Return to Baseball Leftovers

As of today, which pitcher could win the Cy Young?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: As of today, which pitcher could win the Cy Young?

Postby Yoda » Wed Sep 19, 2007 4:05 pm

nsulham wrote:CC sure did make a strong case for himself today, all but putting the final nail in Detroit's coffin.

I'm pretty sure these things are decided after the season but if they weren't, I'd almost rather CC win it because then I have a feeling Beckett would enter the postseason with a chip on his shoulder wanting to prove everyone wrong.

Either way though you can't go wrong with either of these guys. They are both deserving; obviously I'd like to see Beckett win it but if it's CC that's totally fine by me, he is most definitely deserving.

Man CC has been on fire this year. I still think voters will go with whoever has the most Ws (Beckett) but CC has been the best overall IMO. The question is, can they both win the Cy?
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that." ~George Carlin
Yoda
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertMock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: -153)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby nsulham » Wed Sep 19, 2007 4:15 pm

Yoda wrote:
nsulham wrote:CC sure did make a strong case for himself today, all but putting the final nail in Detroit's coffin.

I'm pretty sure these things are decided after the season but if they weren't, I'd almost rather CC win it because then I have a feeling Beckett would enter the postseason with a chip on his shoulder wanting to prove everyone wrong.

Either way though you can't go wrong with either of these guys. They are both deserving; obviously I'd like to see Beckett win it but if it's CC that's totally fine by me, he is most definitely deserving.

Man CC has been on fire this year. I still think voters will go with whoever has the most Ws (Beckett) but CC has been the best overall IMO. The question is, can they both win the Cy?

Hmm, if the NFL can have co-MVP's why can't MLB have co-Cy's? Probably won't happen but you'd hate to see either guy be called the "loser" in this thing.
nsulham
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicFantasy ExpertMock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: -38)

Postby Big Pimpin » Wed Sep 19, 2007 4:42 pm

Bloody Sox wrote:
Big Pimpin wrote:
TheA'sFatLeadoffMan wrote:He is the best pitcher in the AL, but this year hasn't been his best. C.C. has 20 more IP nearly, that's significant and more than makes up for what is currently a very insignificant difference in ERA. He's posted 2 more QS, put less strain on his bullpen, and the WHIP is also a small difference, I mean when your giving a big edge to differences of less than a 1/10, your being a little obsessive. A pitcher should be determined by his ability to give his team a chance to win non-specific to the quality of his team, and CC has done that better than Johan, and not because he has more wins, but because he asks less of his bullpen, he posts more QS's, puts up nearly identical ERA and WHIP, certainly Johan's K's put less strain on the defense but how significant is that? When ERA and WHIP are so similar I fail to see how such a significant difference in IP and and the smaller difference in QS .

You just said that Johan deserves the Cy Young, the award for best pitcher in the AL. I mean yeah, you can say you'd vote for 2006 Johan over 2007 Johan, but those two are not competing. Just because he didn't put up numbers that matched previous years doesn't mean he should be penalized. Not in my book anyway.

No, the Cy Young is not the award for the best pitcher in the AL. It is the award for the pitcher who performed the best in the AL. The two are not necessarily synonymous. St. Louis wasn't the best team in baseball last year, but they performed the best (when it counted) and as such they won the World Series. If Santana was 10-20 with a 4.50 ERA right now, I'd still think he's the best pitcher in baseball, but obviously wouldn't deserve the Cy Young.

I should have said best pitcher in the AL in 2007 then, which I still say is Johan. I'm pretty sure I said why too. It's not like Johan is 10-20 with a 4.50 ERA. ;-)
Big Pimpin
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

EditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb SupporterMatchup Meltdown ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: -486)

Postby TheA'sFatLeadoffMan » Wed Sep 19, 2007 5:29 pm

That's what I meant he's the bes pitcher in baseball, but CC has out pitched him this year.
TheA'sFatLeadoffMan
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: -3)

Previous

Return to Baseball Leftovers