Return to Baseball Leftovers

30/30

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

30/30

Postby markj11 » Mon Jul 16, 2007 12:09 pm

There seems to be an unusually large amont of players on pace for 30/30 this year. There even seems to be more rookies labled as possible 25+/25+. Are the days of drafting pure speed guys early gone?
30/30
Soriano 16HR/13SB
Sheff 22HR/16SB
Wright 16HR/20SB
Beltran 16HR/14SB
Phillips 19HR/17SB
Rollins 18HR/15SB
Sizemore 15HR/25SB
H. Ramírez 14HR/27SB
Byrnes 14HR/19SB
Hart 12HR/16SB
Braun 13HR/8SB in 172AB
Pence 11HR/8SB
I ain't askin' nobody for nothin, If I can't get it on my own. - Charlie Daniels
markj11
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

User avatar

Posts: 2102
(Past Year: -10)
Joined: 3 Apr 2006
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: Wright here

Re: 30/30

Postby BigMusky » Mon Jul 16, 2007 12:21 pm

I would say no because a guy like Figgins still have a place in the league. I personally like team speed better then one guy speed. Ask anyone that drafted Lopez this year. I would say though that speed guys that dont hit for average have lost their significance in most leagues.
BigMusky
General Manager
General Manager

User avatar
Sweet 16 Survivor
Posts: 2695
(Past Year: -85)
Joined: 17 Mar 2004
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: "Milla-walk-ay"

Re: 30/30

Postby activechamp2006 » Mon Jul 16, 2007 1:34 pm

Where is MR. Alex Rios on your list?

18hr 9sbs.

and i would say there are more guys likely to go 20-20.
i doubt more then maybe 2 go 30-30.
Considering last season there was only one.
activechamp2006
General Manager
General Manager

User avatar

Posts: 2387
(Past Year: -1)
Joined: 5 Jun 2005
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: 30/30

Postby J35J » Mon Jul 16, 2007 1:39 pm

markj11 wrote:There seems to be an unusually large amont of players on pace for 30/30 this year. There even seems to be more rookies labled as possible 25+/25+. Are the days of drafting pure speed guys early gone?
30/30
Soriano 16HR/13SB
Sheff 22HR/16SB
Wright 16HR/20SB
Beltran 16HR/14SB
Phillips 19HR/17SB
Rollins 18HR/15SB
Sizemore 15HR/25SB
H. Ramírez 14HR/27SB
Byrnes 14HR/19SB
Hart 12HR/16SB
Braun 13HR/8SB in 172AB
Pence 11HR/8SB


I wouldn't be suprised at all if none of the guys above make 30/30. There is a nice number of 20/20 guys though! ;-D
J35J
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterPick 3 Weekly Winner
Posts: 10377
(Past Year: -42)
Joined: 26 Jan 2004
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: 30/30

Postby Yoda » Mon Jul 16, 2007 1:54 pm

J35J wrote:
markj11 wrote:There seems to be an unusually large amont of players on pace for 30/30 this year. There even seems to be more rookies labled as possible 25+/25+. Are the days of drafting pure speed guys early gone?
30/30
Soriano 16HR/13SB
Sheff 22HR/16SB
Wright 16HR/20SB
Beltran 16HR/14SB
Phillips 19HR/17SB
Rollins 18HR/15SB
Sizemore 15HR/25SB
H. Ramírez 14HR/27SB
Byrnes 14HR/19SB
Hart 12HR/16SB
Braun 13HR/8SB in 172AB
Pence 11HR/8SB


I wouldn't be suprised at all if none of the guys above make 30/30. There is a nice number of 20/20 guys though! ;-D


Good points... I'd say Sheff is the only lock barring injury.
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that." ~George Carlin
Yoda
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
Fantasy ExpertMock(ing) Drafter
Posts: 21191
(Past Year: -153)
Joined: 21 Jan 2005
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: 15th green...

Re: 30/30

Postby CadensDad » Mon Jul 16, 2007 2:58 pm

Yoda wrote:
J35J wrote:
markj11 wrote:There seems to be an unusually large amont of players on pace for 30/30 this year. There even seems to be more rookies labled as possible 25+/25+. Are the days of drafting pure speed guys early gone?
30/30
Soriano 16HR/13SB
Sheff 22HR/16SB
Wright 16HR/20SB
Beltran 16HR/14SB
Phillips 19HR/17SB
Rollins 18HR/15SB
Sizemore 15HR/25SB
H. Ramírez 14HR/27SB
Byrnes 14HR/19SB
Hart 12HR/16SB
Braun 13HR/8SB in 172AB
Pence 11HR/8SB


I wouldn't be suprised at all if none of the guys above make 30/30. There is a nice number of 20/20 guys though! ;-D


Good points... I'd say Sheff is the only lock barring injury.


Sheff a lock for 30/30? Sorry man I seriously doubt that. I just dont see him runing the rest of the season
“Never argue with a idiot, because first they will bring you down to their level. Then beat you with experience.”
CadensDad
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
Cafe RankerMock(ing) Drafter
Posts: 5939
(Past Year: -38)
Joined: 25 Feb 2005
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: 30/30

Postby MTUCache » Mon Jul 16, 2007 3:07 pm

CadensDad wrote: Sheff a lock for 30/30? Sorry man I seriously doubt that. I just dont see him runing the rest of the season


Honestly... with the success he's had so far, the fact that he's not using up energy playing the field, and that he's creating even more stress for pitchers while Magglio/Guillen are up to bat, I'd wager that Leyland is going to have him running more.

Frankly, unless the pitcher/catcher matchup is just too strong, I'd hope to see Sheff running in any favorable counts anytime Polanco/Granderson aren't already standing at second base. It appears that Leyland has been thinking very similarly lately. Between the straight-up steals and the botched Hit-and-runs while Sheff is standing at 1B, I'd expect to see him easily get 30 SB this year.

I'm not sure if it's a change in Leyland's decision-making and strategy this year, Sheff's fresh legs, Andy VanSlyke egging him on at 1B, or a combination of all three, but something has got a fire under that guy's azz for the time being, and I don't see him slowing down anytime soon.
MTUCache
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

User avatar

Posts: 1263
(Past Year: -21)
Joined: 16 Mar 2007
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: 30/30

Postby markj11 » Mon Jul 16, 2007 3:20 pm

CadensDad wrote:
Sheff a lock for 30/30? Sorry man I seriously doubt that. I just dont see him runing the rest of the season


He had 2 steals last night and one was home plate. Do you mean starting today at 1:58pm he is going to quit running?
I ain't askin' nobody for nothin, If I can't get it on my own. - Charlie Daniels
markj11
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

User avatar

Posts: 2102
(Past Year: -10)
Joined: 3 Apr 2006
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: Wright here

Re: 30/30

Postby markj11 » Mon Jul 16, 2007 3:31 pm

activechamp2006 wrote:Where is MR. Alex Rios on your list?

18hr 9sbs.

and i would say there are more guys likely to go 20-20.
i doubt more then maybe 2 go 30-30.
Considering last season there was only one.


I listed people that averaged out to a full season would be close and the bottom few being the rookies/new guys mentioned. 9sbs in the first half seems, by my math, to fall quite a bit short. If you want to go that low, how about Arod 31/9, Hunter 19/11, Victorino 11/28, R. Martin 11/16.
I ain't askin' nobody for nothin, If I can't get it on my own. - Charlie Daniels
markj11
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

User avatar

Posts: 2102
(Past Year: -10)
Joined: 3 Apr 2006
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: Wright here

Re: 30/30

Postby CBMGreatOne » Mon Jul 16, 2007 3:47 pm

markj11 wrote:
CadensDad wrote:
Sheff a lock for 30/30? Sorry man I seriously doubt that. I just dont see him runing the rest of the season


He had 2 steals last night and one was home plate. Do you mean starting today at 1:58pm he is going to quit running?



If Sheff gets to 30 SBs, I'll eat my hat.

:-b J/K, but I really don't see it happening.

His career high in SBs was 25, and that was only a mere 17 years ago. He has never stolen 20 in any other season. Now we're going to extrapolate the first half of one season's numbers rather than look at his career as a whole?

This is a guy who steals more with veteran savvy than speed. To call him a lock for 30/30 is... well... it's ridiculous.
CBMGreatOne
General Manager
General Manager

User avatar

Posts: 3163
(Past Year: 86)
Joined: 30 May 2003
Home Cafe: Baseball

Next

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 55 guests