should be, but that's the human nature.
Rounders
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: -4)

Postby great gretzky » Wed Apr 25, 2007 10:17 am

Rounders wrote:In my league we had a trade just before the season that involved Alex Rodriguez and Juan Pierre for Ryan Wagner, Alex Gordon, and David Dellucci. We require 5 vetos, so it ended up going through because there were only 4 vetos due to someone not voting in time. But the guy giving up A-Rod and Pierre came to his senses after everyone started making fun of him and he voted against it.
The majority of managers in our league feel that a trade should never be vetoed. I feel that I would let most trades slide, but something as horrible as this trade, I vote against. There's no way I would've voted the trade you made, but in a different league I'm in with my friends, I could see it getting vetoed if my brother or I were getting the better end of the deal (they get pissed that we always win). It's not the way it should be, but that's the human nature.

I feel they shouldn't be vetoed really either. However, jsut because people aren't willfully colluding (I'd argue its SO lopsided, it's the obvious conclusion), it has the effect of collusion. That is a ridiculous, ridiculous trade.
great gretzky
General Manager
General Manager

Cafeholic
(Past Year: -7)

Postby josebach » Wed Apr 25, 2007 10:25 am

Very often a league has one or two weak players that don't know how to properly value players. In my opinion, their lack of knowledge and/or fantasy expertise shouldn't throw off the competitive balance of the league, especially when you have a fantasy veteran specifically trying to take advantage of them. Sometimes poor managers need to be protected from themselves.
josebach
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: -3)
Home Cafe: Football

Postby Oatsdad » Wed Apr 25, 2007 10:31 am

I don't think vetos should exist. A commissioner should take care of any apparent collusion, but otherwise everything should go through.

Collusion can take place via drops/pick-ups in leagues without waivers. I saw that happen last year when one guy dropped two stud starters for no logical reason - and another immediately picked them up. He was in second place, I was in first. I still won, but the experience left a bad taste.

And yes, it's theoretically possible that this was a "right place, right time" deal, but based on the league's history, that was extremely unlikely. The guy picked up the players within about three minutes of them being dropped - based on patterns, there was about a 1 percent chance he just happened to be searching the site at the right time... :-t
Oatsdad
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: -7)

Postby ramble2 » Wed Apr 25, 2007 10:47 am

fyi, here's my leagues policy on trade reviews. It's a private league of friends, and this works really well. It allows people to voice concerns without having to veto trades. We haven't had a single problem since we implemented this system, though we've had a few trades modified. In every case, one or both parties suggested a modification that was acceptable to all involved:

If three or more owners express to the commissioner (or vote against a trade on Yahoo), then the trade will be reviewed. The three (or more) people who expressed worry will have to explain why they think the trade is flawed to the commissioner. The commissioner will take this into consideration, and discuss it with the parties involved in making the trade. At this time, either party (or the commissioner) may make a suggestion of how to modify the trade to address the concerns, or the parties involved can explain why the concerns are unfounded. The commissioner will contact the concerned parties, and explain how the trade was modified. The trade will once again be proposed, and hopefully will go through without concern.

If the commissioner is involved in the trade in question, then a deputy commissioner will act as mediator.

If all the parties who voted against a trade fail to lodge a complaint against the trade, then the commissioner has the right to allow the trade without review (though he need not).
"The game has a cleanness. If you do a good job, the numbers say so. You don't have to ask anyone or play politics. You don't have to wait for the reviews." - Sandy Koufax
ramble2
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe Ranker
(Past Year: -6)

Postby sadlyajetsfan » Wed Apr 25, 2007 11:27 am

ill be the first to say the trade wasnt fair but he offered it to me. he first said crawford and myers for manny because he needs power so bad but i told him no and would add in a pitcher, he decided to pick myers out of them. he couldve had felix or bonderman over him if he wanted. also he traded his power for speed in the first place, he originally traded away for reyes and pierre for ortiz,bay,franc pretty much in 2 deals. he realized he had no power and wanted to get manny from me very bad. i dont really care anymore, im doing another trade that if both went through wouldve put me in a bad position with power. traded utley,delgado,kenji for howard and vmart. did it because i can now start brob to get me steals, should keep me middle of the pack and ill be 1st in hr and rbis so ill be fine. thanks for all the help guys, i know i overreacted before but as you can see im over it.
10 team,H2H,5x5
C-Montero
1B-A.Gonzalez
2B-Utley
3B-Longoria
SS-Reyes
1B/3B-Morneau
2b/SS-K.Jonhson
OF-J.Upton,CarGo,Pierre
UTL-Rasmus
P-Hamels,Nolasco,W.Rodriguez,Garza,Wagner,Aardsma
BN-Span,Slowey,Liriano,E.Santana,Gregg, Pelfrey, Street
DL-B. Anderson
sadlyajetsfan
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: -5)

Postby Cooner » Wed Apr 25, 2007 11:35 am

josebach wrote:Very often a league has one or two weak players that don't know how to properly value players. In my opinion, their lack of knowledge and/or fantasy expertise shouldn't throw off the competitive balance of the league, especially when you have a fantasy veteran specifically trying to take advantage of them. Sometimes poor managers need to be protected from themselves.

agreed.

In a league where everyone should "know better" I'll never veto except in cases of collusion.

I've also played in a league where someone took advantage of a new player... in that case there wasn't enough votes for a veto but I certainly made enough of a stink about it that no one else traded with that person for the rest of the season... :-b
Cooner
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: -4)

Postby sadlyajetsfan » Wed Apr 25, 2007 11:57 am

Cooner wrote:
josebach wrote:Very often a league has one or two weak players that don't know how to properly value players. In my opinion, their lack of knowledge and/or fantasy expertise shouldn't throw off the competitive balance of the league, especially when you have a fantasy veteran specifically trying to take advantage of them. Sometimes poor managers need to be protected from themselves.

agreed.

In a league where everyone should "know better" I'll never veto except in cases of collusion.

I've also played in a league where someone took advantage of a new player... in that case there wasn't enough votes for a veto but I certainly made enough of a stink about it that no one else traded with that person for the rest of the season... :-b

theres 1 new person in our league. the owner i was trading with has been doing football,baseball,basketball fantasy for a few years now so he def doesnt fall into that category. i think he didnt realize theres like 4 big sb guys and he ended up with 3 of them making the rest of the owners who are terrible in sb competing for 3rd place in them. he then has no power so i understand why he would offer it. im just going to wait until july and buy steals cheap instead of trying to trade away my whole team for them now
10 team,H2H,5x5
C-Montero
1B-A.Gonzalez
2B-Utley
3B-Longoria
SS-Reyes
1B/3B-Morneau
2b/SS-K.Jonhson
OF-J.Upton,CarGo,Pierre
UTL-Rasmus
P-Hamels,Nolasco,W.Rodriguez,Garza,Wagner,Aardsma
BN-Span,Slowey,Liriano,E.Santana,Gregg, Pelfrey, Street