Return to Baseball Leftovers

Potential Impact Callups

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: Potential Impact Callups

Postby Havok1517 » Sun Aug 26, 2007 1:18 am

Fireballer Radhames Liz (Bal - SP) and the Astros #1 prospect Troy Patton (Hou - SP) had their MLB debuts tonight and will soon be added to yahoo.
Havok1517
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe Writer
(Past Year: 24)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby GotowarMissAgnes » Sun Aug 26, 2007 6:44 pm

I saw Liz pitch and was impressed. There was a 2 hour rain delay to start the game, but he came out smoking and was regularly hitting 95-98 on the radar. The Orioles basically told him to go with only his fastball, and other than one that caught too much of the plate (and Hunter's bat), he was not having a lot of problems with the Twins.
"I don't want to play golf. When I hit a ball, I want someone else to chase it."
GotowarMissAgnes
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy Expert
(Past Year: -47)

Postby Havok1517 » Sun Aug 26, 2007 7:40 pm

GotowarMissAgnes wrote:I saw Liz pitch and was impressed. There was a 2 hour rain delay to start the game, but he came out smoking and was regularly hitting 95-98 on the radar. The Orioles basically told him to go with only his fastball, and other than one that caught too much of the plate (and Hunter's bat), he was not having a lot of problems with the Twins.

Something else. With the Orioles having Bedard, Loewen, Penn, Beato, Erbe, Olson, Guthrie, Cabrera, and newly drafted Arrieta in the future picture; with Ray out, am i crazy to think one of these guys could possibly close? I long heard that Liz would move to the bullpen until this year but there are still many possibilites.
Havok1517
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe Writer

Postby DevilDriver » Wed Aug 29, 2007 1:16 am

Ian Kennedy will be called up to start Saturday against TB.
DevilDriver
General Manager
General Manager

Cafeholic
(Past Year: -50)

Postby Surfs up » Thu Aug 30, 2007 9:25 am

Radhames gets the start on Friday in place of Bedard. First outing wasn't so great. I missed out on him . Sorry but I'm hoping he falls flat on his face. The least liked owner in our league has him. I should say the most disliked owner.
Surfs up
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

(Past Year: 718)

Postby Havok1517 » Thu Aug 30, 2007 11:21 am

Surfs up wrote:Radhames gets the start on Friday in place of Bedard. First outing wasn't so great. I missed out on him . Sorry but I'm hoping he falls flat on his face. The least liked owner in our league has him. I should say the most disliked owner.

Wow, talk about not looking past the results. Aside from the 3 run HR he gave up he was actually quite impressive.
Havok1517
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe Writer

Postby Surfs up » Thu Aug 30, 2007 1:45 pm

I wasn't trying to sound negative. But he did give up 5 earned runs in 6 innings. I know he had 5 strike out to go with 3 walks. I guess it wasnt that bad. I wish I had bid a buck more. I just didn't think he would be worth $5-$6 as a keeper going into next years roster freeze.
Surfs up
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby GotowarMissAgnes » Sat Sep 01, 2007 4:57 am

Havok1517 wrote:
GotowarMissAgnes wrote:I saw Liz pitch and was impressed. There was a 2 hour rain delay to start the game, but he came out smoking and was regularly hitting 95-98 on the radar. The Orioles basically told him to go with only his fastball, and other than one that caught too much of the plate (and Hunter's bat), he was not having a lot of problems with the Twins.

Something else. With the Orioles having Bedard, Loewen, Penn, Beato, Erbe, Olson, Guthrie, Cabrera, and newly drafted Arrieta in the future picture; with Ray out, am i crazy to think one of these guys could possibly close? I long heard that Liz would move to the bullpen until this year but there are still many possibilites.

Eh, I think they are still a long way away. Bedard's the only one to have significant major league success.

Cabrera's 26 years old and has a lifetime ERA+ of 92. His comps do include Schmidt and Lackey (and Meche), so he definitely has the upside potential that makes you keep him around. But, there's a better than even chance that he's just a league average pitcher, at best. That's not trash, since average is better than replacement. But, it shouldn't be mistaken for good, either.

Guthrie's pitched well this year...but we need more info. Penn and Olson both appear to have a shot at being good, but probably not aces. Erbe and Beato have both struggled in A ball this year; they are at least 2 and more like 3-4 years away. Loewen walked more than 5 guys per 9 IP in minor league ball. That's not a recipe for success, especially in Camden Yards.

So, I think the Orioles have the makings of a decent, young staff. But, getting that to all come together, in a reasonably good time, while also trying to improve your hitting prospects is way beyond an organization that's showing little ability to develop their talent.
"I don't want to play golf. When I hit a ball, I want someone else to chase it."
GotowarMissAgnes
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy Expert
(Past Year: -47)

Postby Surfs up » Sat Sep 01, 2007 10:09 am

I didn't see the game last night but from the looks of the box score Liz wasn't any better this time out. Anybody see the game care to comment? Yes it was the Red Sox but if he's going to be a major leaguer he has to face the Sox , Yankees and the rest of the league. Sounds like he isn't ready. Same with Andrew Miller
Surfs up
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers