Return to Baseball Leftovers

mike piazza

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby Apex » Sun Jan 11, 2004 2:41 pm

trevisc wrote:i'd love to see him go to 1b so I could use him at catcher but he would actually play 1b. He should do pretty decent this year now that he's healthy.

.280-28-90

That's what I'm hoping too! I'd love for him to move over to first base, leave the wear and tear to others and put in 150+ games in a year as a catcher-eligible player! Unfortunately, I think that's a year or so away, but I could be wrong.
Apex
College Coach
College Coach

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby DominicanLou » Sun Jan 11, 2004 11:26 pm

He is still an excellent player when you look at the other catchers you could have (Leiberthal?). I would take him for sure in the eigth round.
DominicanLou
College Coach
College Coach

(Past Year: -114)

Postby wrveres » Sun Jan 11, 2004 11:44 pm

mightyian5 wrote:i dont see him topping .300. more like .280 or so. he may hit 25-30 homers, and depending on the rest of his lineup, he MAY drive in 100. if hes healthy, i see more like 90 or so.

what other catcher is going to do that? and thats your worst case scenario. I imagine he spends alot of time at 1B this Season ..
wrveres
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe Musketeer
(Past Year: -313)

Postby TheYanks04 » Mon Jan 12, 2004 12:04 am

Piazza has been fighting a move to 1b all along. He really does not want to go there and unless Art Howe develops a back bone, the saga of Mike Piazza and 1b will continue for quite some time. He should be at 1b and Phillips catching perod. That is what gives them the best lineup and use of their players.
TheYanks04
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

(Past Year: -58)

Postby wrveres » Mon Jan 12, 2004 12:18 am

TheYanks04 wrote:Piazza has been fighting a move to 1b all along. He really does not want to go there and unless Art Howe develops a back bone, the saga of Mike Piazza and 1b will continue for quite some time. He should be at 1b and Phillips catching perod. That is what gives them the best lineup and use of their players.

I guessing they will do a 3/2 spilt .. Mike will catch three guys and Phillips the other two. Mike should be taking grounders at first just like Shawn Green very soon. Curious to see if the Mets carry a third Cathcer. My guess is yes, its the Mets, but why? :-?
wrveres
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby LBJackal » Mon Jan 12, 2004 12:22 am

Big Blue wrote:8th rd steal.! he has fallen and maybe will only get 25 HRs hit only 280/290 and get only a 100 RBI which are not great for anywhere but catcher. But since he is a catcher call his loud & clear in the 8th rd

Actually those #'s would be pretty damn good no matter what position the guy played, except 1B or OF.

IF Piazza plays all year, he'll do well. I don't think skill in an issue, it's more of a health issue. Do you trust his groin to be OK all season? Then draft him. A move to 1B would benefit him greatly (in real life and especially fantasy).

"Jack, will you call me, if you're able?"

"I've got your phone number written, in the back of my Bible."
LBJackal
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Pick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: -178)

Postby TheYanks04 » Mon Jan 12, 2004 12:25 am

I have never been a believer in the third C even in the NL. Total waste of a roster spot. When was the last time you needed a 3rd C in a game because your other 2 were unavailable? Once every 5 years this situatiion comes up and it is used as a justification to burn 4% of you rMLB roster. It is ridiculous.

Mets should play Piazza at 1b all the time. He is a horrible defensive C, Phillips is a good hitting C and far better defensively, its protects Piazza's health, so what exactly is the rational for Piazza at C?...he wants a personal record for himself. Can you see Stengal or McCarthy or Weaver or guys like that putting up with this BS at the expense of the team?
TheYanks04
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby Aikoprod » Mon Jan 12, 2004 12:39 am

I think Piazza should be the Mets back-up catcher. That way he gets his 40 starts there, which should be enough to break the record---keeps Mike happy, and he has his Piazza like numbers.
Aikoprod
College Coach
College Coach

(Past Year: 12)

Postby wrveres » Mon Jan 12, 2004 12:40 am

TheYanks04 wrote:I have never been a believer in the third C even in the NL. Total waste of a roster spot. When was the last time you needed a 3rd C in a game because your other 2 were unavailable? Once every 5 years this situatiion comes up and it is used as a justification to burn 4% of you rMLB roster. It is ridiculous.

Mets should play Piazza at 1b all the time. He is a horrible defensive C, Phillips is a good hitting C and far better defensively, its protects Piazza's health, so what exactly is the rational for Piazza at C?...he wants a personal record for himself. Can you see Stengal or McCarthy or Weaver or guys like that putting up with this BS at the expense of the team?

well if its Piazza/Phillips thats two players at two positions C/1B. They would need to carry a backup player somehwere. They could get a backup 1B or a backup C (Vance Wilson). I'm "guessing" since Wiggington can play first they will backup third and then carry Vance Wilson. Essentially carriying three cathcers. Its stupid I know, but hey its the Mets. :-)
wrveres
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby TheYanks04 » Mon Jan 12, 2004 12:45 am

Vance WIlson is simply not needed at this point. Another pitcher in the pen or a backup in the IF that can maybe pinch run and steal a base is a better use of the rsoter slot. But you are right, it is the Mets.
TheYanks04
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers