Return to Baseball Leftovers

Eric Byrnes 3yr. 30mm deal

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: Eric Byrnes 3yr. 30mm deal

Postby Yoda » Tue Aug 07, 2007 4:53 pm

StlSluggers wrote:
cordscords wrote:...it gives them a trading piece to work with in the future.

Who would trade for an aging, high-dollar player (you know this is back-loaded) that we never really amazing to begin with?

Agreed. It's a dumbass move. They have 3 very promising OFs who are contributing right now at fraction of that cost. It makes no sense to lock up an expensive, aging, middling OF for $30mm.
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that." ~George Carlin
Yoda
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertMock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: -153)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby cordscords » Tue Aug 07, 2007 4:58 pm

Yoda wrote:
StlSluggers wrote:
cordscords wrote:...it gives them a trading piece to work with in the future.

Who would trade for an aging, high-dollar player (you know this is back-loaded) that we never really amazing to begin with?

Agreed. It's a dumbass move. They have 3 very promising OFs who are contributing right now at fraction of that cost. It makes no sense to lock up an expensive, aging, middling OF for $30mm.

I was reffering to one of their young OF's as a trading piece, most likely Quentin.

And $10 million per year is a huge discount for a guy who sells a lot of tickets in Arizona and has put up power/speed numbers the last 2 seasons. He will be 34 when the deal is up, not very old at all. I still think he can keep his 20-25 SB speed for the next 3 seasons.

Am I the only person who likes this move?
cordscords
General Manager
General Manager

Mock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 5)

Postby StlSluggers » Tue Aug 07, 2007 4:59 pm

cordscords wrote:I was reffering to one of their young OF's as a trading piece, most likely Quentin.

My apologies. You can see how I thought you meant Byrnes would be a trading piece.
Want an easy icon?
http://www.fantasybaseballcafe.com/forums/viewforum.php?f=133
All you have to do is beat a few guys at picking Sunday's winners.[/url]
StlSluggers
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterWeb Supporter
(Past Year: -301)

Postby skapur20 » Tue Aug 07, 2007 5:01 pm

i think this is a great deal. byrnes is the heart and soul of that young arizona team and its his play, the way he goes about himself in the field and at the plate that is keeping this team in the race.

i dont get why you guys are so quick to write byrnes off as a fluke or as some terrible player.

yeah hes been around for some years, but in only 2 seasons has byrnes had 500+ at bats

2003 where he hit 20 HRs 73 RBIs 17 SBs and a 283 avg
2006 where he hit 26 HRs 79 RBIs 25 SBs and a 267 avg

i think you guys are selling byrnes short. this isnt comming out of nowhere and while i dont think hes gonna be any threat for 30/30 seasons in the future, i dont think multiple 20/20 or even 25/25 seasons are out of question.

every team needs a leader, whose arizona got to lead these young kids? take some pressure off them? Tony Clark??
ummm lets go angels? :)
skapur20
College Coach
College Coach

Postby Yoda » Tue Aug 07, 2007 5:03 pm

cordscords wrote:I was reffering to one of their young OF's as a trading piece, most likely Quentin.

And $10 million per year is a huge discount for a guy who sells a lot of tickets in Arizona and has put up power/speed numbers the last 2 seasons. He will be 34 when the deal is up, not very old at all. I still think he can keep his 20-25 SB speed for the next 3 seasons.

I am sorry but I doubt people pay money to see Byrnes play. If they do, then they are probably related or close friends. This is a career 4th OF who revived himself in AZ but sports a .787 OPS in his career as corner OF. He is easily replaceable regardless of how many HRs or SBs he racks up. He plays hard and I applaud him for hitting the jackpot this year but he is a marginal starter.
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that." ~George Carlin
Yoda
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby cordscords » Tue Aug 07, 2007 5:07 pm

StlSluggers wrote:

My apologies. You can see how I thought you meant Byrnes would be a trading piece.

Ya I should have worded it a little better. No biggie :-)
cordscords
General Manager
General Manager

Mock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 5)

Postby StlSluggers » Tue Aug 07, 2007 5:09 pm

Yoda wrote:

I am sorry but I doubt people pay money to see Byrnes play. If they do, then they are probably related or close friends. This is a career 4th OF who revived himself in AZ but sports a .787 OPS in his career as corner OF. He is easily replaceable regardless of how many HRs or SBs he racks up. He plays hard and I applaud him for hitting the jackpot this year but he is a marginal starter.

I agree, which can mean only one thing. This will happen any minute:

Want an easy icon?
http://www.fantasybaseballcafe.com/forums/viewforum.php?f=133
All you have to do is beat a few guys at picking Sunday's winners.[/url]
StlSluggers
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterWeb Supporter
(Past Year: -301)

Postby Yoda » Tue Aug 07, 2007 5:11 pm

StlSluggers wrote:
Yoda wrote:

I agree, which can mean only one thing. This will happen any minute:

Man that's gotta suck being wrong all the time.

:-D jk
Yoda
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby slomo007 » Tue Aug 07, 2007 5:12 pm

Yoda wrote:

A marginal starter? 8-o 8-o

In what strange universe are 20/30 or 25/30 outfielders marginal starters? Come on Yoda, you're taking this way too far just trying to get a rise.
slomo007
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicEagle Eye
(Past Year: -70)

Postby byfrcp » Tue Aug 07, 2007 5:12 pm

Heh, well it's a better signing than J.D. Drew... :-°
byfrcp
Major League Manager
Major League Manager