Return to Baseball Leftovers

Dustin McGowan

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: Dustin McGowan

Postby mweir145 » Wed Jun 13, 2007 10:31 pm

sportsguy138 wrote:
bdrotoronto wrote:As several here have said, he needs to work on his consistency and throwing more pitches for strikes, cut down on his walks. A high percentage of his pitches today were balls, but he was effective in battling through various situations he put himself in.

If he can consistently throw strikes then McGowan has a potentially very high ceiling, he is turning into a very solid pitcher.

I think he's still a while from becoming a solid pitcher. Yes he has great stuff, and has the potential to be. But it's only been three weeks that he's really pitched well. You're jumping on this guy too early. I need to see consistency from this guy for a much longer time till I would consider him a, "Very solid pitcher". I wasn't able to see the whole game today, but I wasn't exactly impressed from what I did see.

Bdro said "If he can consistently throw strikes" that would be the case, and I don't see how anybody could disagree with him there. McGowan might just have better stuff than anybody in the Jays' rotation, even possibly Burnett, and the main reason for his turnaround over the past 5 starts is due to him being around the plate a whole lot more. We're talking about a former 1st round pick here, he's always been capable of big things. In the past when he ran into troubles like today, where he didn't have his top location, he would have just blown up, but instead he ended up with a very respectable 2 ER in 6 innings. The guy has seemingly learned how to battle, something I'd never seen from him before in his 2 years up in the majors, and looks to have finally gotten his mind into the right place. I'm actually feeling very positive about McGowan right now, and I've been one of his biggest non-believers over the last few years. If McGowan hasn't already been picked up in leagues, now might be the time to think about it, simply because of the relatively high ceiling. You can always drop him if he shows the same problems he had in the past.
mweir145
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Eagle Eye
(Past Year: -320)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby dod959 » Wed Jun 13, 2007 10:32 pm

I think it's the groovy wolverine sideburns. I've never seen him with some actual fight in him. He seems like a whole new pitcher, a pitcher with some toughness and attitude. I like it alot.
dod959
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Postby mweir145 » Wed Jun 13, 2007 10:35 pm

dod959 wrote: I've never seen him with some actual fight in him. He seems like a whole new pitcher, a pitcher with some toughness and attitude. I like it alot.

Exactly...that's what I've noticed over the last few weeks. It seems like he has a whole new mindset out there, especially when he gets into trouble. I've always thought many of his problems were definitely mind-related, and maybe he's finally turned the corner in that respect.
mweir145
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Eagle Eye

Postby mrider » Thu Jun 14, 2007 1:28 am

McGowan is amazing with control. His fastball is so nice, he makes everything look so easy and effortless. My 2nd favourite pitcher on the Jays behind Burnett. Its nice to see him transform into a good young pitcher and see him locate his nice fastball right on the outer half.
mrider
General Manager
General Manager

(Past Year: -18)

Postby sportsguy138 » Thu Jun 14, 2007 4:20 pm

mweir145 wrote:Bdro said "If he can consistently throw strikes" that would be the case, and I don't see how anybody could disagree with him there.

No. He said, "If he can consistently throw strikes then McGowan has a potentially very high ceiling, he is turning into a very solid pitcher."

I'm pretty sure he was talking about McGowan's ceiling being high if he consistently throws high. From what I read anyways.
sportsguy138
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: -31)

Postby Ender » Fri Jun 15, 2007 8:23 am

McGowan and Marcum both need to learn how to throw strikes to really become good pitchers.
Ender
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy Expert
(Past Year: -28)

Postby mrider » Fri Jun 15, 2007 8:59 am

Ender wrote:McGowan and Marcum both need to learn how to throw strikes to really become good pitchers.

If they start to locate their pitches though the Jays will have a great rotation. Halladay, Burnett, McGowan, Marcum, and Chacin. I think that would be an amazing rotation.
mrider
General Manager
General Manager

(Past Year: -18)

Postby Super Manny » Mon Jun 25, 2007 5:33 pm

I figure it's time to re-visit this thread. ;D
Super Manny
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Graphics Expert
(Past Year: -9)

Postby mweir145 » Mon Jun 25, 2007 5:51 pm

Ender wrote:McGowan and Marcum both need to learn how to throw strikes to really become good pitchers.

Marcum has been a control pitcher his entire career, I'm not too worried about his ability to throw strikes. :?

McGowan? Yes. He needs to throw more strikes in order to be successful, and he appears to be doing that.
mweir145
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Eagle Eye

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers