Return to Baseball Leftovers

Eric Byrnes 3yr. 30mm deal

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: Eric Byrnes 3yr. 30mm deal

Postby BuckeyeSal » Wed Aug 08, 2007 12:30 am

I repeat, they have 2 younger and better outfielders and one that right now is walking that bust line. A minor league prospect is just that, a minor league prospect until he produces. Quentin has not yet and he might not ever. If they Byrnes go unsigned and Quentin continues his .225 pace next year they look foolish. Look at his numbers, he was the worst bat in the lineup this year and would probably have sat even if he didn't go on the DL. At some point over the next 3 years, if they have to they will be able to move him to another team, maybe for not much in return but a salary dump, but they'll be able to move him.
BuckeyeSal
College Coach
College Coach

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby ultrazero » Wed Aug 08, 2007 12:31 am

What about the injury risk with Byrnes flying around out there. I love him, one of my favorite players. But this is a lot of money.
ultrazero
College Coach
College Coach

Postby arod77 » Wed Aug 08, 2007 5:47 am

They got a good deal for Brynes. He must really like Arizona cuz he just threw away millions of dollar on the FA.

I bet Scott Boras is furious right now for Byrnes taking such a cheap deal.
arod77
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

(Past Year: -2)
Home Cafe: Football

Postby tinfoilxtouch » Wed Aug 08, 2007 5:54 am

I think it could really go either way... He's had a few .800+ OPS seasons and is one of the few guys who steals with a really good success rate. Then again, I still am having a hard time believing guys who play OF and never hit 30hr can now make $10m a year. This isn't good for small market teams...
tinfoilxtouch
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: -1)

Postby Yoda » Tue Jul 08, 2008 12:44 am

Signing doesn't look very good right now especially with Quentin mashing so far at a fraction of Eric's contract.
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that." ~George Carlin
Yoda
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertMock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: -153)

Postby Yoda » Tue Jul 08, 2008 12:51 am

Snakes Gould wrote:
Yoda wrote:Signing doesn't look very good right now especially with Quentin mashing so far at a fraction of Eric's contract.

that trade to the white sox was bad for a lot of reasons. byrnes stinking is just another.

I simply do not understand why teams continue to give out extensions and big money to players coming off a career year. Especially since they had other options.
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that." ~George Carlin
Yoda
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertMock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: -153)

Postby buffalobillsrul2002 » Tue Jul 08, 2008 1:07 am

Yoda wrote:
Snakes Gould wrote:
Yoda wrote:Signing doesn't look very good right now especially with Quentin mashing so far at a fraction of Eric's contract.

that trade to the white sox was bad for a lot of reasons. byrnes stinking is just another.

I simply do not understand why teams continue to give out extensions and big money to players coming off a career year. Especially since they had other options.

Two Letters: PR
buffalobillsrul2002
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: -2)

Postby BitterDodgerFan » Tue Jul 08, 2008 3:04 am

you try playing w/ a busted nut. :-X
BitterDodgerFan
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye
(Past Year: -36)

Postby Grounded Polo » Tue Jul 08, 2008 7:44 am

That contract isn't that atrocious. It's not good but it's only 3 years, they didn't sign him forever. I guess that cash strapped teams giving career year guys longer contracts sends a message to other players that if you play well, you get rewarded rather than letting their young guys assume they're just rentals until the team has to pay up.
Grounded Polo
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: -12)

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers