Return to Baseball Leftovers

Howard: fastest to 100 HR

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: Howard: fastest to 100 HR

Postby acsguitar » Thu Jun 28, 2007 4:31 pm

great gretzky wrote:He's also the only one allowed to look directly into Cole Hamels' eyes.


Maybe thats where he gets his power from. I heard you either get amazing powers or explode in flames
I'm too lazy to make a sig at the moment
acsguitar
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
Graphics Expert
Posts: 26605
(Past Year: -117)
Joined: 7 Apr 2004
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: Back in General Talk WOOO!!!

Re: Howard: fastest to 100 HR

Postby dooz » Thu Jun 28, 2007 4:57 pm

Anyone else notice the Howard's company on that list? Not a list on venerable power hitters like one might have expected. Actually, there isn't an about average career on the list. It's pretty interesting.
dooz
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

User avatar

Posts: 1528
(Past Year: 8)
Joined: 4 May 2005
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: Above the Crowds, Above the Clouds

Re: Howard: fastest to 100 HR

Postby Tavish » Thu Jun 28, 2007 5:13 pm

dooz wrote:Anyone else notice the Howard's company on that list? Not a list on venerable power hitters like one might have expected. Actually, there isn't an about average career on the list. It's pretty interesting.


Which list are you talking about?
Bury me a Royal.
Tavish
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

User avatar
CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterWeb Supporter
Posts: 10554
(Past Year: -510)
Joined: 3 May 2004
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Howard: fastest to 100 HR

Postby dooz » Thu Jun 28, 2007 5:55 pm

Sorry. I can't find it now but I saw the list of top 5 or so players quickest to 100 HR. If I remember correctly, none ended with more than 350 HR. Sure 350 is nothing to sneeze at but I would have guessed that if a player was quick to 100 HR they would have had a quite illustrious career.
dooz
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

User avatar

Posts: 1528
(Past Year: 8)
Joined: 4 May 2005
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: Above the Crowds, Above the Clouds

Re: Howard: fastest to 100 HR

Postby Tavish » Thu Jun 28, 2007 6:40 pm

dooz wrote:Sorry. I can't find it now but I saw the list of top 5 or so players quickest to 100 HR. If I remember correctly, none ended with more than 350 HR. Sure 350 is nothing to sneeze at but I would have guessed that if a player was quick to 100 HR they would have had a quite illustrious career.


Ahh. The others after Kiner would probably be Klein and McGwire who came out with a bang and had HoF caliber careers. Mays, Piazza and Pujols were probably close to the 400 game mark. I wouldn't be surprised though to see some oddball names come up in the mix though. It's the same thing with players who win Rookie of the Year. Greatness + longevity is a rare thing.
Bury me a Royal.
Tavish
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

User avatar
CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterWeb Supporter
Posts: 10554
(Past Year: -510)
Joined: 3 May 2004
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Howard: fastest to 100 HR

Postby Ender » Thu Jun 28, 2007 6:48 pm

BravesGuy wrote:
great gretzky wrote:too bad they waited so darn long to get him in there everyday...

Phils should have cleared Thome out much sooner... Howard is almost 28 years old!


To be fair he wasn't a great hitter in the minors until 2004 and he started full time in the second half of 2005. Nobody really slowed down his progression other than himself. An .888 OPS in A+ at age 23 is not going to win you a starting job in the majors.

I still think Howard is more Adam Dunn than he is David Ortiz so his AVG struggles don't surprise me a ton, but man does he have the power.
Ender
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy Expert
Posts: 7705
(Past Year: -28)
Joined: 30 Apr 2004
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Howard: fastest to 100 HR

Postby dooz » Thu Jun 28, 2007 6:50 pm

Tavish wrote:
dooz wrote:Sorry. I can't find it now but I saw the list of top 5 or so players quickest to 100 HR. If I remember correctly, none ended with more than 350 HR. Sure 350 is nothing to sneeze at but I would have guessed that if a player was quick to 100 HR they would have had a quite illustrious career.


Ahh. The others after Kiner would probably be Klein and McGwire who came out with a bang and had HoF caliber careers. Mays, Piazza and Pujols were probably close to the 400 game mark. I wouldn't be surprised though to see some oddball names come up in the mix though. It's the same thing with players who win Rookie of the Year. Greatness + longevity is a rare thing.


McGwire was NOT on the list. It wasn't the top 10 or anything. I think it was the top 5. Kiner was the only one of which I had heard.
dooz
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

User avatar

Posts: 1528
(Past Year: 8)
Joined: 4 May 2005
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: Above the Crowds, Above the Clouds

Re: Howard: fastest to 100 HR

Postby Absolutely Adequate » Thu Jun 28, 2007 6:52 pm

Ryan Howard, Phillies 325
Ralph Kiner, Pirates 385
Chuck Klein, Phillies 390
Bob Horner, Braves 390
Mark McGwire, A's 393


Bob Horner hit 218 total, Klein hit 300 on the nose, Kiner hit 369, and Big Mac loved steroids.
Absolutely Adequate
General Manager
General Manager

User avatar
Cafe RankerMock(ing) Drafter
Posts: 4830
(Past Year: -170)
Joined: 6 Jan 2003
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: Not here.

Re: Howard: fastest to 100 HR

Postby dooz » Thu Jun 28, 2007 6:59 pm

Wow, I definitely didn't think Big Mac was on the list but clearly I was wrong.
dooz
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

User avatar

Posts: 1528
(Past Year: 8)
Joined: 4 May 2005
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: Above the Crowds, Above the Clouds

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 50 guests