Return to Baseball Leftovers

YAVQ(Yet AnotherVs Quest.)- Maggio or Pujols, evil #6 pick!

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Id go with pedro

Postby gypsyspot » Thu Feb 27, 2003 2:51 am

Id go with Pedro. He is a clear cut above the fourth best pitcher. If you really dont like taking pitchers in the first, then go with Barry.
I know the future!!!!!!!
gypsyspot
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: -1)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Ugh..

Postby rowedawgg » Thu Feb 27, 2003 3:10 am

Nappy Dugout wrote:Bonds is incredible, though I am suprised that I am one of the few contrarians. If you have standard scoring, Bonds won't get you many hits, or pull your average that much. Go with Pujols, and reap the benefits of his 1b/ 3b eligibility, and 120+ rbi's and .320 average this year.

If your league counts OBP, all bets are off. Bonds will carry it.

That's my issue, in a 5x5 league, Barry's 0 for 0 nights will kill me. However I don't think I can go wrong with him...

On the other hand, would anyone be risky enough to take Pedro over Schilling???!? He dropped in my draft today:
http://baseball.fantasysports.yahoo.com ... s&lid=3268
(I'm 'the bum wranglers',I got screwed with my pitching BTW)

Now I'm considering Schilling @ 6 (if i didn't have enough confusion already :-# ). Thanks for the good posts though, I'm leaning toward Pujols for his versatility and reliability.... though some of you have steered me to consider Bonds more...

Would anyone laugh if I took Magglio #6 overrall??
rowedawgg
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Postby ramble2 » Fri Feb 28, 2003 2:45 pm

Wow, your Bum Wranglers team got Berkman in the 2nd and Manny in the 3rd? Go ahead and grab Schilling if he's available at the 6th pick, and hope that you can do some similar damage in the next two rounds.

I'm in a similar dilemma. In public Yahoo leagues it is easy to find quality pitching late (e.g., Moss). But Schilling is a workhorse, will give you great K's and pile up wins on a regular basis. I'm considering using 8 of my first 10 picks in a Yahoo public league on offensive positions, and using one of my first two picks on a pitcher.

P.S. Why did you go for Buehrle over Wood?
P.P.S. I'd like to draft with a guy who takes Posada as the fourth overall pick. That's one of my favorite things that can happen in a draft. When a guy drafting on either side of you basically announces that he has no clue.
ramble2
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe Ranker
(Past Year: -6)

Postby rowedawgg » Fri Feb 28, 2003 4:30 pm

ramble2 wrote:Wow, your Bum Wranglers team got Berkman in the 2nd and Manny in the 3rd?

Yea, yahoo Public league drafts are weak, but fun.... This was my 'practice' draft for my money league with my friends...

ramble2 wrote:P.S. Why did you go for Buehrle over Wood?
P.P.S. I'd like to draft with a guy who takes Posada as the fourth overall pick. That's one of my favorite things that can happen in a draft. When a guy drafting on either side of you basically announces that he has no clue.

My first pitcher was Halladay. Perhaps my first thought was Blue Jays, uh oh, now I'm gonna need someone who picks up Wins cuz the Blue Jays suck. Wood is on a crappy Cubs team, I figured Buhrle could win 18 or so with a good rotation and a powerful lineup. However, now I see Halladay had 19 wins, thats pretty solid!

Another reason perhaps, I don't remember now, was I think I wanted somone else, but I was drafting with a friend of mine whos drafting for real with me in 2 weeks. Can't give ALL my cards away on the practice!! ;-D
rowedawgg
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Postby dgm6780 » Fri Feb 28, 2003 8:51 pm

Bonds or Pedro
dgm6780
Little League Legend
Little League Legend

Postby stevelabny » Fri Feb 28, 2003 9:41 pm

can i play with some of you guys?

you DON'T take barry bonds at 6. you need a guy who will help you in as many categories as possible. and if theres still a superstar on the board at a scarce position that's the guy you want.

you dont take bonds. period.
you dont take magglio period.
pujols is a 3b SORIANO is a FIVE-CAT 2B. if you dont trust soriano, take pujols. but i say take soriano.

when you add schilling to the mix, it gets harder, his Ks are hard to ignore.

with either pujols, schilling or soriano, you cant go wrong.
but my pick would be soriano

and if you want a superstar 5 cat of....take beltran.
stevelabny
College Coach
College Coach

Postby poundsman » Fri Feb 28, 2003 9:57 pm

pedro wont last that long and bonds isnt worth that high so take puljos i did
When my time on earth has passed, I hope the bury me upside down so my critics can kiss my ass.
-Bob Knight-
poundsman
College Coach
College Coach

(Past Year: -28)

Postby dgm6780 » Fri Feb 28, 2003 10:46 pm

Pujols gives you more the Bonds? Get real man, have you even watched baseball the past 2 years? Bonds hit .370 last year with 46 HR's, Pujols had 34 HR with .314 avg. With Durham leading off this year he should have more RBI chances, which is the only catergory Pujols topped Bonds in 127 to 110. No one comes close to equaling .370 avg and 40+ HR's. Your worried about his 0 for 0 nights? Is it a H2H league?
dgm6780
Little League Legend
Little League Legend

Postby stevelabny » Fri Feb 28, 2003 11:16 pm

bonds + late round 3b or mi is LESS THAN
pujols/soriano/tejada + late round of.

dont you understand that?
stevelabny
College Coach
College Coach