Return to Baseball Leftovers

Potential Impact Callups

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: Potential Impact Callups

Postby GotowarMissAgnes » Sat Sep 01, 2007 3:35 pm

Surfs up wrote:I didn't see the game last night but from the looks of the box score Liz wasn't any better this time out. Anybody see the game care to comment? Yes it was the Red Sox but if he's going to be a major leaguer he has to face the Sox , Yankees and the rest of the league. Sounds like he isn't ready. Same with Andrew Miller

Didn't see the game, but as I said in his first game...the Orioles have told him they want him to focus almost exclusively on placement of his fastball. He's throwing very few breaking balls, and is just working on hitting the catcher's mitt.

I wouldn't be surprised to see him get hit hard under that restriction. And, I wouldn't recommend picking him up for fantasy baseball.

But, concluding whether he's ready or not on the basis of these appearances isn't appropriate.
"I don't want to play golf. When I hit a ball, I want someone else to chase it."
GotowarMissAgnes
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy Expert
(Past Year: -47)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Surfs up » Sat Sep 01, 2007 3:49 pm

He's already on somebodys team in my league. So my interest is purely as a baseball fan at this point.And you are right about the way Baltimore may be handling him. They aren't going anywhere so on the job training is the best thing for him.Work on the things he needs.Is it to early to think he could end up as the closer in Baltimore? Ray will be out all of next year and Baez isn't getting it done.Whats the word in Baltimore?
Surfs up
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

(Past Year: 718)

Postby Danger » Sat Sep 01, 2007 3:58 pm

I know Kennedy's nearinig his IP limit for the season so how many more starts can we expect out of him?
Danger
General Manager
General Manager

(Past Year: -45)

Postby Noggy » Sat Sep 01, 2007 4:14 pm

Danger wrote:I know Kennedy's nearinig his IP limit for the season so how many more starts can we expect out of him?

Probably two more.

Between college and winter ball, he threw about 135 innings last season. I assume they Yankees have his innings cap at about 165. He's at 153.1 counting todays start.

It could only be one more start if the Yankees want to get Mussina back into the rotation sooner rather than later.
Noggy
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: -7)

Postby Surfs up » Sat Sep 01, 2007 4:29 pm

Clemens is nursing a sore elbow and one other minor injury so looks like Mussina will start in his place on Monday. I'm looking at Kennedy more for next year then this year.
Surfs up
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

(Past Year: 718)

Postby Noggy » Sat Sep 01, 2007 6:20 pm

Clemens missing his next start hasn't been confirmed, has it? Nothing was known for sure the last I heard (before game today).

As for Kennedy, I agree he doesn't have a ton of value this year. However it's worth noting that his next start will be against Kansas City and if he gets a third start it would be against Toronto. Those are rather good match ups if you're looking for a spot starter.
Noggy
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: -7)

Postby Havok1517 » Sat Sep 01, 2007 6:47 pm

deerayfan072 wrote:Pearce is in the lineup tonight against MIL. Should be added to Yahoo database after that this week. Maybe a nice source of power if he keeps it up

Yeah, right now he's likely the top offensive Sept. Callup as of yet.
Havok1517
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe Writer
(Past Year: 24)

Postby Havok1517 » Sat Sep 01, 2007 7:14 pm

Rockies purchased the contract of first baseman Joe Koshansky from Triple-A Colorado Springs.

The Rockies will give Todd Helton a few days off this month to get Koshansky some playing time, but the 25-year-old will be used primarily as a pinch-hitter after batting .295/.380/.490 for Colorado Springs. Away from the excellent offensive environment in Colorado, he hit .273/.364/.442.

rotoworld.com

-------------

Dodgers purchased the contract of RHP Jonathan Meloan from Triple-A Las Vegas.

Meloan had a 2.03 ERA and a 91/27 K/BB ratio in 66 2/3 innings between Double- and Triple-A. If he throws strikes, he could be a force right away. We feel the Dodgers should have tried him months ago.

------------------------

Dodgers purchased the contract of shortstop Chin-Lung Hu from Triple-A Las Vegas.

Hu, the Futures Game MVP back in July, has been used pretty strictly at shortstop in the minors and seems unlikely to get much playing time elsewhere now. He won't be an option in NL-only leagues.

------------

Joey Votto is expected to be called up to majors on Tuesday - a day after Triple-A Louisville's season ends.

Votto is hitting .295 with 22 HR and 92 RBI this year. It's likely pitchers Todd Coffey, Kirk Saarloos and Brad Salmon, along with catcher Ryan Jorgensen, also will be promoted. Homer Bailey will remain at Class A Sarasota until the playoffs wrap up.
Source: Cincinnati Enquirer
Havok1517
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe Writer

Postby Havok1517 » Sun Sep 02, 2007 2:57 pm

Rockies recalled RHP Juan Morillo from Triple-A Colorado Springs.

Morillo, who made a permanent conversion to the pen this year, will be making his season debut. He had a 2.55 ERA between Double- and Triple-A. The hard-throwing 23-year-old is a candidate to be the Rockies' closer of the future.
Havok1517
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe Writer

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers