Return to Baseball Leftovers

Dustin McGowan

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: Dustin McGowan

Postby mweir145 » Mon Jun 25, 2007 5:55 pm

sportsguy138 wrote:
mweir145 wrote:Bdro said "If he can consistently throw strikes" that would be the case, and I don't see how anybody could disagree with him there.

No. He said, "If he can consistently throw strikes then McGowan has a potentially very high ceiling, he is turning into a very solid pitcher."

I'm pretty sure he was talking about McGowan's ceiling being high if he consistently throws high. From what I read anyways.

I'm unsure what we're talking about here right now. It's true that if he can consistently throw strikes, he has the potential to be a VERY good pitcher, and I'd have to say Dustin is turning into a solid pitcher, what with 6 QS over the last 7, incuding a near no-hitter.

I do have to apologize to him though, I really didn't think McGowan could do this. I didn't think his growth into a major league pitcher was possible, and he's definitely proving me wrong.
mweir145
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Eagle Eye
(Past Year: -320)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Yoda » Mon Jun 25, 2007 6:05 pm

I'm still skeptical that he is really this good but he was once a top prospect. Based on what I've seen and also heard, he has exceptional stuff so we may actually be witnessing the breakout of a pitcher.
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that." ~George Carlin
Yoda
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertMock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: -153)

Postby sportsguy138 » Mon Jun 25, 2007 6:13 pm

Yoda wrote:I'm still skeptical that he is really this good but he was once a top prospect. Based on what I've seen and also heard, he has exceptional stuff so we may actually be witnessing the breakout of a pitcher.

If he has good control, he's a very good pitcher. But that's a pretty big if. He's got solid off-speed stuff and he mixes that up well with his high speed fastball. As Jays fans, I really hope this guy can keep going like this..
sportsguy138
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: -31)

Postby greenandgold » Mon Jun 25, 2007 6:31 pm

Yoda wrote:I'm still skeptical that he is really this good but he was once a top prospect. Based on what I've seen and also heard, he has exceptional stuff so we may actually be witnessing the breakout of a pitcher.

His recent minor league numbers back him up. It seems that he had (has) some kind of mental thing that won't let him pitch well in the majors, but maybe that is gone now.
greenandgold
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Cafe RankerMatchup Meltdown Survivor
(Past Year: -23)

Postby bdrotoronto » Mon Jun 25, 2007 6:33 pm

mweir145 wrote:
sportsguy138 wrote:
mweir145 wrote:Bdro said "If he can consistently throw strikes" that would be the case, and I don't see how anybody could disagree with him there.

No. He said, "If he can consistently throw strikes then McGowan has a potentially very high ceiling, he is turning into a very solid pitcher."

I'm pretty sure he was talking about McGowan's ceiling being high if he consistently throws high. From what I read anyways.

I'm unsure what we're talking about here right now. It's true that if he can consistently throw strikes, he has the potential to be a VERY good pitcher, and I'd have to say Dustin is turning into a solid pitcher, what with 6 QS over the last 7, incuding a near no-hitter.

I do have to apologize to him though, I really didn't think McGowan could do this. I didn't think his growth into a major league pitcher was possible, and he's definitely proving me wrong.

I agree with this. If you look at some of my posts in Game Commentary earlier this year I wasn't high on the guy either, he had a history of control problems and getting tonged every time the Jays called him up, and his first few starts were terrible. I think the Jays only stuck with him b/c they had virtually no other choice at the time.

That said, sometime around the end of May though this guy just completely turned around. He still needs to work on consistency and throwing strikes, but his mental approach visibly looks better, like he is in control of things, and it's become clear that when he is on his stuff is really excellent. Even when he throws balls he can sometimes be effective--I noticed yesterday around the 4th inning his strike:ball ratio was something like 27:21, and he was still throwing a no-hitter! Then the rest of the game he really turned things on.

6 of his last 7 starts have been good now, people's only problem is the one bad one was really bad. I guess that's a chance you just have to take. :o That's kinda like AJ Burnett, sorta..
You've got a diamond, You've got nine men
You've got a hat and a bat, And that's not all..
bdrotoronto
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: -32)

Postby The G.O.A.T. » Wed Jul 25, 2007 1:58 am

McGowan has really impressed me in his last 2 starts. Game back from a rough 1st inning against the Yanks and pitched 6 scoreless and then shutdown the Twins tonight. The walks are still a bit high though? Anyone see this kid breaking out next year?
The G.O.A.T.
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby Zito is God » Wed Jul 25, 2007 1:36 pm

I have basically taken out the iea of dropping him in my dynasty. My rotation already includes Halladay, Beckett, Webb, Shields, kazmir, bedard, Bonderman, and Buehrle so I really don't need him and really need the spots for someone else but he seems like he could break out for a 16 W 3.50 ERA 160 K season next year.
Sean Tracey has my apologies, we all know Ozzie Guillen is an idiot. I'm rooting for you!
Zito is God
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe WriterPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: -54)

Postby Guzman24 » Wed Jul 25, 2007 2:08 pm

Is this guy a better option right now than Jamie Shields and Gorzelanny? Who do you think will post better numbers the rest of the way?

They're all fighting for my 5th SP slot in my 12 team H2H league.
Guzman24
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertMock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: -3)

Postby King Tim » Sun Aug 05, 2007 3:34 pm

My man crush is growing :-D
King Tim
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby The G.O.A.T. » Sun Aug 05, 2007 4:58 pm

Once again he had a rough first inning and worked his way through it. Gave up a leadoff HR that Catalanatto just hit perfectly and then 2 singles. Settled down after that with 2 K's to get out of the jam. I am starting to be really excited about keeping this guy for my last pick next year. :-D
The G.O.A.T.
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers