How good is Melky?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: How good is Melky?

Postby Noggy » Tue Aug 14, 2007 10:31 am

AtlDynasty25 wrote:
bcb wrote:How good is Melky?

Not very.

Steve Phillips, is that you?

Steve Phillips on BBTN wrote:"I like Melky Cabrera for what he is. I think he's a good fourth outfielder, a very good fifth outfielder. I don't see him as an everyday player. Now on the Yankees he can be, because with their offense you can kind of work around him a little bit, but I don't see him as an everyday player on most other teams. He's a role player...Yeah, Melky Cabrera to me is not a reason to not go to the playoffs...I would have explored every possibility of finding a defensive guy to play center field if Melky Cabrera was the sticking point. To me, I don't let Melky Cabrera keep me out of the playoffs if I can bring Eric Gagne in."
Noggy
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: -7)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby chipper » Tue Aug 14, 2007 11:38 am

Steve Phillips continues to sound retarded on an almost daily basis. Only he could make Kruck sound good.
chipper
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: -9)

Postby chipper » Tue Aug 14, 2007 11:48 am

kimchi_chigae wrote:I have nothing against Melky Cabrera, but top 20 OF next year for him is a bit of a reach IMHO. I see him more as a .280 than a .300 hitter. His HR total probably will top around 15. I would take Cuddyer easily over Cabrera next year and I don't even like Cuddyer all that much.

Over the last month, he has "out pointed" guys like Carlos Lee, Matt Holliday, Ichiro, etc.....by ALOT.
So while top 20 next year really isn't realistic, Melky is a solid fantasy option, a solid real life option, and to me, more valuable than a guy like Cuddyer.

Also, Melky has batted 9th most of the year. If next year he takes the leadoff spot for good, it gives yet another boost to his value.
chipper
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: -9)

Postby WharfRat » Tue Aug 14, 2007 1:30 pm

I think he can certainly be top 20 in his peak years, but not next year; even so, he's a guy I'd snag for next year though as a 3rd OFer and watch him improve over the next few years. He'll get the playing time and give the production, and he could surprise you. He was a .280 hitter at 21 and he just turned 23, so no reason to think he won't improve on that and other categories.
1 3 4 6 7 8 8 9 10 15 16 23 32 37 42 44 49 51

8.14.07: "I guess heaven needed a shortstop."
WharfRat
General Manager
General Manager

Cafeholic
(Past Year: -178)

Postby J35J » Tue Aug 14, 2007 1:43 pm

It obviously all depends on the PT he will get. If he is a full time starter in the Yankees lineup he will surely give you good #'s. I haven't gotten into my rankings at all for next year but top 20 OFer seems very unlikely.
J35J
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: -42)

Postby buffalobillsrul2002 » Tue Aug 14, 2007 1:52 pm

Is .300/15/15 really that great? Because that's what he'll be next year I think. He could get 90/80 R/RBI at the top of the Yankee lineup, but I think more than that is stretching it. I see him as a solid OF who fills all categories fairly well for you, but doesn't really do anything special....
I guess that's a pretty solid 3rd/4th OF for you in a 12-team league.... but nothing more....
buffalobillsrul2002
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: -2)

Postby IllinoisBandit » Tue Aug 14, 2007 2:03 pm

Noggy wrote:
AtlDynasty25 wrote:
bcb wrote:How good is Melky?

Not very.

Steve Phillips, is that you?

Steve Phillips on BBTN wrote:"I like Melky Cabrera for what he is. I think he's a good fourth outfielder, a very good fifth outfielder. I don't see him as an everyday player. Now on the Yankees he can be, because with their offense you can kind of work around him a little bit, but I don't see him as an everyday player on most other teams. He's a role player...Yeah, Melky Cabrera to me is not a reason to not go to the playoffs...I would have explored every possibility of finding a defensive guy to play center field if Melky Cabrera was the sticking point. To me, I don't let Melky Cabrera keep me out of the playoffs if I can bring Eric Gagne in."

God Steve Phillips is so dense. The man should be bagging groceries.
IllinoisBandit
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: -4)

Postby AdvRider » Wed Aug 15, 2007 9:26 am

Somehow I missed this fact earlier, but read today that Cabrera is just ... 23 years old!

In fact, he just turned 23 on Saturday. Wow. Somehow I thought he was like 28. At that tender age playing for NYY he's got some major upside potential. '08 sleeper pick ... ;-)
AdvRider
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: 3)

Postby spamnon » Thu Aug 16, 2007 10:25 pm

definitely better then damon next year, and the guy who replaced him in boston, crisp!
I love fantasy baseball but I love fantasy life more... http://www.citypixel.com/AM
spamnon
College Coach
College Coach

Postby PlayingWithFire » Fri Aug 17, 2007 11:58 am

blankman wrote:I think he could be a .285-.290 guy and go 15-20. Johnny Damon of years past with fewer steals.

he's on pace for only 11 in 550 ab this year
Are you interested in joining a 28 teams dynasty league? If so, PM me.
PlayingWithFire
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: -246)

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers