Return to Baseball Leftovers

Steroidal Power Binges

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Steroidal Power Binges

Postby masterpinky0509 » Wed Apr 25, 2007 3:07 pm

I was looking at some stats for past-their-prime outfielders today and just found these numbers fascinating:

Player A:

5-year homer trend: 10/23/26/31/57

Player B:

5-year homer trend: 16/35/42/24/49

Luis Gonzalez and Shawn Green are the two players there. It's particularly interesting considering neither gets to 25 nowadays. Do you think they were on the juice?
masterpinky0509
College Coach
College Coach

(Past Year: -1)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby knapplc » Wed Apr 25, 2007 3:08 pm

Over under until THAT name is mentioned - 3.5 posts
Keep wreves in General Talk in 2011!
knapplc
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicGolden Eagle Eye
(Past Year: -17)
Home Cafe: Football

Postby teddy ballgame » Wed Apr 25, 2007 3:08 pm

I think most players in that time period were.
teddy ballgame
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: -350)

Postby Pokeyouindaeye » Wed Apr 25, 2007 3:10 pm

Brady Anderson Who?
Yes, I was, uh... I was thinking about ordering the tape, the videotape... about the college girls and the... the wild... the wildness. They're going wild or something? Somebody told me... about going wild.
-Larry David
Pokeyouindaeye
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: -8)

Postby AcidRock23 » Wed Apr 25, 2007 3:12 pm

Steroidal Power Binges= good band name!! ;-D
AcidRock23
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicCafe WriterEagle Eye
(Past Year: -18)

Postby SpecialFNK » Wed Apr 25, 2007 3:16 pm

Gonzo and Green are also now old, er older now. maybe when they hit their top HR output they were at a good age for power? i dont know how old they are now or how old they were when they hit their most HR's, but i know theyve both been around awhile so they must be pushing 35+ right now? and their top HR output years were what 30ish? i have no idea so im asking, maybe thats the answer, that they were in their primce years then?
SpecialFNK
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicFantasy Expert
(Past Year: 38)

Postby teddy ballgame » Wed Apr 25, 2007 3:21 pm

SpecialFNK wrote:Gonzo and Green are also now old, er older now. maybe when they hit their top HR output they were at a good age for power? i dont know how old they are now or how old they were when they hit their most HR's, but i know theyve both been around awhile so they must be pushing 35+ right now? and their top HR output years were what 30ish? i have no idea so im asking, maybe thats the answer, that they were in their primce years then?

Gonzo was 34 when he hit 57 and hasn't reached 30 since. He only broke 30 one other time and that was 31 in the year before 57.

Green on the other hand was in the 40 range for more than a few years so it's not as dramatic a spike as Gonzo. I would compare Gonzo to Brady Andersen, since the situation with Green is a bit different.
teddy ballgame
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby SpecialFNK » Wed Apr 25, 2007 3:27 pm

i remember something i saw on the tv where Gonzo said what helped him was opening up his stance. i guess that could have helped, plus that ballpark in Arizona is a HR park right?
SpecialFNK
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicFantasy Expert
(Past Year: 38)

Postby teddy ballgame » Wed Apr 25, 2007 3:30 pm

SpecialFNK wrote:i remember something i saw on the tv where Gonzo said what helped him was opening up his stance. i guess that could have helped, plus that ballpark in Arizona is a HR park right?

I'm not gonna sit here and accuse people of anything but I don't think opening a batting stance makes you suddenly have 57 HR power at age 34.
teddy ballgame
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Next

Return to Baseball Leftovers